Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post subject: Greetings from Dallas
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:31 am 

Hi everyone. I've been listening to Hawkwind for about 20 years since I stumbled upon a cut-price cassette comp back in '92, '93. I think I still have it somewhere...It mainly covered studio tracks from XISOS thru HOTMG. But it stuck with me. I dug thru Space Ritual and the band became a touchstone for me and my more musically adventurous friends but we only really knew of tracks from the UA years.

Recently I've been digging into the Atomhenge re-releases (and yes, I've actually purchased the CDs - no downloads) and I've discovered a side of the band I didn't know existed. Oh sure, I'd heard OF Quark, Strangeness and Charm -- but I never really had the chance to listen to the LP until recently. Wow. That's all I can say. Since then I've fallen under the spell of the Calvert/Brock '76-'79 era and I've been avidly collecting original vinyl issues when I can find them and a generous chunck of the Atomhenge catalog.

Unfortunately I've gotten some flack from friendly "fans" who seem to only want to appreciate the very earliest material. Ha! What a shame. It's all good!

Anyway, just wanted to post my ramblings and let everyone know that I'm completely stoked about their U.S. tour and yes, I've already bought my tickets!

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Greetings from Dallas
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:04 am 

Greetings!!
Superb to see another dallas fan, and thought I might mention if you did not already know-
the best dealer here in all the land is named Randy Frierson, who runs a shop called "Groovenet". (formerly RPM records in the glory days)
He is now semi-retired and the shop keeps bankers hours. Best to call and make sure he is not headed home before going. He can order new material like nobody else. The shop is small now but he is very tuned into HW and all that is great. If you do see him (ever) tell him to go easy on me since I gave him a plug here :) :)
I don't get around anymore but i would guess "forever young" records in Irving would still be the best record shop for a quantity of vinyl, although Randy can and will get all the new material.
Just thought I'd mention these things in case it's any use, or to see if you know them.

Let's hope Dallas does not catch on fire before October :)

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:34 am 

Location: Lost beyond the Black Hole's apparent horizon - Yorkshire
Welcome to our alternative reality

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:34 pm 

Welcome crunkyteen. You have successfully passed through the 4th protocol security checks. Please leave your Hawkwind LP's in the booth on the right before you depart. Your next task is to delve into RCA Hawkwind, if your tastebuds are that way inclined. :mrgreen:

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:07 am 

Thanks for the welcome y'all (hey i'm in Texas!). Mike, i used to shop @ RPM back in the 90s. Great store! I've bought a few things from Forever Young - another good vinyl store but pricey. Latest acquistion - Sonic Assassins ep. Already onto the RCA material. Huw was a very talented musician! Understatement. Ordered a vinyl copy of Live Seventy Nine.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:19 pm 

crunkyteen wrote:Thanks for the welcome y'all (hey i'm in Texas!). Mike, i used to shop @ RPM back in the 90s. Great store! I've bought a few things from Forever Young - another good vinyl store but pricey. Latest acquistion - Sonic Assassins ep. Already onto the RCA material. Huw was a very talented musician! Understatement. Ordered a vinyl copy of Live Seventy Nine.

That's so cool that you know them, and I KNEW I should have mentioned the prices at Forever Young.
I had a face-to face "session" with the owner trying to get to the bottom of that. All I recall now is him explaining that he runs on the assumption that "you want it".
For me the days of actual record shop "shopping" are over, but he defitnitely helped in the past and I was willing to pay as I always am with Hawkwind goods, if you've got '"he right stuff" hehehe.
He is actually a Bob Dylan authority has written a book on the items, I think.
I'd still go see Randy if he didn't ban me from the store :) :) :) (and blocked my emails)
HAHAHAHA

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:23 pm 

So Mike, I was down in Austin this weekend and checked out The Mohawk where the Wind will be playing in October. It's actually a very cool venue with a great sound system but the stage is a tad small to pull off any sort of exciting psychedelic light show. Still, it'd be a rather intimate venue to check out the band. Thinking about trying to see both Austin and Dallas shows but I haven't quite made up my mind.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:29 am 

Hiya crunkyteen - good to see you on here. I have sent you a pm to kick off with.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:49 pm 

crunkyteen wrote:So Mike, I was down in Austin this weekend and checked out The Mohawk where the Wind will be playing in October. It's actually a very cool venue with a great sound system but the stage is a tad small to pull off any sort of exciting psychedelic light show. Still, it'd be a rather intimate venue to check out the band. Thinking about trying to see both Austin and Dallas shows but I haven't quite made up my mind.

Thanks very much for this info!!!

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:03 am 

Crunky, I have a question for you. Do you know Grassy Noel?

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:20 pm 

thanks for welcome
i am newbie i am listening about hawkwind for some time ago .this name created curiosity in me at last i am able to join this community with the help of internet

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:03 pm 

areena wrote:thanks for welcome
i am newbie i am listening about hawkwind for some time ago .this name created curiosity in me at last i am able to join this community with the help of internet

Greetings!!

His name did so for me as well!!! I first thought he would be a teenager, then (with help), realised he is likely older if he had been to the shops here when he said he did.
I then went off researching his name and ended up on a book reading list and that was where I left it.
I hope he is doing good.
welcome aboard

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:47 pm 

barnetquark wrote:Crunky, I have a question for you. Do you know Grassy Noel?

Sorry for the late reply...I sorta wandered off there for a moment.

No I don't know Grassy Noel. But he sounds like the type I probably should know...

Hawkwind update: We're in Rocktober. The Granada show is around the corner. Currently digging on '90s Hawkwind - Electric Teepee is a fave.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:11 am 

peace and joy to you, Crunkyteen ~
as you trip on through the eternal
cosmic slop ! :mrgreen:

Report this post

Board index » Test category 1 » Newbie's