Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1848 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124  Next
 Post subject: Re: ~~ thought ~~
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:37 pm 

...they keep getting stupider and stupider ...

from Reuters (world):
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/world ... 9V23N?il=0

strangely, the Reuters article actually uses the word in print !
:?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:31 pm 

"In 2008, Conservative peer and party spokesman Lord Dixon-Smith apologised for using the same phrase in the House of Lords, saying that it was not appropriate and that he had "left his brains behind".

The peer was not dismissed. "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40555639

Tories. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:09 pm 

just arrived in france for 10 day's - bit of a get together with the siblings - woohoo! - early swim tomorrow!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:05 am 

Bon voyage, passage sûr, Monsieur Brown !

:-)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:08 am 

...eQ...

...and again !

just like Reuters, the BBC put the word in print !

Am I the only one who finds the printing of the word objectionable ~ I mean, FFS !

an MP may lose her seat in Parliament over a one-time utterance - folly, to be sure ~ whilst two major media webpages enshrine the word in cache ???????

This is unbelievable to me !!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:30 am 

The only thing that surprised me slightly about the BBC News piece was that there wasn't a disclaimer - "The following piece contains language likely to cause offence" or some such - that they sometimes print, although it was pretty obvious from the headline that racist language was involved.

When reported on the tv news the word was bleeped on the audio and asterisked out after the first letter as might be expected on broadcast media.

In the written press though, I think it important that what was actually said should be reported accurately (and just the once). If someone is not a native english speaker, it's as well they can find out exactly what is considered socially acceptable language and what most certainly isn't - n***** doesn't stand for 'numpty'!

Words, after all, are just words - it's context and usage that give them meaning and weight.

Personally, I'm not at all offended by 'foul' language and among certain friends anyything goes - but I wouldn't dream of swearing in from of my mother as I know it would offend her.

Conversely, I find use of language as a weapon to cause deliberate hurt objectionable whether 'foul' or otherwise.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:07 pm 

I'm not here to disagree with you, Steam ~ your points are certainly valid and I agree with each one, to varying degree.

I'm sure most here know that I am not offended by 'foul' words ~ but the n-word I never use ~ never have, never will.

SteamAbacus wrote:When reported on the tv news the word was bleeped on the audio and asterisked out after the first letter as might be expected on broadcast media.

The above [points to] where I see hypocrisy on the part of those printed web-media (Reuters & BBC).

SteamAbacus wrote:Words, after all, are just words - it's context and usage that give them meaning and weight.

again, I agree ~ except the article gave that context, and in my view that is no different than a person intellectualising the word in conversation, which, at least in North American culture, is gravely frowned upon.

*edit:
having said that, I acknowledge the prevalence of the n-word due to a significant part of the African-American community having taken that word back for use amongst themselves, which, again in my view only contributes to it's continued usage overall ~ though such usage is certainly a different matter where that is concerned.

As far as non-native speakers, there are infos distributed by customs and immigration outlining which words will get a person banned from market and which [are likely to] get a person injured.

Those webpages will remain
for as long as humans are here. And so will racism.

We start to run into trouble when racial\ethnic groups of people band together for the purpose of looking for things to be offended by (now I'm thinking of the ADL) and decide that innocuous language is somehow offencive.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:43 pm 

Location: Lost beyond the Black Hole's apparent horizon - Yorkshire
Clarkson got in trouble for not actually saying the word. While offensive, it is no worse than a black person calling a white person an abusive term based on their heritage. Same rules for all I say - I believe it's called equality.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:02 pm 

Well, in principle, yes, HairyGT4.
But in practice, a Caucasian will never know the African-American experience. Centuries of slavery of one's ancestry, followed by a civil war which split a nation in-two, in which many Caucasian-American's ancestors fought and died to keep slavery legal, then Jim Crow, segregation, the KKK, discrimination, hatred, bigotry, prejudice, economic and social inequality, police brutality.

I get upset when an African-American calls me "Cracker", to which I take offence by letting the person know I I've never even held a whip much less used one on a person. Then the matter is forgotten ~ by me at least. Not so for my African-American neighbours. For them it is seemingly never over.
That fact became even more glaringly obvious during the Obama years, sad to say...everywhere from the halls of Congress to the streets of so-called justice.
Perhaps it will end when everyone accepts that Whites aren't white and Blacks aren't black. Not only are those two words not accurate in describing skin, they are inherently polarizing terms in every literary sense.

Brown and beige are two shades of the same. That is reality.
unfortunately when it comes to cultural experience, having brown skin means something those of us with beige skin
cannot know first hand.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:41 pm 

My point is Equality needs to mean just that. All races have been slaves at some point in History. We should be looking forward, not back.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:46 pm 

Indeed, HairyGT4 ~ to that I completely agree.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:46 pm 

thanks for your good wishes Vik! - hoping all is well with you! - random thought on the above conversation - my sister adopted an ethiopian boy 7 years ago - in fact that's who i'm with on holidays at the moment - (he's great fun!) - yeah he now understands the rudimentary's of what happened him - tell's me he's brown - fits right in with everybody - and it's real affection not just because his skin is a different colour - he's a human being and is beginning to ask about his 'other mother and father' so that's a road to be travelled - racism is a terrible thing - as is bullying on a community/social/work level - there's still people around who think they are more equal than others unfortunately

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:39 pm 

you're right Brown Dawn.
I'd like to think that the apparent recent rise\surge of racism\bullying is the last death-gasp of the culture of divisiveness and the world is on the cusp of realisation that the only way humankind even have a chance of survival as a species is if we recognise the responsibility we all have toward one another.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:48 pm 

Bullying is a difficult one - it starts pre-school and continues throughout life in school and the workplace. It's roots are deeply seated in our intrinsic psychology. It is as prevalent as ever, pussibly even more so with our vastly improved communications.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:45 pm 

I agree with the deep seated phychological aspect and would like to add; Until humans can respect the lives of All sentient beings on this earth, then there's no chance of an end to bullying each other.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1848 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124  Next

Board index » Test category 1 » Any Other Business