Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post subject: Re: Into the Woods
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:00 pm 

smugdruggler wrote:Why would you pre-order it ? Unless of course you've already heard it.

It's a new Hawkwind album so why wouldn't you? :shock:

Should be a lawful requirement to do so. :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:54 pm 

The double LP can be ordered here:

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/int ... p-edition/

And the 'deluxe CD' (whatever that is) can be ordered here:

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/int ... d-edition/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:25 pm 

smugdruggler wrote:Why would you pre-order it ? Unless of course you've already heard it.

Because I support Hawkwind. The REAL Hawkwind that is :)
OK?
You might as well ask people why they buy concert tickets as soon as Hawkeaster is announced. Same thing.
It's because when Hawkwind do something we want to be a part of it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:50 pm 

I pre-ordered the vinyl today. It was a very pleasant surprise to see a new studio album coming out. It's getting quite rare for bands to release a new album per year, especially in case on old bands. Also, I enjoyed The Machine Stops a lot, so pre-ordering this was a no-brainer for me.
And at least here in Finland I haven't seen copies of The Machine Stops in record stores, at least on vinyl, so I would have had to order this from internet anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:38 pm 

Judged by those SoundCloud samples Ady posted on the previous page I am anticipating 'Woods' a classic album of great inspiration!
:-)
some really superb bass runs in there

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:30 pm 

I see that amazon have put up a clip of Have You Seen Them, indeed it's available to buy individually:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Into-Woods-Haw ... +the+woods

I must admit I'm quite impressed with it. That sounds distinctly like they've let Richard near the microphone again. Pretty heavy sounding all in all.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:37 am 

Dell1972 wrote:I see that amazon have put up a clip of Have You Seen Them, indeed it's available to buy individually:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Into-Woods-Haw ... +the+woods

I must admit I'm quite impressed with it. That sounds distinctly like they've let Richard near the microphone again. Pretty heavy sounding all in all.

itunes has "Into the woods" available seperately as a d/load now...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:23 am 

Interesting. I really liked "Have You Seen Them". Crucially iTunes has the times of all the tracks too, there's some pretty lenthy numbers:

1 Into the Woods 6:16
2 Cottage in the Woods 3:51
3 The Woodpecker 0:51
4 Have You Seen Them 6:58
5 Ascent 3:41
6 Space Ship Blues 6:35
7 The Wind 4:09
8 Vegan Lunch 5:18
9 Magic Scenes 6:11
10 Darkland 2:13
11 Wood Nymph 5:57
12 Deep Cavern 2:26
13 Magic Mushroom 9:27

I'm starting to feel very positive about this release from what I've heard.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:02 pm 

So, now I've heard the opening track Into the woods in its entirety. I'm pretty impressed, though Dave's treated vocals which are more spoken than sung take a bit of getting used to, I'm guessing that will be sung if and when they play it live. I quite like the juxtaposition of heavy chugging guitars with the hooting of owls!

Overall, it's coming across as a pretty heavy album, guitars and bass are very much to the forefront. It's got an almost Masters of Reality/Stoner Rock type feel to it based upon the two tracks I've heard. The fact they're now playing Northampton as well raises the increased possiblity of me seeing them more than once on their current tour.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:17 pm 

I'm noticing a shift toward bass-driven
melodic heaviness, which sounds 'king
great
to me ears !

"may day ! may day ! "

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:19 pm 

Here's a review of the new album.

http://teamrock.com/review/2017-04-13/h ... bum-review

They are generally completentary, but suggest an external producer might have made a great album a brilliant one.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:46 pm 

Cheers for posting, Dell.

Great news the positive comentary, tho I am starting to become wary of prog reviews of Hawkwind. I realise their writers are paid to be professionally objective, of course it is entirely possible Ian is doing what many rock writers tend to do; talking out of his åss.

"... today’s Hawkwind have so much to say that knockout riffs are occasionally allowed to negate hooks and concurrent flashes of brilliance simply cancel each other out... "

Sounds like silly hogwash to me

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:17 am 

To some extent it is hogwash, but I kind of agree with it sometimes. My gripe with the last album was that the vocals were too low. I recall putting the album on in the car on the way to see them in Stamford and took the CD out after a couple of songs as I couldn't hear the vocals properly when driving at motorway speed. That's more a mixing issue, but in terms of composition, the Stellar Variations album could have benefitted from an outside producer - each song seemed to switch from idea to idea every 30 seconds - you get used to it after multiple listens but certainly at first in particular there seemed to be a little to much going on.

I notice that there's an interview with Dave in the Prog Magazine that had that interview, by Joe Banks, the guy who's posted on here elsewhere about writing a book about Hawkwind in the 70's. It's an interesting read, seems as though the majority of the album was done by Dave, Haz and Richard, as Dibs was ill at the time. In that respect I guess it is more of a follow up to the HLO Stellar Variations album.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:05 pm 

For the record, the interview I was talking about is here online:

http://teamrock.com/feature/2017-04-24/ ... se-of-life

And Classic Rock have added some platitudes about the new album here:

http://teamrock.com/review/2017-04-25/h ... m-review-1

Goa Johnny Goa? Oh please, step away from the keyboard...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:09 am 

Dell1972 wrote:To some extent it is hogwash, but I kind of agree with it sometimes. My gripe with the last album was that the vocals were too low. I recall putting the album on in the car on the way to see them in Stamford and took the CD out after a couple of songs as I couldn't hear the vocals properly when driving at motorway speed. That's more a mixing issue, but in terms of composition, the Stellar Variations album could have benefitted from an outside producer - each song seemed to switch from idea to idea every 30 seconds - you get used to it after multiple listens but certainly at first in particular there seemed to be a little to much going on.

...end quote...

actually I can relate to that.
I admit in some way I get slightly miffed whenever select individuals receive an advance copy of an eagerly-awaited Hawkwind album and then commence to lobbing stale biscuits at the parade horse, whilst us mere mortals stand at the kerb.

Even if Ian is spot-on and his commentary makes sense once we hear the record, I'd rather Prog withhold any negative critique until after release, when we're at least free to disagree.

Board index » Test category 1 » Albums + DVD\'s Videos etc