Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post subject: Presentation...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:56 pm 

Location: Kent, UK, in an unfashionable spiral arm of the galaxy
Posted by pal Chris Bristol on Facebook. It explains itself....

"A long time ago ... nearly 41 years in fact ... I was a lad that taped shows off the radio ("on the medium wave"band), my family had just managed to buy a radio cassette recorder and I had my own C90 tape. This was seven years before we got a fourth TV channel in the UK and we like most families had a black and white TV with a screen smaller than the average modern laptop computer.
-
Recording off the air, a request program aimed primarily at the Armed Forces Personnel serving off-shore, I was exposed to great songs that meant stuff to the folk that wanted to hear them. An unusual format these days - but once very popular. Family and friends would write in with memories of their loved ones and the DJ would read out their dedication and then play the song, in full, without talking across it. Sometimes the loved one would write from abroad in a similar fashion indicating how they felt and requesting another track in turn - the BBC radio show Family Favourites on a Sunday Morning was the equivalent of the social media we have today.
-
Now I was only just 10 years old when I recorded a Christmas Request Show, it had a song that quite literally grabbed me - growing up on a diet of chart hits, Space Oddity had just topped the charts again and Bohemian Rhapsody was on it's initial run of success, but this was like nothing I'd heard before.
-
A weird electronic whoosh noise that eased in and became insistent, throbbing faster and faster all consuming yet overcome by a brilliant rock and roll guitar riff and an incredible vocal performance - four and half minutes of bliss.
-
Taking the tape to a friends house we played it over and over, only to be 'interviewed' by an angry elder brother - well quite rightly scared I was blamed for the playing of his record collection without permission. Explaining that I'd arrived with the tape I was told 'not to move'. He then returned with an armful of UA label Hawkwind and Robert Calvert releases with instructions to listen to them all and report back; the records were duly recorded onto tape as I marvelled at the inticate unworldly sleeves and various inserts and posters.
-
I was smitten / hooked / indoctrinated / saved. ...and as soon as I could afford it owned real copies that I stil treasure today.
-
Spin forward to this year and a great friend I have made through our mutual passion for this music and it's ilk ... Wolfie Smith ... came across an EBay listing for a pair of Silver Discs originally presented to a member of the band, Dik Mik, the originator of that life changimg noise all those years before. A few of us dedicated Hawknerds and hardcore fans were invited to contribute to a fund to repatriate said discs. Wolfie had actually befriended Mik through a coincidental meeting and the man had no idea all this was going on in the background.
-
Last night me and Lucie and a few other friends (just some of those involved) partied together with Wolfie and Hayley at their home. Mik was delighted to recieve the gift of his missing Silver Discs, lost in 1983 during a break up. These were presented to him in recognition of 250,000 sales of the single Silver Machine in the UK and Germany and now they are back with their rightful owner.
-
Once again the Hawkfamily came together to set things right. I am proud to have played some small part in this chapter and honoured to count so many wonderful people as my friends and yes, family.
-
Here's a couple of shots kindly posted by Dibs & Claire"

IMG_0906.JPG
IMG_0906.JPG [ 83.06 KiB | Viewed 528 times ]

IMG_0907.JPG
IMG_0907.JPG [ 321.77 KiB | Viewed 528 times ]

I must be normal........

I must be normal........

Post subject: Re: Presentation...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:41 am 

great anecdote !
Cheers for posting, Jimski !
:-)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:06 am 

Location: Kent, UK, in an unfashionable spiral arm of the galaxy
He looks very well and is, according to various people who have seen him recently, in good spirits.

I must be normal........

I must be normal........

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:43 pm 

Accolade:
Arise Sir Swooooosh!
Congratulations Mr. Davies.

Board index » Test category 1 » Hawkwind Chat