Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post subject: Pink Fairies
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:02 pm 

Ok. Lets talk little bit about Larry Wallis and Pink Fairies. Can you tell me everything you know about Pink Fairies discography?
Those are albums:
1. Never neverland (1971)
2. What a bunch of sweeties (1972)
3. Kings of oblivion (1973)
4. Live at roundhouse (1975)
5. Kill em and eat em (1987)

I wanna know is there any other album? BUT no compilations, best of's, or something like that. I heard there are few albums more but they are not real Pink Fairies they are just SOME PEOPLE FROM PINK FAIRIES. Twink have one album, Paul Rudolf and twink have one or two albums, what I want to know - Is there any album more exept those 5 where are all 5 or 6 members of the band in it??? Those 5 albums are complete discography?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:15 pm 

Hello there, hello there......................

What a great band, and an interesting question!

On a similar note can anyone shed some light on the Nuclear Waste single by the Radio Actors, featuring Nik Turner? Thanks!

Up the Pinks..............

Post subject: Re: Pink Fairies
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:49 pm 

And what about "PinkWind" - are there any recordings of the Hawks / Fairies combination?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:14 pm 

i gotta coupla pinkwind cds so they DO exist.
dunno where to buy them from though as mine were a gift from Dani Speakman himself!!!
maybe you could send him a message through his myspace and ask him yourself??
http://www.myspace.com/danipsychikatters

http://www.sdcomputing.co.uk

all of us are in the gutter but some of us are looking to the stars

ROOK MET MATE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:58 pm 

A few more:

1. The Golden Years '69 - '71
2. Live at Wheeley
3. Previously Unreleased (LP, Big Beat 1984) - later combined with 'Live At The Roundhouse' on CD

Then there are quite a few with only Twink or 1 or 2 more ex-Fairies but most of them are not good at all.

The only real gem is Bevis & Twink's Magic Eye on Woronzow label (vinyl only).

The Pinkwind and Hawkfairies CDs are probably the worst 2 CDs of my entire collection. They are not worth the material on which they are pressed. Avoid under all circumstances. I believe you can read a review on the Starfarer website...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:02 pm 

Hawkfan wrote:
On a similar note can anyone shed some light on the Nuclear Waste single by the Radio Actors, featuring Nik Turner? Thanks!

7" vinyl from 1979: A. Nuclear Waste / B. Digital Love

Sting - Lead Vocals
Steve Broughton - Drums
Steve Hillage - Guitar
Nik Turner - Sax & Vocal
Mike Howlett - Drums
Harry Williamson - Rhythm Guitar & Vocals
Gilli Smyth - Vocals

I think this is actually quite good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:27 pm 

Spaceman3 wrote:A few more:

1. The Golden Years '69 - '71
2. Live at Wheeley
3. Previously Unreleased (LP, Big Beat 1984) - later combined with 'Live At The Roundhouse' on CD

Then there are quite a few with only Twink or 1 or 2 more ex-Fairies but most of them are not good at all.

The only real gem is Bevis & Twink's Magic Eye on Woronzow label (vinyl only).

The Pinkwind and Hawkfairies CDs are probably the worst 2 CDs of my entire collection. They are not worth the material on which they are pressed. Avoid under all circumstances. I believe you can read a review on the Starfarer website...

Yea, I know about "previously unreleased" because I have CD live at roundhouse. I heard that this 6 track's are not Pink Fairies just Larry Wallis. What about golden years 69 - 71? Is this "best of" or something?
"Live at wheely" I never heard for that one. Is good, you have set list? Is it
bootleg or official?

Im only interested (for now) in official albums, no best of's, compilations....
Just real official studio and live albums and where are all 5 or 6 of them on it. I only heard for this 5 albums:

1. never neverland
2. what a bunch of sweeties
3. kings of oblivion
4. live at roundhouse
5. Kill em and eat em

Is that all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:40 pm 

Location: Kent, UK, in an unfashionable spiral arm of the galaxy
The Fairies history is almost as convoluted as Hawkwind's because of the Mick Farren / Deviants connection.

