Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post subject: ROBERT CALVERT ANTHLOGY
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:14 am 

ROBERT CALVERT BOOK

Some people have discussed a collection of Robert Calvert's writing. (Apart from HYPE and CENTIGRADE 232 not much is available except on 'The Spirit of the Page' web site.
The book is still in preparation. Nick Calvert and Chris Purdon of the Clyvedon press are editing the book.)

There is a lot of new material, some of which is incomplete. Chris Nick are collating, digitising and editing it.

Publication will hopefully be within the next 18 months to 2 years. The format has not been decided yet. There could be as many as three volumes.

Chris has some questions which you may be able to answer.

Please do comment or ask questions!

• ‘What format(s) would people prefer: casebound, number of volumes, electronic, etc.?
• What about price: three volumes in a slipcase totaling maybe 1000 pages might be £60 or more?
• Would people want to see the unfinished work included in the anthology?
• Should I include the material written for Hawkwind (e.g. the Log Book from In Search of Space; the booklet in the Hawklords 25 Years On)?
• Why did more people not go to the plays at Pentameters Theatre?’

The details of the game...

Post subject: Re: ROBERT CALVERT ANTHLOGY
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:54 pm 

What format(s) would people prefer: casebound, number of volumes, electronic, etc.?

I prefer book format to electronic in general but see below!

• What about price: three volumes in a slipcase totaling maybe 1000 pages might be £60 or more?

£60 is a big ask for most people for a book. I would pay it but suspect it would be too much for many. If the object is to bring the work to a wider audience electronic would provide less of a barrier than the this sort of price point.

• Would people want to see the unfinished work included in the anthology?

I think some judgement is needed on publication of unfinished work in general. A quality or significance test is required.

• Should I include the material written for Hawkwind (e.g. the Log Book from In Search of Space; the booklet in the Hawklords 25 Years On)?

Why not?

• Why did more people not go to the plays at Pentameters Theatre?’

Not aware of events in enough time to organise trip to London which for me would include overnight stay for an evening show. I suggested in another thread that maybe a performance in Seaton in conjunction with hawkester could be organised.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:55 am 

Thanks, G4Germany! Anybody else have comments?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:45 am 

I think three volumes in a case, totalling around 1000 pages is a great bang for the quid at 60 ~ that is to say a fair price in my view, even if it were a bit more.

I would prefer a physically printed book, as opposed to digital download.

I think to include all works, even those unfinished, would be wise ~ taking into consideration the sort of quality test G4Germany mentioned.
This should be a benchmark test.

I for one am happy this project is in the works ! Looking forward

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:08 pm 

I would agree about complete being better. I am only the messenger though! I will pass on everybody's ideas.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:24 pm 

My opinion is that electronic is that while a case of all volumes would be nice, individually sold volumes would make it more easily affordable over time, and a digital version would surely make it even more accessible, though ultimately I'd prefer the physical copy.

Unfinished works would make it very interesting in my opinion.
Including material done for Hawkwind I would recommend - it would increase the appeal, as surely Hawkwind is inevitably what he is primarily associated with for many.

The Pentameters theatre plays I was vaguely aware of, but ultimately it would be difficult for me to get to - with young kids, it takes a reasonable degree of forethought and logistical planning getting out at all, let alone a trip to Londinium.

Board index » Test category 1 » Hawkwind Chat