Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post subject: Tim Blake releases
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:10 pm 

Location: Kent, UK, in an unfashionable spiral arm of the galaxy
Posted by TB....

This year, we are celebrating , both 45 years of Tim Blake- Crystal Machine Music, and the 40th anniversary of the release of :

" CRYSTAL MACHINE" as an Album.

As a result, we are happy to announce that all the

Tim Blake solo catalogue, 1972 - 2017

is to be re-released by Cherry Red Records, in most formats ......

More details will be released soon, as they become available !

I must be normal........

I must be normal........

Post subject: Re: Tim Blake releases
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:55 pm 

Thanks Jimski
This is excellent news. Used to have copies of New Jerusalem and Crystal Machine which were sold during hard times, it'll be great to get new copies of these.
Hope they have some extra tracks too.
Wonder if 'Waterfalls in Space' will get a release on CD?
Quarky

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:38 pm 

Location: Kent, UK, in an unfashionable spiral arm of the galaxy
A little more info via Brian Tawn.....

TIM BLAKE

Cherry Red Records and their label Esoteric Recordings are delighted to announce that they have acquired the solo catalogue by synthesizer pioneer Tim Blake. Tim is of course known for his work with Gong on the classic albums Flying Teapot, Angel’s Egg and You and for his collaborations with Hawkwind on the albums Live Seventy Nine and Levitation and his work with the band in the new millennium.

His solo albums are now regarded as truly groundbreaking for their use of synthesisers, paving the way for electronic music of the 1980s and beyond with albums such as Crystal Machine (1977) and Blake’s New Jerusalem (1978). However, Tim also recorded further solo albums such as Magick and Tide of the Century, both of which will also be reissued this year by Esoteric, along with previously unreleased material.

As Tim himself declares; “It's interesting to note that we are now 40 years on from Crystal Machine's release, and 45 Years of me working on electronique creations outside of Gong and Hawkwind”.

Esoteric Recordings begin the reissues of Tim’s solo works with expanded, re-mastered editions of Crystal Machine and Blake’s New Jerusalem on 31st March 2017.

I must be normal........

I must be normal........

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:43 pm 

Great news Jimski and thanks for the heads up!

Count me in!

Quarky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:55 pm 

Quarkman wrote:Hope they have some extra tracks too.
Wonder if 'Waterfalls in Space' will get a release on CD?

According to the Cherry Red web site -

Blake’s New Jerusalem: Remastered & Expanded Edition

BONUS TRACKS
6. THE WOODLAND VOICE (B-SIDE OF SINGLE PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED ON CD)
7. FROM OUTTA SPACE
8. JUPITER TO JERUSALEM (TAKEN FROM “WATERFALLS FROM SPACE”)

Crystal Machine: Remastered & Expanded Edition

BONUS TRACKS
6. SURF (A-SIDE OF SINGLE CREDITED TO SARATOGA SPACE MESSENGERS)
7. SYNTHESE INTEMPOREL I
8. SYNTHESE INTEMPOREL II (A & B SIDES OF SINGLE – RELEASED IN SPAIN PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED ON CD)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:53 pm 

Cherry Red, as luck would have it !!!
:-D

essential document, these !

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:49 am 

Ordered up...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:19 am 

Thanks for this info and shite....
I failed to notice the Spanish synthesis single had unreleased material back when I had it 15 years ago...

HMMM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:26 am 

Crystal Machine remastered on Cherry Red hits the market tomorrow !

stoked !
:-D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:36 pm 

We now have:
- Magick
- Tide Of The Century
- Caldea Music II

Any comments on these? I'm unfamiliar...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:28 am 

Jaikie of Haddows wrote:We now have:
- Magick
- Tide Of The Century
- Caldea Music II

Any comments on these? I'm unfamiliar...

Not familiar with Caldea myself, be interested to see what said about it.

My own opinion is these recordings are a more "subtle" "mature" Tim, and not as immediately warped as the original "Crystal Machine" or "New Jerusalem"

an acquired taste maybe?
I may have a spare original Magick lying around BTW

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:08 pm 

I'd advise - as always - checking YouTube to get an idea of tracks from these albums. I know some or all of Crystal Machine is on there.

Here are some comments on the albums, though I can't comment on how the remasters sound as I haven't bought any of them, so I can't compare them with the original CDs.

There's quite a bit of variation in style between Tim's albums. He never makes the same album twice, which is generally a virtue, though sometimes I wish he'd be a bit less virtuous and more prolific.

My own personal preference is Crystal Machine. For skillful, fluid analogue modulated stuff it can't be beaten. It's entirely instrumental apart from Last Ride of the Boogie Child. On the original vinyl the last track had a locking groove which repeated it infinitely. That couldn't be replicated on the CD, but I think it's worth knowing what Tim's original intention was.

New Jerusalem is more of a songs album, but still with plenty of analogue synth - including a fine MiniMoog solo by Jean-Philippe Rykiel on one track.

Magick is a mix of instrumental and songs, with the songs being of quite a personal nature. There's much use of the digital Roland D10 - I was convinced it was a Casio CZ101/1000 until Tim told me I was wrong. It's very well used, so don't be put off by that if you prefer analogue synths.

I suspect Tide of the Century might be the album Tim would suggest as most representative of his more recent work. There's a lot of vocal stuff, interspersed with fluid instrumental parts.

Caldea Music II is instrumental, varying from chilled to quite rocky. There was already a Caldea Music I by another artist, hence the II in the title. If you can't find any tracks from Caldea on YouTube, there's one in the music player on my website (number 53, Floating). The first couple of minutes differ from Tim's track, but once the rhythm comes in it's Tim with some extra phasing, plus a lot of modulated Moog from me - so wait for the rhythm and ignore the Moog and you get an idea of what Tim originally played.

Owen Paterson: "I didn't move the goalposts. The badgers moved the goalposts." But the badgers never thought it was a fair game in the first place.

Last edited by Sweep on Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:11 pm 

SWEEP

you'd have had a PM from me within a week checking to see.

That just leaves Graham, who I kinda know is okay but will PM him anyway.

gotta go, pray for me please :)

http://www.wfaa.com/weather/

(the humidity^) :lol:

Last edited by mike coleman on Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:14 pm 

I've got Caldea Musuc 2 on MP3 somewhere. It's very much more like his first two albums in style. To me his best are the first two followed by this and Noggi Tar.

Still yet to get any of Tim's cherry red reissues, but planning to get these four at least at some point.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:16 am 

WIN_20170605_20_11_38_Pro.jpg
WIN_20170605_20_11_38_Pro.jpg [ 88.45 KiB | Viewed 342 times ]

Board index » Test category 1 » Albums + DVD\'s Videos etc