Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 633 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43
 Post subject: Re: Watched any good movies recently?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:58 am 

Brown Dawn wrote:indeed - she's good and innovative - funny and not run of the mill! - used to enjoy robert robinson on ask the family! - monday's also I think it was - he had the 'presence'

Didn't her Dad, Alan do that show?

Just finished bingewatching all 26 episodes of Dollhouse. Fantastic sci-fi. Looking forward to seeing Rogue One.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:02 am 

SteamAbacus wrote:I saw Arrival at the cinema today.

A cut above your average sci-fi blockbuster and refreshingly free of whizz-bang 'action' sequences.

Quite a few cuts above IMHO. Great film, for me easily up there with Moon, District 9 & Gravity.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:47 am 

Not so much recently, but when I was a teenager I saw a late night foreign language film (with English subtitles) on TV that stuck in my memory. Unfortunately, I had no recollection of what it was called, who directed it, who starred in it, or anything other than the basic plot and the surprise ending! My memory was that it was quite '70s' (which would tie in with my seeing it sometime in the late 70s / early 80s) and that it was probably Italian.

I've searched on the internet for it before but, with so little to go on I drew a blank. Well, tonight my web fu must be strong! I can't even remember what prompted me to attempt another search but .... I found it!

It was called 'Circuito Chiuso' (Closed Circuit) directed by Giuliano Montaldo in 1978. I now have a stupid sense of achievement. :D

I even found the first 15 minutes (minus English subtitles) on YouTube ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8EyM7XKWdM

There's even the entire film dubbed into Russian ( :? ) on YT but unfortunately no English subtitled version. I'll have to keep looking - but at least I know what I'm looking for now.

A plot overview from fright.com ...

Spoiler:
A word of advice to those wanting to see this film: try not read too much about it beforehand (including this review). It’s an Italian made movie theater set murder mystery that gradually morphs into something far stranger and horrific.

The Package
Like many giallos (erotically-charged Italian thrillers) of the seventies, 1978’s CLOSED CIRCUIT (CIRCUITO CHIUSO) was made for Italian television but played theatrically in several European countries (although it doesn’t appear to have ever reached the U.S.). The top-heavy cast includes the late giallo and spaghetti western veteran Tony Kendall, as well as French starlet Aurore Clement and, in the movie-within-the-movie, the Italian action movie mainstay William Berger.

The Story
A strikingly diverse group of people have shown up to see a crappy Spaghetti Western at a big city movie theater. It seems there’s some nefarious business going on among a couple of the patrons, one of whom keeps leaving his seat. Then it happens: during the film’s climax, depicting a GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY-esque stand-off, a middle aged man slumps over in his seat with a gunshot wound in his chest.
The projection is shut off and the theater closed. No one is allowed in or out but for several detectives called in to investigate. The theater is searched thoroughly but no firearms are found; likewise, the theater’s patrons and employees are all interrogated but no pertinent clues turn up.
Next the detectives investigate the life of the slain man. They learn he was a film-obsessed loser whose landlady claims he had no friends or enemies to speak of, and so nobody who’d want him dead.
The detectives then try to recreate the crime, rerunning the film with all the patrons in the same places they sat when the crime occurred--except for the victim’s seat, which is occupied by an usher. Sure enough, at the exact point in the film when the previous guy died the usher is shot.
Tensions mount among the theater patrons and law enforcement officers stuck in the theater. Eventually a third reenactment is staged, this time with the police commissioner sitting in the cursed seat…and I won’t reveal what happens next.

The Direction
This film is a first-class exercise in misdirection, with helmer Giuliano Montaldo making us think we’re viewing a conventional murder mystery. The mystery comes complete with a highly involved and detailed investigation, the details of which are laid out in the highly methodical manner of a Sherlock Holmes mystery.
This is all a ruse, of course, as the film’s true driving force is supernatural. The solution to the mystery, it must be said, isn’t made especially clear; a last-minute comparison to Ray Bradbury’s classic science fiction story “The Veldt” only further confuses matters, as the proceedings simply don’t work as science fiction. I’ll also gripe about some less-than-convincing plot elements, such as the idea that an extremely large and diverse crowd of people--whose ranks include an old lady, several young women and a little boy--would turn up for a matinee showing of a crappy western, as this film would have us believe.
But as an eccentric meditation on the destructive power of celluloid, CLOSED CIRCUIT’S quality is undeniable, with a climactic sequence that displays considerable imagination and audacity in its depiction of real and reel world characters interacting (revealing details would be unfair). In this manner the film ranks with similarly themed classics like SHERLOCK JR, Ivan Zulueta’s ARREBATO and David Cronenberg’s VIDEODROME--high praise indeed!

Vital Statistics

CLOSED CIRCUIT (CIRCUITO CHIUSO)
IVC

Director: Giuliano Montaldo
Producers: Mario Gallo, Enzo Giulioli
Screenplay: Nicola Badalucco, Mario Gallo, Giuliano Montaldo
Cinematography: Giuseppe Pinori
Cast: Aurore Clement, Flavio Bucci, Tony Kendall, William Berger, Giuliano Gemma, Luciano Catenacci, Giovanni Di Benedetto, Umberto Gradi, Elisabetta Virgili, Mattia Sbragia, Michaela Martini 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 633 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

Board index » Test category 1 » Any Other Business