Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post subject: Modular madness
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:44 pm 
About half finished. ;-)

I need ladders.

tower.jpg
tower.jpg [ 424.41 KiB | Viewed 793 times ]

Post subject: Re: Modular madness
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:48 pm 

Nice. I like your Moog stuff. Did you hear they officially announced the last Voyager XL being assembled yesterday.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:49 pm 

Half finished? You mean modulars actually get finished?

I'm a bit annoyed with Moog discontinuing the Voyager. I've been thinking "one day if I've got the cash I'll get one of them" for a while.

The Model D resissue just doesn't appeal in the same way. And costs a heck of a lot more as well.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:51 am 
Possibly interesting news is that Behringer are thinking of releasing a Minimoog clone, no keyboard, $400. "If demand is there", which I think is a given.

There's also news that they're thinking of producing an ARP2600 and a Wasp clone.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:59 am 

Possibly related to the above, when speaking to my mate who repairs old analogue synths yesterday, he mentioned that Behringer
(or one of their associated companies) are starting to manufacture some old obsolete chips. If they continue to expand what is available,
that's good news for keeping these 'grand old ladies' working.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:47 pm 
I worked out that you can fake a 3080 chip by taking half of a 13700, grounding the buffer input stage and ignoring the rest of the buffer.

It was too boring for words, but you can indeed kludge things like Korg MS20 filters and Minimoog oscillators. They all had very simple chips, lots of modern equivalents.

I've even found a cheap way of doing Moog filters using Soviet matched transistor pairs (obsolete) in standard 8 pin packages. Got shedloads lying around waiting to be designed and soldered up.

The latest fun is building several 8 step sequencers which use an Arduino Pro Mini microcontroller - you programme it using a USB interface. The controller starts up on power on, loops around, detecting inputs and applying conditional logic to the outputs. Which makes it a lot simpler, and a lot more useful, than trying to build a sequencer using 70's electronics. The old way used to be to use two simple oscillators or a 555 timer to clock a clock divider and multiplexer. You could only run sequences forwards, which wasn't very useful. The Arduino allows you do do everything except wash the dishes.

promini.jpg
promini.jpg [ 296.83 KiB | Viewed 577 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:11 pm 
Interesting, just patched the sequencer rack (left) which contains three synths (Minitaur, Erebus, Hades), two sequencers and an effects unit through a preamp and into the modular (right.)

Well, I say "interesting", it's more "insane".

This means, build another valve preamp, Dave, clock the sequencer rack into the soon-to-be-built sequencers in the module, patch the sequencer rack into the module, sonic madness with 11 oscillators and four sub oscillators.

weirdy.jpg
weirdy.jpg [ 530.27 KiB | Viewed 572 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:24 pm 
To give you an idea, imagine the sequencer rack -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOQKoHBLSl8

playing simultaneously with the modular -

https://soundcloud.com/brotherhoodofthemachine/dronewav

Plus add lead synths, string synthesizers and, what the hell, Arabic percussion and sax as well. ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:25 pm 
Really must get this all live on stage at some point. ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0--VpjcrkU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:26 pm 

Location: Lost beyond the Black Hole's apparent horizon - Yorkshire
That thing will soon be able to rip a hole in Space-time! Does it have a weapon mode?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:27 am 

Looks dangerous. I would wear a lab coat and flying goggles... :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:21 am 
Thanks, gents ! Does look a bit mad scientist, doesn't it ??

What with all the early audio generators and valve oscilloscopes, it's gone a bit retro here. It's sort a bit of "Radiophonic Workshop bump into Early Hawkwind and Tangerine Dream". Very strange, and I gave up drink and drugs years ago, so this must be some kind of flashback.

Off to the garage with a pair of soldering irons, I have more junk to build and fix up. I think when I've got all this cased up and in some logical order (!!!) a jam session with my brother is coming up, he's got as much junk as I have. We'll get it filmed.

I'm kind of reminded of Redshift, a band who use early analogue synths on stage. They're so temperamental (synths, not the band) that they've only played about a dozen gigs due to the difficulties of shifting old bits of rubbish around and then expecting them to actually play.

This is the audio generator section. This all gets connected to a shed load of effects and someone has to sit there "playing" the thing, ie. twiddle something. Interesting noise ? Twiddle it more. I maaaaay build a theremin, that's easy.

threeosc2.jpg
threeosc2.jpg [ 318.73 KiB | Viewed 416 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:28 am 
Slightly more difficult to build, but "do-able".... laser harp.

You use a 532nm green laser (about £20) and a beam splitter. There are some notes around about how to build one with an Arduino microcontroller. It's quite simple. When the beam is broken, you send some MIDI information out. When the beam returns, you stop sending MIDI info out. So it's just "signal on/off" determined by one condition. I could use some easily available MIDI controller boards - Doepfer do them - so that's MIDI out. Connect it to an analogue synth and some effects, off you go.

Trouble is time, I'm over the stroke I had and back at work. But. It's all possible.

Total cost is apparently about £250 for the bits including laser, beam splitter, power supply, controller, MIDI interface and enclosure. I'm not aware of anyone selling these for under a four figure sum.

laserharp.jpg
laserharp.jpg [ 122.01 KiB | Viewed 412 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:41 am 
PS On Facebook as The All-Seeing Aubergine .

Well, I had to think of a name at short notice. Come and say hello, all welcome. ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:54 am 
Getting more complex by the minute.

These are two eight step sequencers (Arduino Pro Mini controlled) and a sequential switch which I'm building at the moment. Another two sequencers to build. They're quite easy.
When finished, the sequencers receive clock and reset signals from the sequencer rack, and run synchronised to it. So there's three synths chugging away playing multiple patterns (via two sequencers and an effects unit) on one, talking to four sequencers plugged into the modular. Eek.

Result ? It far outstrips anything Klaus Schulze had on stage. "Gig ready" after this. Bit more stuff to do, like add a quantiser to convert the CV output into exact musical notes, and possibly a clock multiplier / divider.

sc7.jpg
sc7.jpg [ 502.16 KiB | Viewed 247 times ]

Board index » Test category 1 » Any Other Business