Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post subject: The Black Sword, 30th Anniversary
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 5:43 pm 

Just that really, this November will mark the 30th anniversary of the Chronicle of the Black Sword, and its tour. It's my personal all time greatest live show of ANY band, Ever.

Any chance of the odd track creeping in to the set-list, or even giving the crew-members a chance to see the whole live event once again.

I know its a long shot, but if you don't ask you'll never get.

Post subject: Re: The Black Sword, 30th Anniversary
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:35 am 

Loved that tour too, saw them 3 times, Ipswich, Walthamstow and Hammersmith ....... not sure it can be reproduced without Huw's input in reality though, his incisive lead was key to the whole performance.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:12 pm 

i was a poor third year university student at the time so couldn't afford it unfortunately - the Capt's rhythm and MM's opening lyrics on 'Sleep of a thousand tears' must have been awesome live - i agree about Huw - miss him

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:57 am 

Chronicle of the Black Sword has special meaning to me too, as it's the first Hawkwind CD I ever bought and the first I heard from them (other than Kings of Speed which I had on an old cassette compilation).

The music and concept of the album were so strong to me that the songs conjured visual images (without drugs, mind) via the sound textures, effects, and stories told within the lyrics.

Very special time as it started my Hawkwind journey...

Also Congrats to Dave & Kris on their 8th anniversary as well :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:13 pm 

Also did both nights of Hammersmith, as well as Bristol, and Walthamstow, where Alan got me in for free, and regaled a handful of us pre-gig with some interesting HW stories....

I felt it was all a bit "Spinal Tap" and a bit cheap and cheery at the time, but looking back it was a good tour

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:19 pm 

Location: Kent, UK, in an unfashionable spiral arm of the galaxy
visionaryhead wrote:I felt it was all a bit "Spinal Tap" and a bit cheap and cheery at the time, but looking back it was a good tour

I was on FB the other day and said this and people where aghast. I found it too 'stagey', and some of the songs were just shoehorned in despite being a bit bland (the good ones are great), but the tour was a jolly jape (I also did both nights at Hammy, Tunbridge, Nottingham, maybe another, so I did enjoy it).

I must be normal........

I must be normal........

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:00 pm 

Location: Lost beyond the Black Hole's apparent horizon - Yorkshire
I now know it as the damn good album that it is, but never got on my radar at the time of issue. In mitigation, it was the heyday of the Thatchbag years and I'd stopped caring about most things than simply getting by.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:06 pm 

Twas the point in 1985 when I gave up following the band & jumped overboard selling all my HW vinyl. Went to Southampton Gaumont on that tour & found it all too horribly glitzy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:47 am 

the current lineup, given their individual and collective powers can well reimagine Black Sword ~ guest musicians invited to pay tribute , as it were. This Hawkwind can do right justice to any material they approach ~ three decades on ~ and all that's happened since.....
.....just think of it

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:39 pm 

I saw this gig at Newcastle City Hall, it was my first Hawkwind gig.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:32 pm 

What a dastardly, divine idea Dr Shostak.
A live re-enactment of the entire Chronicle of the Black Sword lp.
Now where'd I leave my druid cape???

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:46 am 

and I'd cross the Atlantic sea ....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:31 pm 

Someone played 'Needle Gun' at a party. We were all singing along with the chorus before the song ended and I went to Our Price (remember them?) the following day and ordered the CD. Always has a special place for me that album. Had the two bonus tracks one being 'Sleep Of A Thousand Tears - Live' one of my all time favourites. Huw's guitar is much higher in the mix than on the studio version.

Got the Live Album then the Griffing Import 2xCD version with the added Moorcock poems. Also had the VHS (Jettisound was it?) of the tour which unfortunately suffered from some very cheap n cheerful effects. Then again I think the budget for the stage production was about £3.50 for the whole tour.

Great albums (both the studio and the live one) probably my most played Hawkwind albums but best left in the past, Huw was such a HUGE part of that album to perform it without him, for me, just wouldn't be right.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:08 pm 

Pedal Bin wrote:Someone played 'Needle Gun' at a party. We were all singing along with the chorus before the song ended and I went to Our Price (remember them?) the following day and ordered the CD. Always has a special place for me that album. Had the two bonus tracks one being 'Sleep Of A Thousand Tears - Live' one of my all time favourites. Huw's guitar is much higher in the mix than on the studio version.

Got the Live Album then the Griffing Import 2xCD version with the added Moorcock poems. Also had the VHS (Jettisound was it?) of the tour which unfortunately suffered from some very cheap n cheerful effects. Then again I think the budget for the stage production was about £3.50 for the whole tour.

Great albums (both the studio and the live one) probably my most played Hawkwind albums but best left in the past, Huw was such a HUGE part of that album to perform it without him, for me, just wouldn't be right.

Tho being of the mind that revisiting past is a good thing where Hawkwind are in top form these days, I definitely understand your (and others here) sentiment regarding Huw, snd leaving the past in the past, Pedal Bin. I agree it would, could, never be the same without Huw and I am personally torn in my feelings about the so-called "model of respect" left by Led Zeppelin, for the most part, about not trying to continue doing something which can never again be, without all the artists contributing. There is a certain risk of being viewed as a tribute band to one's self, or worse~ has beens~ which is tacky, unless it were done in such a way as to honour Huw ~there again, often the best way to do that is simply to just have his contributions be the "last word" and move forward. Being on the wrong side of the Atlantic, I have only the DVDs to quench my thirst for live Hawkwind. ..alas. I never get enough!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:07 pm 

Definitely candidates for Hawkwind's worst moments. Only really saved by the last few tracks on the studio album and Moonglum and Dreaming City on the live version and you still have to get past the Moonglum chorus which is a bit tricky. I'd be quite happy for all this to be consigned to the past. and some of it consigned to the dustbin

Board index » Test category 1 » Tours Past & Present