Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 386 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Peace Sells But Who's Buying ?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:42 am 

[quote="SteamAbacus"]What the **** is going on in America?

It's farcical. I'm trying to find it funny but can only muster a sense of ominous trepidation.

...end excerpt.....

If your referring to the mass protests by the sore-loser-Liberals against Trump's agenda, it is the result of a corporate media-sculpted perception that their new president is somehow a threat to their way of life.

And then there is the very real and certain repeal of Obama’s Affordable Care Act, which, without a viable replacement, leaves 20 million healthcare-insured Americans with no plan or way to pay for healthcare. The problem there is most of them that are on Obama’s plan no longer have rights of ownership to their estate ~ they signed off on that in the fine-print, and so their heirs are left with nothing. Those that are able to pay in to the system are forced to do so, by facing penalty under Internal Revenue Service (if they do not pay for insurance), an arm of government which will seize property and all assets to settle fines that grow exponentially under ridiculous interest rates.

Talk about brainwashed masses.
Obama was mostly a fraud.
The one good thing about his ACA was that it made the law that insurance providers can no longer refuse to insure Americans with pre-existing health conditions, as they had before. Under that law IPs also cannot drop an insured patient when they become ill.

Those laws could have been enacted by Congress in lieu of a 20,000-page legislative draft !

And there is strong reason to believe there will be such legislation under Trump.

It's also a lot of women who are outraged by Trump's past misogynistic comments caught on tape, for which he did publicly apologize and admit it was stupid locker-room talk amongst alpha-males; they apparently do not think an apology is quite enough, they apparently just want his resignation.

So far, it's all been campaign trail rhetoric ~ but the protesters are afraid he may deport illegal immigrants, people who are currently criminals because they sidestepped the vetting process and came to live in the U.S. without the government's permission.

And they are afraid he may place unfair surveillance , discrimination, and invasion of privacy on American Muslims, in an effort to guard against radical terrorist-cells developing there.
Trump had also said he would consider banning Muslims from entering the country.

But so far, Trump has done none of these things !

Remember in the campaign how Trump said he thought the voting was rigged many weeks before the voting had even begun?
Well, it seems Trump's adversaries are copying his technique of proactive accusation by protesting legislation that hasn't even been drafted yet !

Protesting the repeal of Obama’s ACA is fine and good, because that is already happening, and the Republicans in Congress have not announced any replacement plan, beyond saying they are in the process of drafting one.

If these wonderful protesters, God Bless them for their participation in the democratic process (whether I agree with them or not ~ at least they're not just sitting on their thumbs ), continue to show strength in numbers in their dissent, then more power to them. But I believe their numbers will dwindle as the new administration starts enacting (or not enacting) the legislation of their of their political agenda.

It's a protest mostly against Trump for having won the electoral vote and not the popular vote (which Clinton won by nearly three-million votes, the most in U.S. history for a losing candidate )

This is the situation as I see it, though I may be missing some relevant knowledge, due to the fact that I haven't followed closely in recent weeks.

They're letting the Republicans know there is mass opposition to members of the far-right having been elected to a majority of seats in both houses of Congress, and opposition to the repeal of ACA and [ what is perceived as ] discriminatory rhetoric against American Muslims.

They all need to wake up, open their eyes, and get real, IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:02 am 

That's not what I was referring to, Vik. Rather, what's coming out of the mouths of Trump, Priebus and Spicer and the manner in which those words were said. There's a very dangerous stink in the air.

As to all the healthcare stuff, I come from a very different world - I expect state funded healthcare for all, free at the point of delivery (it's only civilised) and, indeed, I'd probably have died in childhood without it.

The whole nuclear 'deterrance' thing seems like madness to me - the first and most important policy issue for me with any political party is their defence policy. Since 15th April 1986 I have not, and will not, vote for a party with a nuclear defence policy. I may be mad - but I'm not that mad. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:14 am 

Okay, gotcha Steam ! Thanks for clarifying your position
:-)
yes on healthcare I agree, in Canada we have a single-payer system as well. The ridiculous part of the American situation is that they could have far more easily placed every citizen on Medicare ~ that system already exists and is in place ~ all they needed to do was include everyone!

