Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post subject: Live in Space 1990
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 12:27 pm 

Hi again.

Recently I have enjoyed a lot of the 1989-90 recordings, including the nice little cd Live In Space 1990, which came with the book The Never Ending Story Of The Psychedelic Warlords.

Can anyone identify from which gig is the live part recorded? Some webpages including Wikipedia says it's from Leicester November, but when I listened to it back to back with the double cd Live 1990 it wasn't the same. One thing among the other different ones was the end of TV Suicide. On Live in Space there was this line "And your television is dead", which I haven't heard anywhere else.

Does anyone know where is it from?

Post subject: Re: Live in Space 1990
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 12:22 am 

According to Starfarer, it's from Leicester De Montford Hall on
November 5th 1990

http://www.starfarer.net/hwbooks.html

scroll down...

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:26 am 

That may be incorrect, it's anyone's guess where it was recorded. Perceived wisdom has it being a recording already available on the Live in Nottingham double, but I'll take your word for it that it is different. I need to dig that out and give it another listen. I do remember the disc has a completely unique demo version of Dave's Hi tech Cities on the end of it. The starfarer review states it's live, but I think it is just tacked on the end of the CD as a curiosity. I don't remember hearing the audience and from memory there is nothing else to suggest it is live.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:03 pm 

It's quite different from Nottingham 1990. OK a bit from memory here so could be wrong: no Simon House unlike Nottingham 1990 which was January and at the end of the 1989 tour, this Live In Space was later in the same year. Always thought the same about Hi Tech Cities.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:07 am 

The Nottingham 1990 album was actually two gigs, one being the audio from the bedrock video with Simon and the other being without Simon, so I think it is fairly similar to the show without Simon. It's weird that there is so much live footage of the band from that period but then again they were quite on form at the time. I will have to dig out the Live in Space CD, it occasionally surfaces in the mountainous record collection.

I remember them playing Leeds University and going to get my copy of Space Bandits signed by the band in some tiny record shop in Leeds somewhere. I was a bit disappointed that Dave didn't show, or Harvey for that matter (just Brigitte, Alan and Richard showed up). Somebody asked where Dave was and Alan laughed and said he'd had an argument with his girlfriend and she'd kicked him. That night Dave performed mostly sat on a stool, occasionally literally hopping up to the microphone. Years later in one of the books I read he'd actually been kicked by a horse!

Anyway, there wasn't a vast amount of variety from night to night, but they were quite enjoyable at that time. I'd love to hear more from the 89 tour with Simon. Not as much as I'd like to hear a live album of the current tour though actually....

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:00 pm 

After Simon left, the band's sound definitely got beefier, a bit more electronic and less ethereal. You can hear the transition through the Live in Space CD, through 1991 and on to Electric Tepee.

Back to 1989 and I'd REALLY like a SB recording of Damage of life with a very prominent Simon House on violin.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 5:31 pm 

According to the starfarer site's gig and setlists the combination of TV Suicide and Back in the Box (just as on Live in Space) was played on later 1990 gigs, not on early like Nottingham. I have gone through quite many audience recordings from 1990 now, but still haven't found the "your television is dead" line.
The search goes on...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:34 am 

Curiously, this has become available digitally on both amazon and qobuz under the memorable title "TV Suicide / Back in the Box / Paranoia / Assassins of Allah / Images / Hi-Tech Cities (Live in Space 1990) [Explicit]" as just one track, as was the original. Doesn't look especially legit a release, can't say I've ever heard of the record label Pop Pleasures, it's a genuine rarity.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:59 am 

Here too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dmBjEWL898

The details of the game...

Board index » Test category 1 » Albums + DVD\'s Videos etc