Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post subject: Solitary Man single vinyl only?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:34 am 

i followed the link on the main page to the cherry red page and it appears that this single is vinyl only?
the single has a different version of solitary man than the upcoming album and also has an exclusive track called tunnels of darkness.
please tell me this release will be available on cd or digital download mp3 or something, the last time i was tortured with exclusive vinyl only material was when blood of the earth came out and tere has not been any of this nonsense from cherry red for a few albums now.
i just don't use vinyl anymore and it's a nightmare having to get a turnable and rip the exclusive vinyl tracks to digital format.
if any hawkwind members read this then please try and negotiate something with cherry red so we can purchase these 2 tracks on cd or digital download.
when it comes to hawkwind tracks i'm a completist and try to own every officially released song but vinyl only releases make this task a nightmware.
i used to be a eager vinyl enthusiast in my younger days but let's be honest the industry pretty forced us to move onto other formats by almost abandoning vinyl at some point in the nineties and years on when we are all comfortable with our cd's, mp3's, ipods etc we got record labels like cherry red pulling this exclusive vinyl tracks caper.
it's not on guys and it's happening with my favorite bands music :(

Post subject: Re: Solitary Man single vinyl only?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:16 pm 

Yeah, I noticed this and am a little frustrated about the situation. Hopefully it is just initially out on vinyl and then later at least digitally.

I understand the point of supporting the vinyl medium and the somewhat misguided attempts at supporting local record stores with the annual industry "flog it on ebay for extortionate prices" day.

The reality is that with young children I don't want to be risking trashing vinyl within seconds of getting it out of the packaging. Children are vinyl unfriendly. I know my parents had to put up with it but they had no other options.

In conclusion, I like the sentiment, and I like the idea of you putting out a single with exclusive content, but don't be elitist about it please.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:52 pm 

i'm expecting the worst tbh, the blood of the earth version of sunship is still only available on blood of the earth vinyl release. i purchased the vinyl of that record along with the limited cd so i could rip the sunship to mp3 format but it was a real pain in the backside.
i know sunship was released on a more recent album but it is a remix and has differences from the BOTE version. in fact i slightly prefer the BOTE version.
i will purchase a copy of the vinyl solitary man to support the band anyhow, i just hope we get digital or cd versions because the quality will be better than a vinyl rip done myself with limited equipment.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:24 pm 

It's on F***book as a promo vid, with psychedelic landscapes etc. So I don't know if that means it'll be on other formats as well. YouTube, maybe? MP3 download? No indications yet, so far as I've seen.

I wish Hawkwind wouldn't support F***book to the total exclusion of us lot over here on the Forum. It's not really decent, is it?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:39 pm 

i left facebook years ago, too much snooping going on besides other things, i firmly believe facebook is dodgy as hell.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:04 pm 

Yes I don't use facebook but I made an exception to log on with a fake account and grab the vid to pop on youtube;
https://youtu.be/81bXCn49oRc
Enjoy!

I hope no one from the band object to this - if so let me know and I'll remove it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:04 am 

thanks for the youtube link :)
i like this track on first listen, it has a damage of life kinda vibe. great stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:51 am 

I'm gonna have to buy the single 45 as I only have a turntable to listen to it on !

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:49 pm 

just noticed the mp3 dowload for solitary man is on amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... 1_1&sr=8-1 but it's not available yet which makes sense
no sign of the tunnels of darkness upcomming mp3 though.
also is the 7" solitary man vinyl only available from the cherry red website? i was about to purcahse it from there but there is no secure https showing on the enter card details page and that is very off putting indeed.
if all else fails i will have to get my brother to order it with his paypal to be safe.
what a pain in the backside :(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:56 pm 

darn, I dislike pre-orders & just fell for this latest one. Paid for x2 'Solitary man' singles & have to wait until May 27th at the earliest. Having said that the checkout was straitforward enough with PP.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:23 am 

Dell1972 wrote:

I understand the point of supporting the vinyl medium and the somewhat misguided attempts at supporting local record stores with the annual industry "flog it on ebay for extortionate prices" day.

Record Store Day has become a victim of its own success really hasn't it? What started off as an attempt to give independnat record stores a boost has now turned, as you say Dell, into "Flog-It-For- As-Much-As-I-Ccan-On-Ebay-The-Day-After-Day".

CD single of Solitary Man sold via a Pledge Campaign or similar (it the target is not reached the band do not produce it) to gauge interest would have been a better option for me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:57 pm 

Fractalien wrote:Yes I don't use facebook but I made an exception to log on with a fake account and grab the vid to pop on youtube;
https://youtu.be/81bXCn49oRc
Enjoy!

I hope no one from the band object to this - if so let me know and I'll remove it.

Excellent work, thanx.

I suppose it's folks like Frac who fill in the gaps for any dinosaur Forum users, the same as Jimski sometimes copies and pastes text over to here... so I hope Hawkwind won't object to that sort of process.

It keeps people who dislike F***book in the loop. for Heavens' sake.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:05 pm 

indeed - thank's fractalien - i just listened to it - bit's of the musical passages remind me of traditional irish music! - very enjoyable

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:16 pm 

just ordered the single thanks to my brothers paypal. when i get it i will set a turntable up and rip it to mp3.
just wish this vinyl only stunt was not so.
please hawkwind (if anyone from the band is reading this) if you have any control over how your music is distributed could you at least try and make sure vinyl only releases don't happen in the future. it's a nice idea in theory but for some of us it's not practical and an inconvenience.
i'm happy to pay for hawkwinds great music as always but we should have the choice of other formats for all releases.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:54 pm 

The mp3 of solitary man is free to download from http://www.the-machine-stops.com/

Board index » Test category 1 » Albums + DVD\'s Videos etc