Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post subject: Re: Into The Wood Tour....
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:55 am 

Brown Dawn wrote:hope to God i'm not on a potential dvd! - me dancing/air guitar skill's are pretty much in the jurassic period! - any word on the jersey gig?! - still knackered - me conert stub is now in with me collection - great gig!

...eQ...

Well then when I acquire my copy, if I spot a bloke doing the Saurischian two-step, I'll know you've been immortalised in Hawklore, Brown Dawn !
:-)

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:01 am 

Last edited by mike coleman on Wed May 31, 2017 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:24 pm 

hee-hee! - luckily i've made quite a show of meself over the year's so pride (one of the seven deadly's) isn't in me mind set - pretty well used to it! - i hope this get's released - it was a great gig! - still in recovery mode!

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:54 pm 

Fractalien wrote: Pedal Bin did you not enjoy the rest of the gig (and if not can you pinpoint why because I thought it was fantastic)?

Well as you asked...

Started off when I joined the queue and got stuck with the, ahem, "comedy" drunk. You know the ones that think they are hillariously funny and all they are are annoying. So that put me in a bad mood.

Got to my seat (back and knee injuries mean I prefer to sit now - damn those advancing years!) and had a lovely view of a pillar view slap bang in the middle of my field of vision. Ho-hum. Tried to convince myself that I wouldn't see would be Richard behind his kit.

So light go down and Phil and his sons come on. I had their EP but it didn't do much for me. I was hoping for it to be a be more Motorhead-ish but to my ears it is just standard pub rock. If it didn't have Phil on it I would not have bought it. It was good to hear the old Motorhead tunes again, particularly the less played ones however I thought they could drop 'Ace of Spades' as Phil didn't record it and he has probably played it more times than anyone else on the planet. Maybe something of their last album 'Bad Magic'?

Anyway whilst the band was one people start filing in and out and I was sat next to the main entrance. The "Roundhouse Volunteers" were only there on a few occasions so most people were wondering up and down with mobile phones out looking for their seats with was rather off putting.

Then on with Hawkwind, I enjoyed the unplugged numbers to start with and didn't have any great expecations for the show as I really do not like 'Into The Woods' I would rate it as their second worst album behind 'It Is The Business of The Future...'. That truly was an awful album after the amazing (as far as I was concerned) "Electric Teepee" still the 'Business Trip Tour' was a right cracker so all was not lost.

The postives: Good to see Dave just playing guitar and Haz has given him a massive boost. Haven't seen him that annimated in years! Dibs being far more lively too. Last year at Islington if he wasn't sing he looked for all purposes as if he was sat in front og his laptop checking his emails/Facebook (I'm sure he was doing something else though).

The negatives: What I didn't enjoy was that ever songs seem to be dragged out overly long with very lenght jams. I know its a Hawkwind thing but at The Roundhouse it just didn't do it for me.

Then of course just as I was getting a bit grumpy in and out go everybody. Up and down. Off to the bar, back from the bar. Six pints the bloke next to me had before the encore. He can't need a drink that badly surely. Add in people arrving late and just sitting whever there was an empty seat then the people who actually had that seat turn up even later and with no Steward around lots of standing up and moving.

Oh and then a quick pause for a few magic ticks. By this stage I was looking at my watch and thinking I might get the earlier fast train to save a 1am finish if I get the late stopping service. So when the bloke next to me went of his seventh and eighth pint (he got two every time) I followed him out and went off to Waterloo. Where my fast train was cancelled and my slow stopping train was delayed by 20 minutes!

Ho-hum. At least I have Iron Maiden to look forward on Sunday and KISS on Wednesday.

So there you go not the worst I have seen Hawkwind (that was Dec 89 at Hammersmith where they were just awful) or the second worst (Alien Tour mostly new music as the album came out after the tour!) so it's the 3rd worst. However everone else seems to have a really great time so I'm glad you did. The world is still spinning, the sun rose up as usual so the fact I didn't enjoy myself is of no real concern.

I'll still get a ticket for their next tour so there is always next time. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:56 pm 

You Better Believe It, Have You Seen Them?, Vegan Lunch, Steppenwolf from the Roundhouse gig...

