Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post subject: where are they now?
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:18 pm 

i dont suppose i will get a definitive answer but...

why hasnt the band from outer space video benn given a proper release?
where is 1997 cherry red footage?
where is the norwich warrior tour dvd?
where is the 40th anniversay show dvd?
where is the machine stops tour dvd?

lots of stuff fans want to see but have'nt

Post subject: Re: where are they now?
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:48 am 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Last edited by mike coleman on Sun May 28, 2017 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:01 am 

If I remember correctly they was an arguement with the film company and the band. The band were not happy with the quality I believe so it is unlikely to ever see a release.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:42 pm 

apparently that was the case with the 40th anniversary and band from outer space videos. but what of the others? the band from outer space is by a very long ditance the best hawkind live footage ever and deserves a proper release. if dave thinks that isnt any good but the official dvd's that have been released are, then there is something very wrong! knights in space/ out of the shadows vs band from outer space is like doncaster rovers vs real madrid, no contest!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:42 am 

Pray tell what is the "Band From Outer Space" then?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:44 pm 

lordofthehornets wrote:Pray tell what is the "Band From Outer Space" then?

Its from a gig in Tilburg Holland 2006.

There are about 20 minutes of it on you tube

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:14 pm 

band from outer space is a superb multi cam proffesionally filmed show from tilburg 2006. it is absolutely fantastic with great camera work and effects and a massive screen behind the band. it has that line up, db,ad,rc and the late great jason stuart at their peak. it is by miles the best footage out there. i was at rotherham for spacemelt and it is so much better than that. all i know is the guy that did it got so fed up he released it himself. the band need to get this master it and release it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:30 pm 

I totally agree, "The Band from Outer Space" is by far the best live capture of Hawkwind since Space Ritual and it is pathetic that lack of payment issues somewhere down the line meant that it never got released. It captures the true live sound of Hawkwind unlike all other video/dvd releases.
I assume that by mentioning this release this post will be closed down again as it was before.
By searching the internet the whole recording can be found and is well worth taking the time to find it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:40 pm 

IS that the same show as Roadburn, or a different gig?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:59 am 

It is the Roadburn Festival from the town of Tilburg. I agree, it's a good DVD. Not sure what went wrong in the communications between the band and the people who filmed it. The general lack of video/DVD footage of the band is a great shame, particularly from the seventies. Time and again, it all seems to get tied up in arguments. Add to that the Hawklords performance from 1978.

Hell, it would be nice if Cherry Red did something with the old video footage they own. It costs a fortune to get hold of Night Of The Hawks these days. Anyone who fails to understand why Turner got the sack in the mid eighties really just needs to watch that video, in particular what is said when the band comes back onstage for the encore.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:11 am 

I was at the 'Night of the Hawks' gig in Ipswich and I was mighty close to deciding not to see the Hawks ever again because of Turner, he detracted from the rest of the bands performance that much ......... but when I listen to Space Ritual his sound input to the performance is great so I'm not sure when and why it all went so badly wrong .........

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:04 pm 

not seen, The Band from Outer Space before, just had a look, ok..nice multi cam angles, good links, but my pet hate is why add all this post production, split screen, multi screen,,kaleidascopes, et al. all that was ok for first trips into video for tv circa 80's, but now, my opinion it just looks tacky, conceptually and creatively out of date. No need to ruin good band footage with all this overlay. I don't like it !!
so there..
On the plus side its nice to see lights and strobes going at the audiance rather than just "the back projection"...
grump grump

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:16 pm 

Just been listening to Band from Outer Space (and occasionally watching too) - OMG what a great performance, AD at his peak, the late great Jason, Dave and Richard all performing brilliantly ......... would buy it in an instant if it was released, bloody brilliant ...........

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:14 pm 

SidBish wrote:I was at the 'Night of the Hawks' gig in Ipswich and I was mighty close to deciding not to see the Hawks ever again because of Turner, he detracted from the rest of the bands performance that much ......... but when I listen to Space Ritual his sound input to the performance is great so I'm not sure when and why it all went so badly wrong .........

I was there too and completely share the sentiment. Hawkwind had slowly become my fave live band over the preceding 4 years and I was gutted to see the spacey, futuristic vibe that had drawn me in so much had been replaced by a low-budget, pub rock act fronted by some kind of charity shop clown with a foghorn! Dancing competition to Silver Machine? Did that really happen?

Was even more disappointed to find that the whole excrutiating charade had been filmed and released for public consumption, at a time when there was literally no other commercially available video representation of the Hawkwind experience. Worse still, the final product must surely rank as one of the worst live videos ever, barely watchable, let alone worth shelling out for!

And worst of all, its very existence forever associates Ipswich Gaumont (home of so many triumphant performances over the years) with this all-time career low point.

Board index » Test category 1 » Albums + DVD\'s Videos etc