Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post subject: Greetings from the Motor City
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:45 am 

Hi, everyone. I've been trying to join this forum since I picked up the Super Deluxe WOTEOT from Atomhenge in late May. After giving up and reconciling myself to "read only" status, I joined the Yahoo Hawkwind list. Then I got an e-mail from Dave the mod, explaining that he has a life outside the forum, and all was forgiven.

I've been into Hawkwind since the Space Ritual album. I didn't quite get to see the band on 28.11.73 at the Ford Auditorium. My friends got free tickets; apparently they couldn't sell out the venue (which had shitty acoustics anyway and is now torn down) and and were passing out freebies. I'd just turned 16, didn't have my driving license yet...

My first date with the band was 23.03.74, with the Welsh jam band Man opening (and they were awesome). That was at a venue called the Michigan Palace, where I would see them two more times: 31.10.74 (I think Suzi Quatro's brother Mike opened; I no longer have the stub, and a friend swears it was in September, not October, but whatever. If you can remember you weren't there, lol). That was the HOTMG tour.

My last Hawkwind show was also Lemmy's last US date: 10.05.75, on the WOTEOT tour. I think a Canadian band called Chilliwack opened, but I didn't pay much attention to them; I was there to see Brock and Co. This was the gig after which Lemmy got busted going through the Canada tunnel with speed.

IMHO Hawkwind were never the same afterward, though I liked a little of Quark and maybe 1 or 2 cuts from Astounding.

The band finally returned to Detroit in Oct 1989 on the Xenon Codex tour and again two years later in May 1991, but by then I was into other things, though I never lost my fondness for their 1970-75 output.

I live between Detroit and Ann Arbor, both of which have their share of great used record stores. I managed over the years to procure every Hawkwind LP I wanted except WOTEOT. I have never seen one in the wild and for reasons which elude me at the moment I never tried to get one on e-bay or GEMM. So when I heard the announcement (late) in early May that the LP would be repressed as part of some super deluxe box set I knew I had to have a copy despite the steep price tag USD 146. I'm happy with it, though I'd still like to get an original vinyl (both Atco and (especially) UA.

Sorry for the rambling,
Ron from Detroit

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Greetings from the Motor City
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:41 am 

Location: Lost beyond the Black Hole's apparent horizon - Yorkshire
Welcome to our version of reality. Enjoy your stay.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:54 am 

hi rond - thanks for your story - very interesting - ann arbhor was the stooges stomping ground (amongst others) for their spawning period - michigan palace was where matallic ko was recorded i think - hope you get to see the mighty hawks this time round

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:45 pm 

Brown Dawn wrote:hi rond - thanks for your story - very interesting - ann arbhor was the stooges stomping ground (amongst others) for their spawning period - michigan palace was where matallic ko was recorded i think - hope you get to see the mighty hawks this time round

I walked out of that Metallic KO show in Feb '74. Iggy played a local watering hole called the Rock & Roll Farm in Wayne, MI, a notorious hangout of the biker gang Scorpions. I guess he did something to piss them off and got his ass kicked. They found out he was playing the Palace and went there en masse to give him (and much of the audience) a hard time. Me and my friends were up front and the bikers in the audience were throwing bottles and eggs at the stage. I thought the band sucked anyway, quite frankly (though I love the Stooges' albums).

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:53 pm 

welcome. great introduction!!

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:58 pm 

thanks for your reply rond - incredible that you were at the metallic gig - big part of me upbringing was the detroit stuff - boredom probably nurtured creativy - stooges, mc5, ted nugent and i seem to remember alice cooper was hanging loose too? and morisson? - thanks again - ron asheton r.i.p.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:30 pm 

Nice story Ron. Welcome, and nice to know Detroit has a place in its heart for Hawkwind.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:25 am 

may the road rise to meet you, Rondagwell :-)

Report this post

Board index » Test category 1 » Newbie's