Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post subject: The Charisma Years 1976-1979 (4CD Box Set)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:40 pm 

A boxed set of the Charisma albums is coming out in September:

https://www.spincds.com/ian-gillan-50132

"ATOMHENGE, the label home for the Hawkwind catalogue between 1975 – 1997 is pleased to announce the release of “The Charisma Years 1976 – 1979”; a 4 CD set comprising all four of Hawkwind’s albums originally released by the Charisma label between 1976 & 1979 –“Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music”, “Quark Strangeness & Charm”, “Hawklords: 25 Years On” and “PXR 5”.These recordings saw the influence of lyricist and front man Robert Calvert come to the fore in the band. The originally and breadth of Hawkwind’s music was expanded greatly during this period and the four albums released between 1976 and 1979 are now regarded as ground-breaking classics.This official 4CD clamshell boxed set features each album in a replica card sleeve wallet and includes an illustrated poster."

Looks like it's nothing to be overly excited over. None of the bonus tracks no extras other than a poster. Funny how times change eh? 12-15 years ago this would have been met with great excitement when the albums were very rare....

Post subject: Re: The Charisma Years 1976-1979 (4CD Box Set)
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:35 pm 

I LOVE what Atomhenge did with these releases, but I still wish there was a way to hear the demos, especially the Quark demos that are out there floating around in such poor hacked up quality. Even if they were "download only"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:41 pm 

Agreed!!!

Plus just for getting older I remember how fun it was to have the hawklord's on CD when that was about as rare as a "normal" Hawkwind release got.

I also remember when Lemmy turned 50 and now I'm 51 looking forward "terrified"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:42 pm 

Oops I guess it's obvious I still haven't hooked up the computer I bought last Tuesday previously I meant to say we're getting older it also didn't realize that Visionary had slipped in hello Visionary head

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:09 pm 

That's a good price considering what the individual cd's cost me
from Atomhenge.
I still have no complaints though since the sound clarity and
extra songs are superb.
I wouldn't change a thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:26 pm 

Twenty quid is a good price and I'll probably get this - I don't have any of these on CD and it's probably my favourite period of the band - Quark was the first Hawkwind I heard.

I'm hoping the CDs are as lightly 'remastered' as the 'Your captain is dead' boxed set (although that wasn't Atomhenge).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:40 am 

I'd get the individual CDs, I know it's more expensive but there's some fantastic bonus tracks, particularly on Quark.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:11 pm 

I do not want to come across as having a pop at Atomhenge as they did a cracking job on the back catalogue however this release is a bit "meh". Just a repackage of what has gone before. Not sure what the point is or who this is really aimed at? Most of us on here would have snapped up the re-issues as they came out.

Also whilst I'm here at the start of the reissue programme their was talk from Atomhenge of a 'career defining box set' as a final Hawkwind release. Guess that has fallen by the way side then?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:07 am 

To the likes of us who have the vast majority of Hawkwind releases already it does seem pointless, but it's good value to those who have only heard for example the UA years and fancies having a crack at the output immediately post Lemmy without having to pay a fortune.

I do wonder what else atomhenge have planned if anything. There's a few things still that they have which didn't get released. I'd like to see them at least do something with the video material that hasn't been reissued or cleaned up in decades. I don't even own Night of the Hawks, or the Love In Space video/DVD and don't especially want to sell of my children to an ebayer to get hold of them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:58 pm 

Off the topic a bit but can anyone confirm whether the Atomhenge reissues of the back catalogue are mastered loud? I read a review of one album (can't remember which) on Starfarer's site that indicated that the compression was a bit heavy handed. I like the idea of some of the re-issues for the content but not the idea of remastering, unless the original really needed a lift.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:40 am 

They were very definitely remastered. I liked the sound on headphones, but tastes vary.

The details of the game...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:16 pm 

Saw this a while ago, but I didn't get round to posting it. There's an equivalent 3 disc box covering the RCA Active Years, which is being released on October 26th. Again, just the three albums with no bonuses.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RCA-Active-Yea ... f+hawkwind

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:47 pm 

Thanks again Dell1972...
I wish we had somebody like Andy G used to be, to review EVERYTHING and state if there are any mastering tweaks.
I am SUPER fond of the RCA period and cannot seem to take the CYM LP down from display in here

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:49 pm 

Blimey Atomhenge are certainly trying to repackage the catalogue in numerous ways!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:03 pm 

It's a good thing that Atomhenge is doing!
We serious collector's paid extra money for the individual cd's with bonus tracks.
Now the entry level Hawkwind fans get a stab at the RCA discs at discount price.
Marketing genius in my eyes.

Board index » Test category 1 » Albums + DVD\'s Videos etc