"Hawkwind Live @ The Roundhouse 26.5.17"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYZqiAM31Tg

The encore, Brainbox Pollution, Silver Machine with Phil Campbell ("Flash bastard's got a jacket on")...

"Hawkwind Roundhouse Encore 26 May 2017"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTvxAb91ZCc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:16 pm 

Saw the band at Bluedot on Sunday (it's held at Jodrell Bank) where they played for an hour, headlining the second stage.
Great performance but could have done with longer of course. Haz was on top form again, and Dave was quite animated and looked happy. He wanted to do one more song but the curse of the curfew struck.
Songs played as well as I can remember - Born To Go, Vegan Lunch, You'd Better Believe It, Steppenwolf, Into The Woods and something from The Machine Stops to close the set but I can't think of the title, and maybe a couple of others, my memory ain't what it was.

It was a good festival, plenty of science stuff too if that is your bag. I only went for the Sunday because of work, but plenty of other music that might have pleased a Hawkwind fan - Josefin Ohrn and the Liberation, Warpaint, Flamingods to name a few.

There were a lot of Hawkwind t-shirts knocking around, I was surprised the band didn't play the main stage.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:44 pm 

Re Bluedot - thanks for review, looked a good festival at great venue with The Pixies, Orbital and Jane Weaver playing too. Andy Votel, Jane Weaver's other half, actually DJ'd and put together this French space rock mix beforehand - nice to hear some very old Gong mixed in! http://thequietus.com/articles/22777-an ... ck-mixtape

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:45 pm 

Bran wrote:Re Bluedot - thanks for review, looked a good festival at great venue with The Pixies, Orbital and Jane Weaver playing too. Andy Votel, Jane Weaver's other half, actually DJ'd and put together this French space rock mix beforehand - nice to hear some very old Gong mixed in! http://thequietus.com/articles/22777-an ... ck-mixtape

Friends who were there for the weekend said the Andy Votel "History Of Spacerock" thing on the friday night was very good. Jane Weaver was good too.

The venue itself was stunning, with that massive telescope looming over everything, and the organisers put in a lot of thought on how to decorate the site and pretty it up.

I think if it is a similar line-up next year, lots of psychedelia type stuff, I shall try and go for the weekend, but it depends how work falls.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:14 pm 

I was at BlueDot, They played the Orbit stage starting a bit after 9.30pm they did Born To Go, Into The Woods, Steppenwolf, Magnu/Golden Void, The Machine, Vegan Lunch, You'd Better Believe it (not neccesarily quite in that order) and yes you'd better believe it all that in just one hour.. Dave's guitar playing for me was spot on he was so on form and Haz as well, I was transorted back through time to the 1970's for Magnu and Golden Void. I wasn't very happy with the light show, the stage spots and the smoke created a haze and some what washed out the projections toning them down quite a bit in clarity and colour. Having said that Hawkwind should have been Headlining on the Lovell stage but I don't think that would have done much for the light show either. During the weekend I talked to a serious amount of people who had never seen Hawkwind before, some had never heard of Hawkwind and I hope I managed to persuade a few of them to go and watch and join the family. It was one of most friendly Festivals I have ever been to (Hawkfest/Hawkeaster also being a friendly festival).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:18 pm 

I have to agree with Pedal Bin; with the exception of Haz's bass playing, this was a very poor gig and was the first time that I have actually been bored by Hawkwind.

However, I am sure that most hardcore fans enjoyed it, although many people around me seemed to share my disappointment.

I saw Sleep at the same venue before seeing Hawkwind and the Levellers in Tunbridge Wells a few weeks later; both were far better gigs.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:19 pm 

I think part of the problem is they have played more or less the same set all the way through the tour and it is a bit disappointing when that happens especially if you see it more than once. Personally I would have liked a couple of songs to really sing along to Spirit, PSI (electric set).Into the Woods has really grown on me, and I get the green thing, greens my favourite colour!

One from Bluedot 2017
[https://youtu.be/9ZPC3wJ8ftw]

Attachments:
Jodrell Bank Radio Telescope 1.png
Jodrell Bank Radio Telescope 1.png [ 193.19 KiB | Viewed 183 times ]

Board index » Test category 1 » Tours Past & Present