Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post subject: The ongoing saga of the Atomic Sunrise 1970 footage
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:57 pm 

This cropped up on here a few years ago somewhere (can't find the thread), only to disappear into the sands of time.

It seems to have reappeared on the "funding platform" indiegogo.

For those who don't remember or didn't see it the first time around, a clip appeared on Youtube I think two years ago, of footage of David Bowie, Genesis and Hawkwind performing at the Atomic Sunrise Festival in 1970. The actual video footage is really good quality considering the age, though the audio seems to have been taken from other sources, which seems to cast doubt on the completeness of the package, as it were. I was rumoured that the bloke who has the video footage didn't actually have the audio, and had tried and failed to get some interest from various parties.

Here is the original footage:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDeOtQCr5SE

Towards the end you see the original lineup of Hawkwind in a few short clips, complete with mime artist, Dave on acoustic, Huw on electric, and presumably the late John Harrison on bass.

Anyway, the guy has re-emerged, and though seems to have skirted over the issue of audio, is now trying to get funding from Joe Public (i.e. us). It seems the target is $15,000, with 64 days remaining.

To be honest I'm not entirely sure how legit this is, and it is bugger all to do with me, other than that I am interested in seeing the footage.

Here is the link:
http://www.indiegogo.com/atomicsunrise

Needless to say, I don't know what Kris and Dave's take is on this, and if it's something they disapprove of, I'm sure the thread will be terminated. I certainly don't want to get their backs up.

It's worth mentioning in the meantime anyway. Quite why the guy's sat on the footage all these years is beyond me. If there is audio with it, it surely is priceless footage.

Post subject: Re: The ongoing saga of the Atomic Sunrise 1970 footage
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:34 pm 

Only $600 raised so far. You have to ask what efforts have been made to contact Hawkwind/Genesis/Bowie people. 400 quid ain't a lot of money for a lot of people. Yeh I'm a bit sus as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:04 pm 

Image Image

I like the irony that Hawkwind had a mime artist performing at this show..

Last edited by JephraimToe on Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:09 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:17 pm 

It does look suss I'll agree, too suspect for me to put any money towards it. I'll wait and see if anything comes of it. There may be a host of fanatical Bowie and Genesis fans willing to throw money towards it. In all fairness, the site only went up three days ago, and the $600 gathered so far are from two people so maybe he will get the money.

I think I read on youtube that representatives of Bowie and Genesis were approached about this, but declined. The apparent lack of audio is quite a major hurdle!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:03 pm 

Would love to see this restored and in the right hands the audio could be dubbed in neatly enough I imagine...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:46 pm 

$15,000 ..
Adrian Everett wrote:..this will fund the digitising of the material and then identifying and logging the footage of groups and characters involved. We will then edit together those performances, and other sequences, most relevant to this project. Still images will be identified for use in the accompanying book. A website will also be developed about the event and linking to the websites of people involved..

Just read that bit. Sounds like he intends to make a documentary film from the footage (?) ..

:? Dunno what to make of it all really: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiegogo#Crowd_funding

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:58 pm 

Found the original thread on here:
atomic-sunrise-footage-found-t2929.html

The audio can easily be synched with the video only if it exists.

It's difficult to know what to make of it really. Part of me thinks, wow, this really must see the light of day, and part of me thinks he's talking up a grand scheme to justify the $15,000 price tag, which he could well pocket and disappear into the sunset with. After all, he did a good job of vanishing for several years after originally posting the footage so what's to stop him doing the same again, this time with a sack full of cash?

If there were assurances that it was legitimate and not an elaborate fraud, and that the 8-track audio definitely did exist, I'd be more interested.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:57 pm 

very cool to see the orig. band playing live, even
just a glimpse ! hope we get more.
cheers for posting Dell1972
:)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:37 am 

This was another clip that I could not watch at the time it made it's buzz. thnkas for bringing it up.
I find it hard not to think that the whole thing WITH audio exists, but:
I also think, for me, the magic of hawkwind talkies and silents is what Jephraim Toe does with them here.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:45 am 

http://www.roundhouse.org.uk/whats-on/p ... -screening

Looks like its finally gonna see the light of day :)

Unseen David Bowie, Genesis and Hawkwind... the first cut of the Atomic Sunrise Festival 1970 will be screened at the Roundhouse, the venue where it first happened.

It has been rumoured to exist for decades and now here it is. This is the missing film capturing the transition of David Bowie from acoustic to electric glam rock, and the emergence of Genesis and Hawkwind. The material includes:

* The only footage of David Bowie and The Hype - the precursor of Ziggy.

* The only footage of the first 'professional' line-up of Genesis - who were signed to Charisma a few weeks later.

* The only footage of the very first line-up of Hawkwind.

This is one of the most important pieces of rock music history. All proceeds from the screening will contribute towards further editing of the film

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:32 pm 

The term "Holy Grail" comes to mind.
Yeah, I know, most pine for the Space Ritual concert footage. I would do just fine with 1970... Huw, John Harrison, et al. Wonder how many numbers HW perform in this?
Hope this guy gets the $$ he's looking for...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:52 pm 

Good article in todays Independent concerning this:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/atomic-sunrise-a-rare-glimpse-of-david-bowie-genesis-and-hawkwind-on-the-brink-of-stardom-8466113.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:26 pm 

It still remains unclear just what sound he's adding to the footage though. If he actually had some genuine audio from the festival, surely things would have run smoother:

'A deal with a record store owner provided a small budget to begin a first cut, and a chance encounter put him in touch with the original sound man at the gig, who helped him put music to the silent film footage.

“I developed a method of playing and replaying the footage – spotting the start of a song and then looking for clues such as an opening word of the lyric or an instrument.” He was working after-hours in a friend's cutting room, but progress stalled when Everett's backer pulled out during the early 1990s recession. Aside from a few assembled performances, the rushes remained just that, sequestered in boxes for the next 20 years, largely unedited and virtually unseen.'

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:03 am 

Did anyone go to the screening at the Roundhouse?

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:05 am 

Well, if the film is never going to surface, would anybody like to spend just a few dollars on a poster? :o
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DAVID-BOWIE- ... 5664766f3a

Board index » Test category 1 » Albums + DVD\'s Videos etc