Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post subject: Stamford Corn Exchange
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:07 pm 

Just got back from seeing the band at Stamford. Bloody hell, they're on form at the moment aren't they?

No dancers tonight. The keyboards/synths were handled by Niall (who's running out of positions to fill, it'll have to be either drums or frontman next Mr. Hone!), with a bit of (presumably) sonic wibble from Dibs. Most of the vocals were handled by both Dibs and Dave which I thought really worked well.

Overall the removal of the overabundance of instruments has really helped the sound. Last time I saw them was about a years and a half ago in Bedford and they really left me cold with the indistinct muddy sound.

This time around the sound is firmly dominated by guitar, bass and drums. I have to say I'm seriously impressed by Haz, he really stood out musically and seems to have invigorated Dave. He looks a bit like the ******* love child of Lemmy and Dave Grohl, and plays both very melodically whilst maintaining a propelling aggressive rhythm. Every song was stretched out into an elaborate interweaving guitar and bass jam with Richard coming along for the ride. Put it this way, it's the first time I've *ever* enjoyed them playing Orgone Accumulator - gone is the Chas and Dave throwaway vibe, and back is the lengthy bass and guitar workout: shades of Space Ritual.

The new material has really been given a chance to breathe, the opening song The Machine seemed to last almost 20 minutes alone and did not outstay it's welcome.

By the end of the gig, they were dancing in the aisles of the old refurbished cinema that is the venue. Some glam nut Noel Fielding lookalike in a silver glitter crop top was lapping it up at the front. Sat next to me was a guy who said he was an old band mate of Niall's from Mandragora days. He was as impressed as me and final words were that it was the best gig since the days of old bob. I first saw the band live in 1989 and have seen most tours since then. I am struggling to think of a better Hawkwind gig I've ever been to. It really was that good. They'd be fools not to at least put out a live album of this show, Dibs' additional narrations throughout really add to it.

Post subject: Re: Stamford Corn Exchange
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:40 am 

That pretty much sums up my experience of the London gig. I've been going regularly since the mid 80s and it was the best Hawkwind performance I've witnessed.
Haz is amazing and the stripped down sound meant Dave's guitar was clear in the mix whereas often it is swamped by the synths.
The whole feel of the show was like they'd recaptured Space Ritual-era Hawkwind and there better be a live album officially released!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:33 am 

thank's for the analysis! - seem's like the bird is flying ever onward! - good news

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:20 pm 

Entirely concur with Dell 1972's description of the gig, so I'm not going to repeat much of what he has written, but what other band could 'lose' two members and still put on an amazing show. We very much liked the stripped-down sound, and even my dear partner, who does accompany me on an occasional foray into the Hawk-world enjoyed the gig and wasn't too sarcastic afterwards. Like me, she thoroughly enjoyed Haz, and without wishing to denigrate previous bass players, I think he is the best that I have witnessed. First Class!!

Board index » Test category 1 » Tours Past & Present