Probably the best summary can be found here --> http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/_drw01/pinkfairies.html

The Fairies/Deviants were supposed to play the Roundhouse last year but Larry Wallis did his back in so it got cancelled. If they can fill it, why not Hawkwind?

P.s. avoid the Pinkwind albums at all costs. They are appalling. They eptomise the reasons that we sjould be grateful that DB has kept control of the HW output and not just left it to ex-members.

*** Note for older Hawkwind fans - the site above is based on Brian Tawn's Hawkfan material. Does anyone remember sendind off an SAE for the photostatted newsletters? I've still got a load somewhere. ***

I must be normal........

I must be normal........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:21 pm 
Jimski wrote:The Fairies history is almost as convoluted as Hawkwind's because of the Mick Farren / Deviants connection.

Probably the best summary can be found here --> http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/_drw01/pinkfairies.html

The Fairies/Deviants were supposed to play the Roundhouse last year but Larry Wallis did his back in so it got cancelled. If they can fill it, why not Hawkwind?

P.s. avoid the Pinkwind albums at all costs. They are appalling. They eptomise the reasons that we sjould be grateful that DB has kept control of the HW output and not just left it to ex-members.

*** Note for older Hawkwind fans - the site above is based on Brian Tawn's Hawkfan material. Does anyone remember sendind off an SAE for the photostatted newsletters? I've still got a load somewhere. ***

Remember it well sending off an SAE for Brian Tawns newsletters.

On the subject of the Pink Fairies - I LUV 'EM! The Previuosly Unreleased LP features Wallis and Duncan Sanderson and is pretty good. Lazza has a solo album Death In The Guitarfternoon which is well worth a listen. His single Police Car is essential as is Motorhead's On Parole which of course features Larry on guitar and some lead vocals.

The Deviants are excellent as well as is most of Mick Farren's solo stuff and again well worth a listen. I only have the Twink Think Pink album which has all the original Fairies including Mick Farren on it (no Larry Wallis though) and Psychedelic Punkeroo.

Wallis also appears on a 12" I used to have by the Redbirds and various members pop up here and ther (eg in the Lighning Raiders and alongside Steve Jones and Paul Cook I think too)

Their history is indeed like Hawkwind's!

(oh and the Pinkwind/Hawkfairies cds are not that great. They were recorded live in the nineties and have Nik Turner, Twink and i think Judge Trev from ICU - not a "true" Pinkwind jam as experienced by those lucky enough to see live in the early seventies)

Post subject: Re: Pink Fairies
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:51 pm 
BlackAdder wrote:Ok. Lets talk little bit about Larry Wallis and Pink Fairies. Can you tell me everything you know about Pink Fairies discography?
Those are albums:
1. Never neverland (1971)
2. What a bunch of sweeties (1972)
3. Kings of oblivion (1973)
4. Live at roundhouse (1975)
5. Kill em and eat em (1987)

I wanna know is there any other album? BUT no compilations, best of's, or something like that. I heard there are few albums more but they are not real Pink Fairies they are just SOME PEOPLE FROM PINK FAIRIES. Twink have one album, Paul Rudolf and twink have one or two albums, what I want to know - Is there any album more exept those 5 where are all 5 or 6 members of the band in it??? Those 5 albums are complete discography?

To answer the original post...

1) Twink - Think Pink 1970 has the Never Never Land line up (Sanderson, Rudolph, Twink, Hunter) PLUS Mick Farren

2) WABOS has only 3 members (Hunter, Rudolph & Sanderson)

This line up along with Mick Farren recorded the Deviants 3 LP

3) Kings of Oblivion has only 3 members ( Wallis, Sanderson & Hunter)

4) There are 2 singles not on the lps. The first one Well Well Well/ Hold On feature Sanderson, Hunter and Wallis's brief replacement and are I think both on the remastered cd release.
The other single is Between The Lines/Spoiling For A Fight and has the Kings of Oblivion Line up. They also backed Mick Farren on the single Outragious Contagious. Most if not all of these are available on a couple of Stiff records compilations
5) The live at The Roundhouse album has Wallis, Sanderson, Hunter, Rudolph & Twink
6) Kill Em & Eat Em has Wallis, Sanderson, Twink, Hunter & Andy Colquohoun

