Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post subject: Hello Hawkwind community!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:49 pm 

Greetings all

I first got into Hawkwind through mates at Uni... saw them three times at UEA Norwich, with a particularly memorable laser show during the Xenon Codex tour. After leaving Uni for the big wide world, I did the unthinkable and rather neglected the band. Sorry! :oops:

But then two things happened: I got online, and Atomhenge came along. I had enjoyed QS&C, Levitation, Xenon Codex and COTBS on vinyl but wanted the CDs. After the odd check online every now and then, more in hope than expectation, I was delighted to discover the Atomhenge remasters of these classics, and then things really took off: I have been steadily working my way through the EMI and Atomhenge catalogues; I raced through Carol Clerk's Saga of Hawkwind, and discovered Starfarer's superb website, making very heavy use of the reviews and the Hawkwind Codex.

I saw the band in Manchester last Jan after a 23 year absence, on an evening when the snow really came down - it was a magical night. I can't believe the years I've missed out on - so I'm making up for lost time. 3hrs listening time per day as a minimum - getting stuck in traffic isn't a chore any more. I love reading about the gigs and opinions on the various albums.

So, after much lurking, and feeling a bit nervous about joining what looks to be a very warm and friendly community... here I finally am. It's taken me a long time to fully appreciate the band - not just the music, but the whole sense of heritage, the genuine status of the people's band...I've had some personal stresses over the last year (who hasn't?) but Hawkwind has been the perfect release.

So, instead of writing all of the above, I could simply have said: thank you - you have given me so much

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Hello Hawkwind community!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:23 am 

Hi Demented Stan, Welcome Aboard!

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:55 pm 

Hi Stan. Stan By Please (dodgy early 1970's bootleg reference!). Sounds like you 'get' the different Hawkwind styles and era's. This makes the desert island experience out in space more tolerable if you ever get stranded with only Hawkwind records for company.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:01 pm 

Cheers both

Yep, I love the feel of the different eras - the raw power and trance-like rhythms of the early 70s, the melody and fierce wit of the Calvert era, the searing guitar of HLL at his peak, the inventiveness of the early 90s..... and then I caught up with TMTYL (love Jez Huggett's playing)and BOTE, and was blown away by both.

I'm now looking at the retrospective live albums (always preferred live albums). I bought Collectors Series 2 (Live 82) and was pleasantly surprised by the sound quality, and loved the atmosphere - sounds like a cracking gig. Atomhenge 76, I thought, is a decent offering (sound a bit dodgy but well prepared for this from the reviews) and I understand that material from this era is at a premium, so this album is especially welcome.

So where from here? Live 1990 has very good reviews and I share with Mr House a Nottingham origin, so this is especially appealing. Having trawled through the Voiceprint reviews (I don't mind rough around the edges recordings but I might draw the line at Glastonbury 90!), the quality, in descending order, seems to be something like:

Treworgey Tree Fayre (but really Bristol?)
Reading 92
Minneapolis 89
USA Tour 89-90
Winter Solstice
Glastonbury 90

I'll probably be tempted by at least the first three at some point - does this order look about right? I'd love some material from the TMTYL tour, but I gather that Winter Solstice is at the poorer quality end of the spectrum....still, my Hawkwind cravings grow stronger each day...

Respect to all who navigated their way through the releases without the internet help! I may yet decide to end up with one Yuri Gagarin, but certainly would not have wanted half a dozen!!

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:49 pm 

Location: Lost beyond the Black Hole's apparent horizon - Yorkshire
Hi, welcome to our more pleasant version of realiity. If it makes you feel better, I recently attended my first gig in 35 years! Always stayed faithful though.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:03 pm 

Greetings HairyGT4

Quite agree, this version of reality is much more acceptable! That must have been some homecoming for you. I was very impressed by Mr Dibs' vocals in Manchester; Tim Blake as the support act was a real bonus. And, alongside Dave, of course, Richard Chadwick was there to provide some continuity from the previous gig back in December '89. What did you make of Hawkwind 2013?

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:31 pm 

hi there! - i particularly like california brainstorm and palace springs (treadmill is brill) - maybe check out atomhenge for these - best wishes bd

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:51 pm 

Hi Brown Dawn!

Funny you should say that - I had the Palace Springs reissue in the car last week. Treadmill is indeed a cracking piece - as some others have said, Space Bandits with the addition of Treadmill, Damage of Life and Back in the Box (the studio version I rather like) would have been some album.

Best wishes

Demented Stan

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:41 pm 

Welcome Stan weve been saving a seat on the spaceship for you good to have you onboard

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:47 pm 

Cheers Mike

Definitely feels it's time I left this world today - beam me up!

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:57 pm 

Location: Earth City, Southampton, England. On Outskirts, Galaxy 9
Beaming you now Demented Stan! Welcome aboard! Take your seat as we are about to leave the solar system and head out into deep space for a trip of a life time! Once again, welcome aboard!

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:58 pm 

Oh wow .. space is deep...cheers SpaceChase67!

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:08 am 

Stan, Nottingham 1990 is well worth getting. This was a golden time for Hawkwind. The Palace studio tracks and 7th Star from 1990 gives you more or less an album of original material. The weird tapes has some of the best live stuff covering 76-8. Bootlegs can be good too - Magic Bike Festival from 1983 is a personal favourite - very clear sound. Undisclosed Files is good for 80's live.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:25 pm 

Cheers barnetquark

I've been working my way through the weird tapes and now have the set (apart from the famous missing 9th that I've read about!!). Really love this material, especially the Stonehenge numbers.

I was wondering about the (Nottingham) Live 1990 set, and will now definitely give this a go. I've got half of Undisclosed via the Xenon Codex remaster, but am interested in the 1984 half, even though some of the reviews aren't too hot, so will probably try to get a second hand copy.

I've recently discovered the Yellow Rat - huge thanks to the Captain. I particularly like the Bergen concert - the TMTYL numbers sound great, and the reworking of Paradox is superb. Really sorry Jason is no longer here - his playing sounds superb. RIP.

I hadn't heard of the Magic Bike Festival - look forward to tracking this down.

Many thanks for your suggestions - much appreciated

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:23 am 

peace and joy to you always, Demented Stan :-)

Report this post

Board index » Test category 1 » Newbie's