Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Astronomy software - my first go
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:25 pm 

And now it's Jupiter's turn.

Pics from the Juno probe ...

North pole

South pole

Infra red image of aurora at south pole

"Juno probe returns close-up Jupiter pictures"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-37259937

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:17 pm 

my god !!!

...the sheer scale of that southern aurora is massive !

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:50 pm 

The Philae lander has finally been spotted by the Rosetta comet probe!

Hello little fella ...

"Philae: Lost comet lander is found"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-37276221

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:45 am 

2017 also the year to watch Cassini probe (Saturn) ~ it's been operational out there for like, what ? 20 years or something? Well, now it's running low on fuel, and so it is supposed to go into polar orbit, diving repeatedly through the rings, before it finally skims just over 1,000 km above the planet's cloud tops (that's close!) and then, in September of next year takes its death-plunge into Saturn.
should be some spectacular never-before-seen pics, hopefully ~ and a compositional analysis of the rings...still, even with the Titan surface lander, no discovery of life. but it did discover, lakes, rivers, and rain ! (albeit liquid methane at temps averaging minus -290F (-179 centigrade)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:26 am 

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/technology/ ... -1.3885104

First ever close up of Saturn's North Pole,
and the beginning of Cassini's grande finale !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:06 pm 

Hubble telescope discovers planet orbiting 2 stars
Gas exoplanet and twin red dwarf stars found using light-bending microlensing technique

CBC News
September 22, 2016

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/technology/ ... -1.3774065

(In case anyone missed this previously, as I had !)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:24 am 

saturn-clouds-cassini-huygens-mission.jpg
saturn-clouds-cassini-huygens-mission.jpg [ 19.48 KiB | Viewed 463 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:54 pm 

from NASA.gov
New Horizons update

Excerpt :

Exactly two years ago we had just taken New Horizons out of cruise hibernation to begin preparations for the Pluto flyby. And exactly two years from now we will be on final approach to our next flyby, which will culminate with a very close approach to a small Kuiper Belt object called 2014MU69 – a billion miles farther out than Pluto – on Jan. 1, 2019. Just now, as 2016 ends, we are at the halfway point between those two milestones.

During this phase between flyby operations, all of the systems and scientific instruments aboard New Horizons are healthy. In October, we completed the 16-month-long transmission of all Pluto flyby data to Earth. Our science team is now steadily analyzing those data, making new discoveries and writing reports to research journals like Science, Nature, Icarus, the Journal of Geophysical Research and the Astronomical Journal. Almost 50 scientific papers reporting new results about Pluto and its system of moons were submitted this year!

Additionally, our science operations teams have made two major Pluto submissions to NASA’s archive of all planetary mission data, the Planetary Data System (PDS). Two final submissions to the PDS will be made in 2017, wrapping up the archiving of Pluto data for others in the scientific community. Those upcoming submissions will include better-calibrated datasets resulting from the intensive, post-Pluto flyby calibration campaign we conducted this summer using all seven payload instruments aboard New Horizons and a series of meta-products like maps and atmospheric profiles created from New Horizons data.

The year ahead will begin with observations of a half-dozen Kuiper Belt objects by our LORRI telescope/imager in January. Those observations, like the ones we made in 2016 of another half-dozen Kuiper Belt objects are designed to better understand the orbits, surface properties, shapes, satellite systems and frequency of rings around these objects. These observations can’t be done from any groundbased telescope, nor the Hubble Space Telescope, nor any other spacecraft – because all of those other resources are either too far away or only permit viewing from angles that are non-conducive to accomplish this science. So this work is something that only New Horizons can perform.

When New Horizons reaches planet 2014MU69 just under two years and two weeks from now, we’ll be setting another record for exploring the farthest world ever visited ~ over four-billion miles from Earth .....
....far out !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:37 pm 

Screenshot_2016-12-24-16-30-55-1.png
Screenshot_2016-12-24-16-30-55-1.png [ 129.37 KiB | Viewed 400 times ]

to me, this is a mindblowing image of Pluto. unfortunately not hi-def, since the only way I could grab it for keeps was with a screenshot, but it is still an eerie, chilling glimpse of a forsaken world.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:14 pm 

PIA21429_-_Transit_Illustration_of_TRAPPIST-1_opt.jpg
PIA21429_-_Transit_Illustration_of_TRAPPIST-1_opt.jpg [ 68.6 KiB | Viewed 213 times ]

.....artist conception.....

Dawning of the age of Aquarius

TRAPPIST-1, an 'ultra-cool dwarf star'
(referring to thermal designation) in the constellation Aquarius, which is only slightly larger than the planet Jupiter, has been found by astronomers to host seven planets, some of which lie in its star's habitable zone.  The system is situated a mere 39 light-years away,
close enough so that travel via diamagnetic-oscillation parapolar impulse (DOPI) hypervelocity could be undertaken by the next generation of NASA space craft,  and launched by 2040 ~  provided they defund the Mars mission and war-machine !

zee news excerpt;
Researchers are currently testing the James Webb Space Telescope which will be able to view these planets in the infrared, beyond the capabilities we currently have.

zee news india

Last edited by vikmarlo on Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:50 pm 

"There may be life out there ...."

"Europa: Our best shot at finding alien life?"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-38925601

Far more exciting than any mission to Mars, I think, and potentially of deep symbolic/spiritual significance to this troubled, divided human race.

Just so long as no large black obelisks warn us off. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:41 pm 

is that a photo of me or smeagle from behind?!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Board index » Test category 1 » Any Other Business