Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Into the Woods
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:59 pm 

thanks for posting the waveform Steam - purely from a scientific point of view it look's like an aberration alright

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:39 pm 

I missed vegan lunch previous and as Dave was just educating/scolding us this AM with my back door open, I had to check if he might be wrong about the beautiful day.

He was, in fact, not.....

LOVE the punchy 1-2-3 chop time signature

WHERE's ME BLOODY HAWKWIND COOKBOOK

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:42 pm 

Ya think this might somehow be the culprit/"guilty" party?

Just a thought- Likely inspired by the concept that back in my day these were called "CDr Acetates"

(I looked at this because of the previous person here who mentioned it)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HAWKWIND-INTO-T ... 2375757975

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:38 pm 

My meagre knowledge of such things suggests that it is just some digital 'glitching' caused when copying digital files - likely caused by some form of power spike (inside the computer probably). The masters could well have been delivered via the web in this day and age so who knows how far back in the production chain it occurred? Could have been anywhere between the band and the record company. Being as the glitches are on both the CD and downloads it seems reasonable to assume it's not a manufacturing problem.

It's worth noting that things like this are what would traditionally have been caught in the old-fashioned 'mastering' process - literally, producing a 'master' copy from which copies could be mass produced.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:18 pm 

I have those clicks on both the amazon autorip and my CD.

I thought it was supposed to be the sound of wood burning...:D

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:29 pm 

Uncle Meat wrote:I have those clicks on both the amazon autorip and my CD.

I thought it was supposed to be the sound of wood burning...:D

Seriously, it probably IS

ps- going down to bed for a spell, all clear of my flatulence

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:39 pm 

Item No:

No relation, apart from it fits the thread title.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:50 pm 

Click Track !!

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:55 pm 

yep ... made by the sound of my wallet snapping shut

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:40 pm 

Glad it is not just me that can hear the clicks then.

Gave the album a proper 'head phones' listen today. Not impressed so far. None of the tracks have that "I want to hear that one again." If it was not Hawkwind I probably would not have lasted the whole album.

Mix sounds 'muddy' to my ears and there appears to be too much going on and not enough seperation of the various instruments. Richard's drums and Haz's bass seem to be too high up in the mix.

"Space Ship Blues" is the stand out track at the moment as it is so awful. Re-cycled lyrics (yet again) sadly. "Magic Mushroom" showed some promise up until the five minute mark then just seems to descend into a mess. Half expect to hear some sax honking and wailing over the top of it all.

After the brilliance of "The Machine Stops" I was really hoping this would be more of the same excellent stuff. Just not doing it for me though, although it seems I am in the minoirty.

I'll give it a few more trys to see if it will improve but at the moment I doubt it'll be played much after the Roundhouse show.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:41 pm 

I'm actually enjoying it tremendously. Taken as work on its own merits, apart from any other Hawkwind albums, I think it is quite an excellent record.
With regard to the production, mixing, etcetera - it seems to me Hawkwind, likely for financial reasons, has determinedly created a terrific garage-band album.  Im not going to hold it up against Levitation; I imagine the cost of such a production probably isn't realistic for a band like Hawkwind in these times - though I predict ITW is destined to become a very memorable and sought-after album over time !

Im already into obsessive repeat listens !
:-)

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:50 pm 

vikmarlo wrote:
Im already into obsessive repeat listens !
:-)

As am I. :D

I'm fascinated by the interplay between Richard, Haz and Dave (two Daves sometimes!) - I think Dave has deliberately mixed Haz as 'lead' instrument. And he deserves it, great bass playing.

I think it has a very definite 'character' that is quite old-school and laid-back (Dave is in his 70s) - more 'psychedelic' than 'rock' these days, maybe? I can see how, if you're drawn towards the Bronze/RCA style rock energy this album might not excite so much.

I'm beginning to feel it's a real rough diamond. Maybe it's a 'grower' kind of album?

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:05 pm 

yes .. on first listen i thought the album was dreadful tbh ..
however i have re ordered the tracks for my ipod and managed to de click the worst clicks from deep cavern ..
and got rid of that bloody awful space ship blues (by far the worst track i have ever heard from the hawks .. hillbilly square dance ??)
so, given the rejigging it flows much better and i have played it twice today and yes there is somewhat of a continuation from the machine stops as noted in the release notes
"Part of this album is a continuation of the story begun in The Machine Stops...
Living above the ground and into the woods..."

my track list is now
track 1 - 2 - 3 - 7 - 5 - 11 - 12 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 4 - 13

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:20 am 

I've only listened to it through once, having heard the opening track and Have You Seen Them already multiple times before the full release. I'm quite impressed by it overall, perhaps more so than the last album.

Ideally it would be nice for us to return to the days where a major record label can stump up the cash for it to be professionally produced, but I think that may be unrealistic expectations for what is now a cottage industry. After all, Hawkwind have always been a bit DIY and lo-fi have a go. I've got less of a problem with this one on first listen than I did with The Machine Stops.

Bizarrely the tracks I have trouble with this time around are the spoken word ones. I can't make out half of what Dave and Dibs are trying to say. Generally I liked the prominence of the bass, in particular it added a lovely warmth to Ascent. I read somewhere somebody complaining that is a recycled track, but I don't think it is. They did play it live on the Machine Stops tour but other than that isn't it new? It's come out better than I thought it would.

I actually thought Spaceship Blues was a standout track, but then I don't mind a bit of New Riders of the Purple Sage every now and then. Yes the lyrics are recycled from Nuclear Drive, but to me it's making fun of the fact that a lot of alien abduction claims seem to come from Hillbillies.

Wood Nymph was another surprisingly strong track for me, I really liked that one. I'd say on first listen Vegan Lunch should have ended up on one of Dave's solo albums, but then Horizon off his last solo effort really should have been a strong Hawkwind track.

The final track Magic Mushroom is a bit of a surprise too, it starts out a bit Deep Purplish with the organ playing and then it seems to turn into a jam based on Douglas In The Jungle. If that gets played live I'm hoping for some Chimpanzees on their knees.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:59 am 

It would be nice if someone from the bands management could advise on this issue concerning all the clicks on deep caverns

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Test category 1 » Albums + DVD\'s Videos etc