Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post subject: Jodie Whittaker to play 13th Doctor on 'Doctor Who'
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:49 pm 

From UPI:

https://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/ ... m_medium=7

The possibilities seem endless

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iRecnqwt9tU

Post subject: Re: Jodie Whittaker to play 13th Doctor on 'Doctor Who'
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:35 pm 

Location: Lost beyond the Black Hole's apparent horizon - Yorkshire
Utter madness.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:01 am 

Utter Utter Garbage.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:01 pm 

Look out for the new Harriet Potter film...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:19 pm 

"...the name's Bond, Jaymie Bond. "

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:07 pm 

Ladies, please don't get me wrong ~ I am all for gender-equality when it comes to rights, salary, station, and everything else that is self-evident and inalienable; I am even in favour of laws and attitudes which protect LGBTQ individuals from harm or discrimination, and will personally go as far as to call a trans person by their newly adopted gender-selective name ~ stopping short of recognising that person's identifying "gender" as biologically authentic, since an individual is, after all, limited to the gender of which they are born in a reproductive capacity. again ~ to be clear ~ reproductive capability is not what makes a person the sex they are, since some individuals are infertile and that fact would make them no less of a man or woman... still, biology is what it is ~ as our birth determines. I understand what gender identity means and I respect it ~ however, if a person has changed their gender they will still always be trans and not the opposite sex of which they were born . This fact in of itself makes no difference to me in any way with respect to acceptance (other than marriage)

but this Doctor Who thing is just taking the whole business too ridiculously far!

By all means, launch a new character ~ a Time Lord who happens to be female... just leave the poor Doctor alone.
my god.

nevermind the sociological implications of what the producers are attempting to do.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:28 pm 

Don't have a problem. Could be fantastic I will just have to wait and see. Suspicious of the reason why it was done. Feel we need good middle aged male role models for the yunguns and don't buy the 'we made gender transfer in timelords a possibility ages ago [but still after the reboot?] excuse. That being said, I love cantankerous old men but didn't like Capaldi for some reason. Not enough guitar?!

Change can be good though. Shame they didn't think about that when they decided on 12 years of young female assistants. And always BBC posh except the inner London thing in just about every actor in every episode. Too many humanoid aliens, too much Earth and always so now. Diversity and progress my arse! Having lost some credible sci-fi pre-reboot demographic they might lose the 'fancy the lead man' crowd now. Get off of my cloud.

But I feel if they think they're doing the right thing and lose most of their viewers because the stories are corny, plots non-existent, emotions too immature and the cat is all female and under 35 they'll only have themselves to blame.

She seemed very vulnerable and confused in Broadchurch but then again that's been a reboot DW problem and it's been getting worse. This is the age of the microman.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:52 pm 

very interesting comment, Barnetquark. The reboot started off okay, at least in one of the Canadian episodes that featured a Dalek showing those arrogant, unconvinced humans what cold-cuts really are ! The series lost me as a viewer a while back, and I've been sort of waiting\hoping for a return to form
(I was weaned on Pertwee, Baker and their two predecessors)
but alas, people have changed with society and much intrigue, aesthetic, and imagination has long since vanished.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:45 pm 

I was a massive DW fan. A mahoosive DW fan. A Ma-who-sive DW fan!

Colin Baker onwards and the stan ran cold but i liked Ace.

I liked the reboot. A bit corny, not enough sci-fi, some terrible episodes that peeled the paint but I felt it got better under Matt Smith - personal preference maybe. But the confused state of Capaldi, falling in love, assistant-worshiping, the apparent need to refer to gender and sexuality as if it were a political statement instead of just normal. This series has been OK I guess.

But it's not the old DW...

My earliest memories were of the Jon Pertwee giant spider story. VERY scary (like angels in the reboot I guess). Had my first crush on Joe - looking back at the old clips, I had good taste at 3 or 4 years old! I think i was lucky as i came in when DW was setting the sci fi trend Star wars style. Forget the flimsy sets, this was Stargate and Next gen 10 years earlier - while America was making Buck Rogers. This was the stuff that would get namechecked in later US sci fi. Genius stuff that Calvert would love right up to Logopolis. Really scary Cybermen, not cartoon versions. At least the 60's DW was of its time. We're talking Zygons that aren't even humanoid. 15 years later and Star trek is still adding makeup to an actor's face like it's 1966 and calling it the Ferengi or whatever! I thought the reboot went backwards stylewise and parochial in its setting. Like the music. It used to b Radiophonic. Now it's Orchestral, and that annoying riff when there's anticipation goes on and on.

Lets face it though, it's difficult to reach the standards of Genesis of the Daleks or the Pyramids of Mars. I was lucky enough to get Tom Baker's autograph at as book signing at the height of his tenure. my favourite Doctor.

I mean they couldn't even call the Master 'Mistress' after the 'gender reassignment regeneration'. It had to be Missy. It had to be over-emotional. Hardly doing women any favours...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:35 am 

barnetquark wrote:
.... Had my first crush on Joe

...eQ...

Katy Manning is a lovely woman!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:16 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:35 am 

I don't know what all the fuss is about. It could hardly make the show any worse than it is, and might just make it more interesting - I think it's largely the writing that's at fault in the reboot. Maybe that'll change now the writer is going but I doubt it.

Of course I grew up watching re-runs of Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker. Those shows could sometimes be terribly cheesy but at least they had an atmosphere, good music and stories.

I didn't mind David Tennant or Peter Capaldi as characters but I found it on the whole weak. At worst, syrupy mush. 'Primeval' was better.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:10 pm 

Why does a transgender person bother to change their appearance and/or anatomy ?

(a rhetorical question, the obvious answer to which makes a point)

Why do some self-defined genderless individuals seek recognition as being free of gender identity ?

( again, rhetorical; intended to provoke socio-psychological and philosophical contemplation. the question occurred to me purely as a basis of conjecture. )

Last edited by vikmarlo on Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:18 pm 

I will confess to inappropriate thoughts about Rose...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:52 am 

Jaikie of Haddows wrote:Image

Thank you for the picture Jaikie, Thank you!

Board index » Test category 1 » Any Other Business