I will have to Google Trump, Priebus and Spicer comments to catch up !
Thanks for the tip !
(Actually, I have not been following any media outlets or their insidious propaganda, I only follow the independent UPI & AP reporting, and even there I've been a bit lazy!)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:28 am 

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxnews. ... t.amp.html?

have to agree with the view expressed here (if the Fox News reporting here is accurate )

Trump is the first president since Theodore Roosevelt to take on establishment big-business, in speaking harshly against the establishment and the corporate oligarchy in America, so naturally, the corporate-owned and controlled media are out to get him !

I've not seen this sort of campaign against a president or political figure in my lifetime, aside from the Kennedy assassinations.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:02 am 

@SteamAbacus :

In response to your reply on nuclear deterrence, I agree with your position as a matter in theory.

Perhaps I am not as bright as you, or perhaps I simply do not have the resolve to adhere to a belief system which I see as akin to pacifism in a sense; in all practical aspects, given that we live in a world in which nuclear proliferation has reached the point where madmen like Kim Jung Un and his ilk have their fingers on the button, I see no realistic way for there to be any disarmament short of globally unanimous agreement. But to me that would be the same thing as believing there is a chance for world peace, whereby everybody agrees to just get along with one another for all time.
A beautiful dream I long to see come true, but I know will never happen, unless Agri-Corp secretly engineers the implementation of drug-laced food on a global scale, doping every living person with something that makes everyone abhorrent and abstentious to anger and violence.

But I support your cause.
I just won't vote against nuclear deterrence until that magical day arrives.

[Edit] :

* Afterthought *

It should be possible, through genetic engineering, to create a global race of nonviolent people.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:45 am 

Location: Lost beyond the Black Hole's apparent horizon - Yorkshire
But would a world without violence and conflict have a future? Throughout history conflict has been the driving force behind technology, creativity and social evolution. A world without any conflict would likely be doomed to stagnation. Sadly the conflict gene seems integral to human development. Discuss...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:02 am 

Excellent discussion point, HairyGT4.

I guess I would start off by reasoning that a world without violence would not be free of conflict. It would require that people find solutions to conflict,
and without the counter-productive
barbarism of violence as [an attempted] solution, might unlock sources of creativity within us which primitive aggression might otherwise have a tendency to quash.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:26 pm 

HairyGT4 wrote:But would a world without violence and conflict have a future? Throughout history conflict has been the driving force behind technology, creativity and social evolution. A world without any conflict would likely be doomed to stagnation. Sadly the conflict gene seems integral to human development. Discuss...

The underlying theme of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Except, I would separate human aggression from the inevitabilty of violent conflict. I believe this was Kubrik's statement in the film (I can't vouch for the original book as I've not read it) - the aggression inherent in human nature can be channelled into creativity. Or, put another way, creativity is a functional expression of human aggression, violent conflict is a dysfunctional expression of human aggression.

Violence is born of fear. Overcome that fear and avoid projecting it outwards as violence and the world (humanity) could unlock its untapped creativity. A world without conflict would not be a world without aggression and would therefore be anything but 'stagnant'.

Remember the root of the word
aggression - from ad "to" + gradi (past participle gressus) "to step," from gradus "a step," figuratively "a step toward something, an approach"

A Utopian viewpoint? Maybe, but we can move towards that utopian dream and away from the dystopian nightmare we seem intent on at the moment. Greater numbers of human beings swarm this planet than ever before (and rising) and technology has created ever more efficient means of mass destruction. We'd do well to 'get over ourselves' pretty sharpish.

It's one of the reasons I have a lot of time for space exploration despite its enormous cost in energy terms. It's a far better channelling of technology and aggression than ever-more-destructive and ever-more-costly (and, if Trident is anything to go by, ever-more-unreliable) weaponry.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:37 am 

well speak of the devil ...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... life-forms?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:18 am 

my android replica is playing up again!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:53 am 

Brown Dawn wrote:my android replica is playing up again!

Have you tried turning it off and on ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:35 pm 

haha! - i'll make do with the blow up for now!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:40 pm 

It's official! :wink:

"Apocalypse is 30 seconds closer, say Doomsday Clock scientists"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-38760792

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:48 pm 

leave protractor's to the mathematician's Vik - haha!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:02 pm 

Just another 30 seconds ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IfM6HM2rRs

:lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 386 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

Board index » Test category 1 » Any Other Business