Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Into the Woods
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:27 am 

SteamAbacus wrote:This has piqued my interest so I've ripped the track onto my computer and had a look at it in Audacity, zoomed in on the crackles. The way the crackles had gone from one side of the stereo image to the other did sound a bit like vinyl crackle but I thought the sound was far more 'digital'.

The waveform definitely has all the appearance of digital errors and you can see the glitches are always entirely on the left channel or right channel.

Definitely digital errors, I've seen and corrected a few in my time. Though usually they're both channels, often caused by bad editing. This could be caused by something else altogether, maybe in the mastering process. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:36 am 

Etherealise wrote:
Definitely digital errors, I've seen and corrected a few in my time. Though usually they're both channels, often caused by bad editing. This could be caused by something else altogether, maybe in the mastering process. :wink:

Well it sure needs sorting how on earth could they have allowed copies to go out to the shops and online retailers mind you if there is a recall and fault free editions go out the ones with the clicks will become collectable so i will keep my clicking vinyl and cd and buy the fault free ones when someone at Hawkwind HQ has woken up and sorted this out.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:40 pm 

Dell1972 wrote: I'd say on first listen Vegan Lunch should have ended up on one of Dave's solo albums

My thoughts exactly. Somehow Brock seems to have a tendency to throw in a song that doesn't fit at all, like Sweet Obsession on BOTE :D

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:12 pm 

This album seems to be the opposite of a grower. Some of the tracks I found OK (Into the Woods, Magic Scenes and Wood Nymph) I found after repeated listens I went for the skip button halfway through. I'm down to two tracks - Have You Seen them and Ascent.

The recording is much better than recent albums but the vocals are low in mix at times and there's too much going on with the synths which end up getting in the way.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:51 pm 

I actually find myself getting more and more excited with each play! I tell myself, stop now, put on something else, but then I think, nah, gonna put on Into The Woods again :D

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:55 pm 

and there you have it ladies and gentlemen, DEEP VENTS.

surely no deep cavern worth it's socks will be without them, whether submersed or otherwise.

Amazing how you add some digitial vinyl clicks and fans turn quickly on the music itself it makes them so mad!!

:P

good show (clapping)

ps-thanks Lucy, imagining you tell me the joke is on me as well

EDIT: WINK WINK NOT SERIOUS WINK

Last edited by mike coleman on Tue May 09, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:11 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MYobmPdOb4

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:33 pm 

[quote="Dell1972"]
I actually thought Spaceship Blues was a standout track, but then I don't mind a bit of New Riders of the Purple Sage every now and then. Yes the lyrics are recycled from Nuclear Drive, but to me it's making fun of the fact that a lot of alien abduction claims seem to come from Hillbillies.

When I was in ACTUAL HEAVEN this morning, watching this after 40 years or so, I thought of you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xgHmPJ ... L&index=12

2 mins 40 secs in, please

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:06 pm 

Maybe it's morse code? :wink:

" _ " T

" . . _ " U

" _ . " N

Image[/quote]

" . . . _ . " 'Understood' (in modern UTC morse) or 3 (in obsolete original American or German Gerke morse

:?

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:15 pm 

RE: Space Ship Blues
Dell1972 wrote:.... but to me it's making fun of the fact that a lot of alien abduction claims seem to come from Hillbillies.

...end...

funny that occured to me as well ~ as i thought how the most marginalised members of society tend to seek extreme measures of drawing attention, whether doing so consciously or otherwise.

But yeah I like the track too!
:-)

RE: clicks....
SteamAbacus wrote:Maybe it's morse code? :wink:

...end...

:lol:
Oh boy, here we go !

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:33 am 

mike coleman wrote:
Dell1972 wrote:I actually thought Spaceship Blues was a standout track, but then I don't mind a bit of New Riders of the Purple Sage every now and then. Yes the lyrics are recycled from Nuclear Drive, but to me it's making fun of the fact that a lot of alien abduction claims seem to come from Hillbillies.

When I was in ACTUAL HEAVEN this morning, watching this after 40 years or so, I thought of you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xgHmPJ ... L&index=12

2 mins 40 secs in, please

Excellent stuff Mike, I'm tempted to see how much of the whole thing I can get through at lunchtime.

Regarding the snap, crackle and pop I find it weird that a similar thing has turned up on the digital versions of the new FSOL album last week too, though just singular crackes at the start of a few tracks. Digital ones copies are easier to organise replacements. Here it's a bit harder, though bizarrely it kind of fits, that it should happen at the point the album seems to go a bit Wicker Man on us.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:48 am 

Had a re-think the album is great it took time but has grown on me it just did not hit me sonically straight away as The Machine Stops had done last year.All in all a worthy follow up.

Last edited by Lucy_Diamond_Queen on Wed May 17, 2017 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:52 pm 

now the proud owner! - cd player is dodgy but hope to hear it over the weekend! - tower records didn't have it here but good old tommy tighe (sound cellar) has never let me down yet! - €18

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:58 am 

One week until the physical CD hits
stores here ~ Ive been weaned on the mp3 and have acute sense of hearing, so the difference will be something like going from a 1970 Panasonic National transistor radio to a Bose WaveForm!

All very well and good; sad at the same time as I dont imagine the band have plans for North America. I don't blame Dave and Kris for this as some have on social media because I realise it's nearly impossible for any band to make money on tour these days what with cost of everything.

I really hope there are plans for a DVD from the ITW tour, even if its not an ultra-high grade production, as it were. Now is the time for Hawkwind to really shine again ~ the songwriting on the last few lps and Dave's recent solo work has been some of his best in the last 30 years, IMHO, and the best of their live performances should be preserved in the name of modern art. You take all of the great visual artists of the last two-hundred years, everyone from J.M.W.Turner to Salvador Dali, and Hawkwind are the sonic equal of any.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:52 pm 

I see Into the woods made it to 34 in the album charts and like The Machine Stops only stayed in the top 100 for a week.

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/al ... 0512/7502/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Test category 1 » Albums + DVD\'s Videos etc