Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10691 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 707, 708, 709, 710, 711, 712, 713  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's on your stereo, man?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:21 pm 

Hawkwind - Live '79

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:47 pm 

Causa Sui - Live in Copenhagen

I'm only on track 3 of disc 1 but ..... WOW! Recommended. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:23 pm 

Opeth - Watershed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:47 pm 

Listening as often as possible to Levitation ~ imho, the best Hawk lp ever ... make that the best lp ever !

This is the first one for which they used the digital recording process, not only that, the writing and playing are on a level surpassing everything else. Huw made his return and what a return ~ his skills on guitar are devastating, I mean literally punching holes through intergalactic space. Ginger Baker powers the nuclear drive to the very limits of human possibility. Just one perfect moment in time when it all coalesced.

The Lewisham 18 December '80 show preserved on the two companion CDs in this 3-disc box set documents the awesome live power of this combo, proving that the studio album was no trickery, just the real sound of the best band in the mighty cosmos!

P.S.- the Rockfeild Session '79 (Hawklords) added to the same disc (one) as Levtation lp is cool for historical significance, but isnt as good as the rest of the material in the box set

Last edited by vikmarlo on Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:13 pm 

I always said, 'Levitation' and 'The Chronicle Of The Black Sword' were mine all time favorite. After them Calvert era 'Quark, Strangeness....' and 'PXR5'. Than Lemmy era. After Lemmy era 'Astounding sounds...' and 'Distant Horizons'. Live albums: 'Live Chronicles', 'Live 79' than 'Space Ritual'.

PS Never liked to much first album and 'In Search Of Space' believe it or not. Half of the first album is cool; first and last song and third song, rest of it boring for me. 'In search of space' first song 'You shouldnt do that' and 'Master f the universe' rest of it boring to me. Those albums above are much better. But, many fans, many different views.

Just listened two days ago 'quark, strangeness...', 'PXR5' and than blow my mind with 'live 79'. All from vinyl first press. 'PXR5' never liked before, only album which I needed to listen more times, now I like every song on it.

I was listening 'Levitation' few weeks ago, maybe month. I my head is now Calverts 'captain lockheed....'

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:28 pm 

indeed & agreed, Black Adder ! something here for everyone ~ I definitely put the Calvert era recordings in the upper echelon as well !

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:38 pm 

Thats right Vik! 'Levitation' I have on CD. Griffin release, which have bonus track 'nuclear toy' from single b side and it is cool sleeve:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:54 pm 

I have been thinking about tracking down a CD copy of Levitation on the Griffin label, just to compare the sound with the Atomhenge version. I wonder which sounds closer to what the vinyl sounds like. Even though they recorded in digital, the original mix was done for vinyl since CDs didn't come out until a year later. That means the vinyl mix is the original mix!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:14 am 

Good point Vik. Let us know when you compare. I never heard atomhenge release so dont know. This Griffin release sound is very good, but who knows if it is better or not. Sometimes new mix is better sometimes not. This Griffin release is from 1994, how much this independent label had money, time or whatever to play with sound in those days dont know, I bet it is close to lp version. If they didnt have master tapes which is posible than it is strait from LP. Now these days people are playing to much with sound, so atomhenge is new mix, is it better or not dont know. I would bet Griffin is closer to Lp or even direct from Lp, atomhenge is new mix.

I never heard this album on Lp. I had Lp few years ago, german release, but sold it to one guy before I heard it. And dont know if german press is good as Uk press or uk as german.
But it would interesting to compare Griffin with Atomhenge.

Just saw it on your post, I never new until this moment (even it say on sleeve) that this was their first album digitaly recorded :). I didnt know that this was posible in 1980. I know cd was invented in 1982 or something.
When I was listening album it have this digital sound but I thought thats because it is on cd.... :)
Never noticed.

There is one cheap here for 5$ plus shipping, guy is from usa.

http://www.musicstack.com/show.cgi?f=1& ... levitation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:33 am 

Levitation is one of my 3 favourites along with Quark and Warrior. I have it on blue vinyl but I also have a couple of ripped CDs to compare.
One was copied from an old CD release (maybe the Griffin release above? Were there other earlier ones?). The second is from the 'Deluxe 2009'
release (I'm assuming that's the Atomhenge release?).

The two copies are VERY different - the 2009 copy is MUCH louder and more compressed. I didn't like it - it just sounded 'wrong' compared
to the old blue vinyl I'm so familiar with. Hearing that actually stopped me ordering a new copy of the CD - I preferred to listen to my older CD rip.

I've just ripped the first track, Levitation, from both CDs onto my computer (.wav) and loaded them up into Audacity. The 'Deluxe 2009' is the top
one.

The difference is pretty obvious!

[edit] I've just volume matched the two versions - I had to drop the 2009 version by a whole 5dB
to match the old CD! Of course, when volume matched, the 2009 version sounds really bright and
thin compared to the old one.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:32 am 

This is great info Steam! Thanks! Thats what I thought. New releases (not only hawkwind), mix, are crazy loud, thats very often last 10 or 15 years. Reading about that people complain in comments on amazon, how those new mixing is often not that good. Older cd's on the other hand, specialy from 1991-1998, are maybe the best, most of them. Older from 80's not that good too. It was all guilty those new way of mix with sound, dont know why all do that. Older cd's also specialy from not so big labels often didnt have master tapes so they used original Lp's as source. CD from 1994 and this from 2009 is not surprise for me, heard about this problem many times.

Now, next thing is to find out is Griffin cd a new mix, or it is Lp copy and what is different.

Oh Steam, one more thing. There was three releases on cd before 2009 release on atomhenge.
First was on Castle in 1987, second was Griffin 1994 and Esential/Castle in 1999. So, dont know which one you have. Griffin is not very loud recorded. But, dont know about those other two.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:00 am 

interesting! - levitation is an album close to my heart as the first time i seen the mighty Hawks was november 1980 in dublin - changed my life - i won't pontificate - i caught ginge's drum stick when he threw it into the sit down audience and gave it to the older girl sitting beside me - she seemed to be a real Hawk head! - Steve Zodiac/Vardis backed up - brill! - back then the black vinyl of levitation was harder to get than the blue in dublin - i have both and love it - i seen ac/dcot live in '79 about 6 month's before bon died - great gig - but the hawk's in 1980 was really mind blowing! - onward flies the hawk! - my favourite album is Hall - guess we won't get an acoustic version of Windows Of Change!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:17 am 

please excuse my mobile phone predictive text error's!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:39 am 

Interesting comparisons Steam...I have put off getting Atomhenge releases mainly for this reason, despite the excellent content and packages. I know that looking at a graph is not the fully story when it comes to dynamic range but it is an indication. That doesn't look as bad as some I've seen, and I gather these remasters are not that heavy handed in general, but still it is a shame that the norm has been to make everything 'louder' for no good reason.

When I sent an album to get mastered I specifically asked for it to be mastered as if it were done in 1990. I don't care if it sounds quieter because I know when you turn up the volume if it's more dynamic it will sound better. Steven Wilson's Hand Cannot Erase is a great example of that.

Back to Levitation - it's just is too good an album for me to want to hear a re-compressed version. I agree it's one of their best.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:02 pm 

yeah - back of the old levi/wrangler denim jacket! - the old warrior letter's - done by my own fair hand + long hair! - in finglas nobody heard of hawkwind - 'my band' - gotta retrace my baby magnetism - haha! - mwobhm was just starting!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10691 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 707, 708, 709, 710, 711, 712, 713  Next

Board index » Test category 1 » Any Other Business