Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nik Turner's Fallen Angel
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:32 am 

At the risk of offending some/all of you, I don't give a sh*t about the "camps". I'm a fan of music and I'm just happy there's so much Hawk-related material still to choose from 44 years on. That sentence prefaces my next statement regarding Space Gypsy: it's a f*cking great record. I don't care how much it mimics the '71-'75 time frame, it hit the spot and was exactly what I wanted to hear.

Last edited by Sky Burial on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:54 am 

Any record that has Simon House is OK for me, anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:50 am 

Total agreement with SKY B - It seems absolutely absurd that on the official HAWKWIND Forum, we are either not allowed to mention, or are supposed to whisper the name NIK TURNER. A founding father of this now legendary band.
I can understand that 'those in the know' of the shenanigans have their reasons to take sides.
What is irksome however; Is those that take a stand and jump on the bandwagon - When they don't even know the in & outs of the long protracted saga.
Unlike many on here, I have never (knowingly) met the man; So have no personal axe to grind. I also do not have any first hand knowledge of the dispute (only what I've read).
I thought this was a free-forum. Not a text that needs to be censored by some Authoritarian dictat every time a certain name gets bandied around.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:39 am 

Sky Burial wrote:At the risk of offending some/all of you, I don't give a sh*t about the "camps". I'm a fan of music and I'm just happy there's so much Hawk-related material still to choose from 44 years on.

Probably no one else would give a shit about whatever camps ex-Hawkwind members want to put themselves in, either, if not for the fact that Nik Turner has continually tried to make things difficult for other people.

We're all fans of music and would welcome as much good music as possible, from whatever quarter. But again, Nik Turner has tried to limit that. If you remember, there was recently a concern that Hawkwind would cease to exist because of the latest Turner legal nonsense.

The recent forum comments about Turner have come because he, Turner, steadfastly refused to live and let live. This forum has carried news about Turner and other ex-members despite a lengthy and determined assault on subsequent Hawkwind lineups. It's taken a long time for patience to run out.

I don't think anybody wanted this impossible situation except Nik Turner himself, who's been determined to bring it about.

Owen Paterson: "I didn't move the goalposts. The badgers moved the goalposts." But the badgers never thought it was a fair game in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:21 am 

I think he's a bitter man that wishes that he was still a member of Hawkwind.
Pitifully,... the bitterness has clouded all reason and common sense.
I feel sad for him in a way.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:32 am 

Quit in haste, repent at leisure.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:50 am 

I think there is a lot more to it then what most of these posts have brushed upon so far in terms of Brock and Turner. Who are any of us to judge the internal relationships and feelings these two very beautiful voices in the music we all love feel? I truly believe they have have best intentions and perhaps Nik does miss his old friends and old times. Sometimes hurt plays out in ways that are misconstrued by outsiders of fans. But I truly don't feel intentions are bad here

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:16 am 

Rather naive point of view Deadboy. Its a business driven by egos when all is said and done.
I am waiting for someone to just start a thread that says "NIK TURNER NIK TURNER NIK TURNER" it wont be me I hasten to add

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:21 pm 

As a follow-up to my original post, I do understand that this is a forum by and for Hawkwind in the now and it is subject to the judgement calls of those who run it. I fully understand that b*llshit has ensued between founding members but I for one don't/won't let that affect my listening experience. Life is too short and and I won't sell myself short in terms of things I can/will enjoy. The fact that I live in the U.S. and am able to see Hawkwind and Nik within nine days of each other in Boston this October is one of the aforementioned instances of enjoyment. If ill will has ensued between folks, take comfort in knowing karma will rectify the situation at a time and place of its choice.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:32 am 

I am with Sky B on this one! All things aside being able to experience both Nik and Hawkwind within the same month is more than I could ask for

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:19 pm 

The really stupid thing about all of this, it seems to me, is that Nik Turner is determined to piss off the people who would otherwise have supported him. He could easily have continued alongside Hawkwind, as an ex member who made a valued contribution. And those who continue to support him do so on exactly those grounds, as the earlier messages from his supporters show.

But instead of continuing alongside Hawkwind, making good music and benefiting from the goodwill of the people who've bought his Hawkwind-era stuff and the ICU stuff and so on, he's determined to be a self-destructive asshole and attack Hawkwind and alienate the Hawkwind fans who would otherwise have been fans of his. People who like his music won't touch him because he's so destructive he shouldn't be supported, and can't be supported because support for him is damaging for Hawkwind. When someone's so determined to self-destruct and take others with him, all you can do is try to limit the damage.

Owen Paterson: "I didn't move the goalposts. The badgers moved the goalposts." But the badgers never thought it was a fair game in the first place.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:51 am 

Wait a minute there Sweep. Didn't Dave Brock fire all the members that might have helped found the band then without anyone's knowledge and trademark the name for himself? The spirit of the band in it's original form was beyond a trademark and made up of many voices. So who was anyone to trademark a name of band that was a commune band in true spirit? He should have been calling his thing Brockwind for all these years. It sounds fantastic and is as much his as Nik's or Calvert's or Dik Mik's or Lemmy's. He fired everyone for his gain and thats the truth. Music is king names mean nothing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:12 pm 

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Nik Turner was sacked (for the second time) long before Dave Brock trademarked the name.

As for names meaning nothing, I don't think Nik Turner would agree with you, as he seems to have been determined to get the name for himself.

I do agree with you about music being the important thing, though. That's why I wish Nik Turner would get on with what he does best - making music - and leave others alone to do the same.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:21 pm 

Thanks for the quick and respectful reply. I am excited by all sounds coming in from all Hawkwindish directions and bare no biased. But have you heard the new Turner music? It's closer to classic HW then anything I have heard since. Space Gypsy is gonna turn a few Hawkheads thats for sure. And it goes by Nik Turner no x blah blah blah. So no purist should feel guilty listening to it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:45 pm 

Respectfully...
Dave Brock wrote the music/lyrics, played guitar/keyboards, and did the sound mixing for a
vast portion of Hawkwind's massive catalogue.
Nobody can say that he doesn't have the right to the Hawkwind name after being a 44 year
founding member.
My wallet stays in pocket until the legal wranglings are over.
If I need to hear old Hawkwind, I'll just throw on Doremi or Space Ritual (etc).
I won't help to pay for the lawyers even if it is at my loss.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Test category 1 » Any Other Business