Like Hawkwind things become very complicate with as you say a couple of members releasing albums together but what you have listed above are I think pretty much the "core" albums. Some people consider Think Pink as the first Fairies lp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:02 pm 

Live At Weeley

1. Riders In The Sky
2. Tomorrow Never Knows
3. The Snake
4. Why Does A Red Cow?
5. Uncle Harry's Last Freakout

What the Critics Say

As a live recording, Live at Weeley 1971 is frustrating. The Pink Fairies were just hitting their stride as a live act, and the record captures a frenzied, pounding set as the band tears through classics like "Tomorrow Never Knows" and "The Snake." The band is in peak form and the songs, though extended into psychedelic jams, never become tedious. Unfortunately, the sound quality is just a hair above that of an audience-recorded bootleg, and that seriously hampers the listenability of the record. It's a shame, because the Pink Fairies made their reputation as a fearsome live show, yet no truly definitive concert recording of the band has ever emerged. Live At Weeley 1971 could have served as a great introduction to the formidable live energy of the Pink Fairies, but instead, because of the muddy sound mix, is a wasted opportunity that is best left for the diehards. ~ Victor W. Valdivia, All Music Guide

The Golden Years

http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Years-1969 ... B000001JMD

If you search amazon there are even more of these archive live releases. I don't have any of these and I am not sure about their quality.

I love all the core albums you listed in the first place but all other ones are really not that great or just awful (except for Bevis and Twink but I repeat myself...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:29 am 

I pick up two of their albums on CD few years ago and not bad!
My boss saw them in London early 70's.

up the Pinks! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:49 pm 

Wayne Kramer and the Pink Fairies: Cocaine Blues CD.

Dunno what it's like tho.

Pink Fairies were supposed to play on Stuart Maconie's Freak Zone on BBC Radio Six a couple of months ago but didn't turn up. Maconie had to play a murky version of Brainstorm from Greasy Truckers which he cut short after about 5 minutes. Doh!

Post subject: Pinkwind
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:55 am 

Spiral Navigators bassist Kosmik Andy recalls touring as a dj on tour by the unbelievably sublime but short lived outfit Pinkwind.This version of a truly remarkable amalgam of incredible bands, Included NIk Turner, sax and singer of early seventies Hawkwind, Twink Pink fairies drummer and writer of this track , Dani Speakman Psichik Hatters /spacepirates guitarist, Michael Quartermain Lyricist and bass player ( who notably worked with Steve Winwood and Stomu Yamashta in the supergroup Go.)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Spiral-N ... 6885037221

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:06 pm 

Highscores: 1
There's also 'Mandies and Mescaline at Uncle Harry's', which is quite a good live album from the early line up.

Another great album featuring Larry Wallis is Mick Farren's 'Vampires Stole my Lunch Money'. One of my all time favorite albums (it also features a pre-Pretenders Chrissie Hynde.

The Pinkwind/Hawk Fairies albums are truely atrocious and to be avoided by all but the most avid collectors (I doubt you'd ever play it more than once!). Twink was behind these releases. I was at the Festival of the Sun where the first one was recorded. It was an OK gig, but should never have seen release. It does nothing to enhance the reputations of Hawkwind or the Pink Fairies. The Hawk Fairies album is even worse!

In the mid 1990's Twink recorded a couple of albums with Paul Rudolph in Canada, which were released as 'Pleasure Island' and 'No Picture'. They are not great, but not too awful either. However, they should not have been released under the Pink Fairies name.

Twink was also in a 70's punk band called The Rings. There is a live recording on his compilation CD 'Odds and Beginnings'.

There is also an album of unreleased PF/Larry Wallis material, the name of which escapes me at the moment, but it includes 'Waiting for the Lightening to Strike'and such.

Plus there is a live Deviants album from about 1984 with Mick Farren, Larry Wallis and Wayne Kramer... I think it's called 'Outrageous Contageous'.

Board index » Test category 1 » Any Other Business