Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post subject: Re: Langton's Lead Lines column - Guitarist Magazine
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:32 am 

Thanks for taking the time to post this, interesting as I had just assumed his column would be about technique.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:16 am 

Yeah, I assumed it would be some nuggets on technique. The other one is even less so! My printer/scanner at home didn't really want to acknowledge the existence of the computer last night despite a reboot so the scans will have to wait.

The general gist of the other one is a brief and very general few sentences about amp types, followed by a discussion about avoiding technical failure on stage - if it goes wrong, check everything is still plugged in, try to have as many replacements as possible or at least replacement fuses, and keep your rig as simple as possible to avoid failure. Oh and buy sturdy flight cases as the roadies aren't gentle with your kit... Plus there's a cartoon drawing of a broken amp.

I was kind of hoping there'd be some word on technique and maybe a few tabs but no. Still they did actually come quite cheap so it's not a major problem. I've not really looked at the rest of the mags in any detail but on the previous page of one, there is a review of Billy Idol's latest release - The Rebel Yell!

There is an interview with Steve Howe as well, which may be interesting for me at least, although he'll probably be harping on about AOR abomination Asia given the date of release.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:02 am 

Thanks for the summary Dell. I do respect Steve Howe even though I don't listen to Yes anymore. You're not wrong with your description of Asia there! :D ABWH wasn't much better...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:34 pm 

Yep, and ABWH was my first exposure to Yes as well so it's a wonder I went further. As with Asia, nice artwork shame about the music. Say what you like about Yes (and Butterworth certainly did in his Hawklords novels), they sure know how to do a reissue.

Back to the guitar stuff, I'll get the screenshots when I can, things are a touch busy at the mo. I may get more if I find some cheap but the majority appear to be selling on ebay for a tenner a go, which is a bit steep for half a page of Huwie rambling about the pitfalls of being a gigging guitarist.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:47 pm 

I did have all the Yes albums up until Drama years back, Close to the Edge was always a goodie. Then I went off them a bit, along with ELP and Crimson. I found early Genesis and Tull a bit less overwrought.

I have ended up with a copy of Relayer and Yessongs on permanent loan though so I might give those a whirl and see what I think, some 15 years on... certainly some great musicianship and of course those Roger Dean album covers.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:11 pm 

Yeah, I used to be into them back in the late eighties early nineties, mainly the seventies output. Musically my favourite Yes is probably Close to the Edge, the Yes Album and Relayer. Hadn't really listened to them for a long time until fairly recently then dug out an old copy of Close to the Edge and was impressed enough to buy the bluray reissue. Once I'd figured out how to actually get the audio off it I found myself with about 8 or 9 versions of the album, even an instrumental version which is just weird, there's so many little vocal chants here and there that are really noticed when removed.

In a way it's a shame Warrior didn't get the full over the top treatment they're doing with seventies Yes, but then I read that Steven Wilson struggled with remixing Warrior to an extent because the whole Hawkwind sound is based around blended jammed instrumentation creating an overall feel, compared with the very clear separated sounds of a band like Yes.

In sixth form in the late eighties I actually did an art project on their covers. Roger Dean even invited me over to his house in Brighton to interview him. The famous covers are actually smaller in real life, all the newer ones like ABWH and Asia are massive (and stunning in the flesh). Would have been nice for him to have done a Hawkwind cover at least once, but I guess it would have been fairly pricey.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:27 am 

That's interesting about Steven Wilson's comments, I hadn't thought of it like that, even though Yes and Hawkwind are obviously worlds apart. Going to see him perform in October actually, though I haven't heard any of his remixes. Not generally a fan of remasters but I would trust him to do justice to the original material as he is such a 70's prog fan.

How great that you got to meet Roger Dean, I suppose the closest we get to him doing a Hawkwind cover is the Nottingham 1990 DVD.

Actually a friend of mine who is a professional paleo artist and used to do some CD cover art for CD Services in Dundee was apparently sounded out to do a Hawkwind cover around the Love in Space period. Unfortunately it didn't materialise, though the Alan Arthurs art is really cool so can't complain.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:10 am 

I never did post the other one I got - the September 84 issue. Was going to get scans of them but my printer at home is sulking with me so you'll have to put up with the typed content and imagine the pic of a blown up amp. I might try and smuggle the mags over the to the printer at work and try to scan it here at some point.

Amp sounds and let downs continued

Although valve amps are more prone to developing faults through wear and tear than transistor amps, I personally prefer the valve type, as in my opinion the sound is warmer and if distortion is required, it tends to be more subtle and natural than the added effect incorporated into a lot of transistor models. Having said that, it is definitely worth listening to both types of amplifier, as manufacturers are continuing their quest to produce a valve-sounding transistorized amp.

Moving on to the "let down" department, quite often, when a piece of equipment seems to have conked out and emits no sound whatsoever, it could be that a lead has become disconnected or it is faulty. I particularly remember one time when a couple of roadies (equipment maintenance engineers), in a state of panic, were about to completely dismantle my whole set-up to locate a fault. The situation was saved by an observant by-stander, who informed us that a jack-plug had become disconnected from a foot pedal, which can be quite a common occurrence on stages where there are many connecting leads being assaulted by over-enthusiastic feet.

Personally, I do my utmost to ensure that I have spares of all parts when booked for a gig:- i.e. Amp, Speakers, Leads etc., or when the finances haven't run to it, at least checked that existing leads are sound and that I have spare fuses for amplifier plugs.

Using a simple set-up, with the minimum of effects pedals, cuts down the development of possible complications although this is obviously totally dependent on the requirements of the individual guitarist.

At the end of the day, the reliability of equipment can depend largely on the way it is handled and kept. Amps and guitars tend to receive a fair amount of rough treatment in the hands of people who don't have to play the gear themselves and therefore treat it with little or no respect. It is almost impossible to keep an eye on one's property continually and therefore I would advise the proud owner to think seriously about investing in good solid flight cases in which sensitive, expensive equipment would be safe in uncaring (if not uncaring then extremely busy) hands and feet.

Good cases can be expensive, but eventually could save a lot of time, trouble and money.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:32 am 

Thanks for taking the time to type it out, Dell.

"roadies (equipment maintenance engineers)" - yeah, right! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:36 pm 

Thanks Dell. ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:39 pm 

I have a few early copies of the mag in the loft - including at lest one with Huw's column.

Also In-Tune magazine in which Bob Calvert had a column on songwriting!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:48 pm 

The In-Tune magazine column is a new one on me. Roughly what year was he doing the column do you remember?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:04 pm 

Must've been about 1983.

Board index » Test category 1 » Hawkwind Chat