Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post subject: Into The Wood Tour....
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:32 pm 

Birminham tonight ay....
I've been checking this forum for News / Reviews from the first 4 Gigs??

I was at Leeds (not keen on that venue)...I made it to Hawkeaster & loved all the Hawkwind sets, being a northener most of the shows on this tour are miles away, but I'm hoping to get to Buxton next week.........

Any news?
Any different songs breaking out?
How's Dave's wrist, is he on the geetar?
Are there still tour shirts left? XL?

Post subject: Re: Into The Wood Tour....
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:02 pm 

Is anyone going to be video and audio recording any of the ITW gigs in HD ? presumeably this would be done with the Captain's blessing and benefit; we could all have a brilliant document of this late-era renaissance! It would mean the absolute most to us fans here in North America

( probably a pipe dream)

just thought I'd throw the idea out there in case Dave had no official plan to document anything from the shows, at least the possibility could exist for arranging something for a release on DVD.

"...shuttlecraft to Mothership...
...do you read ...
?

...Starbase Britannia.... come in
...does anyone copy
... ?"

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:29 am 

Location: Kent, UK, in an unfashionable spiral arm of the galaxy
Saw the huys in Folkestone last night. Always a favourite venue. The crowd size was a bit underwhelming (still 200+ but I've seen the place packed to the rafters before. But it was a school night and VERY wet) but made up for it with enthusiasm and dancing.

The 30 minute acoustic set - plugged in because of the venue size but still not highly amplified - was excellent and the crown loved it, especially the jokes and banter between songs. It adds a lovely dimension to the band's live set.

The electric set? Pure magic. It was a blend of songs from ITW and TMS and old favourites and went down a storm. Haz and Dave riff off each other which really is something else. The rest of the band do sterling work and star in their own right. Dibs vox range fills out the sound, Magnus' keys and support guitar give it depth and Rich is ... just Rich. Reliable and perfect for the HW sound. As a bonus Michael Sosna (who played sax on the Warrior tour) has joined them and it's marvellous to have such a talented and versatile musician on the tour.

The sound has depth - depth of audio and of talent. It's well-rehearsed, there's space to jam, there's a few slow moments but lots to dance around to - what's not to love? I'm of the opinion that the band's performances this year (and, indeed, the last couple) are as good as I've ever seen them, and that's high praise indeed.

If you haven't seen them already, treat yourself and get a ticket. You won't be disappointed.

I must be normal........

I must be normal........

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:45 pm 

thanks for the update Jimsk! - sound's like it was a blast!

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:39 pm 

Thanks for the review Jimski, sounds ripe for a live CD release with both sets!
Into The Woods CD is growing on me after a few plays :mrgreen:

I've a ticket for Buxton next week, nearest venue to me on this tour. It's a nice looking venue but all seated, got a spot where I should get the full visual experience!!

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:40 pm 

I used to love going to gigs at Leas Cliff Hall when I was at UKC (and after I'd dropped out) - Choose Your Masques, Earth Ritual, the first time I saw Simon House in the band (and Dave soloing on Golden Void), ... good memories.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:48 pm 

any chance of a setlist? going to buxton next week and would love to know what to expect, jp

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:53 pm 

Location: Kent, UK, in an unfashionable spiral arm of the galaxy
Love the Leas Cliff, seen a few bands there. Someone said HW have played there 14 times since 78 and I reckon I've been to 8 or 10. Hadn't been there for a while - I remember getting to hot bopping to Quo that I ended up shirtless. I'm sure I've been there since but I'm damned if I can remember what for.

* Spoiler below *

Setlist? I don't know if it's the same every night but expect Hassan, Steppenwolf, Assault and Battery/Golden Void, Steppenwolf, Born to Go then a couple of the rockier tracks from the last two (Vegan Lunch, etc.) and a couple of spoken pieces. It's a solid, varied rock set. Can't wait for the Roundhouse.....

I must be normal........

I must be normal........

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:26 pm 

Dorking last night was out of this world. Seen the band since 74 and last night was really something else. The accoustic set is brilliant and the band should really think about putting together an album for the fans.

The main set was inceadible with great mix of old and new. Spoke to Haz prior to the gig and he said that they were playing a couple of different songs last night. May well be changing the set as they go along to keep it fresh.

The sound was great and some of the interaction between Haz and Dave is brilliant and Dave's guitar playing was the best in years. I am not a great lover of Steppenwolf but his playing took it to a new level.

I will not go over the set list for people who do not want to know but Magnus does a sensational version of Darkland.

All in all well worth the journey down from Scotland and early rise to get back home. Hard to believe the great man is 77 the way he was playing and covering the stage.

Long live the Hawks.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:14 pm 

Totally agree Moonglum - this has to be the best incarnation of the band since the mid 70s - Earth calling/Born to Go, closed my eyes and thought it was 75 all over again.

The unplugged set was absolutely superb and not to be missed. I won't spoil either but no one will be disappointed by the renditions of old favourites - I hope there is a CD of this?

As others have said the chemistry between Haz and Dave is remarkable and for me no one since Lemmy comes close to the way they feed off each other intuitively.

Mixed feelings about the Roundhouse next week - to my surprise I was the first in last night so held my space right in the middle of the front of the stage all night :) won't be able to repeat that next Friday! And also much as I am looking forward to Bastard Sons, I would love to see the acoustic set again. Gonna try and change the work schedule so I can get to Bristol next Wednesday.

I made the total playing time a little over two and a half hours - what's not to like!

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:18 pm 

This was in the foyer at Dorking - bit of an Omen I thought...

Attachments:
Hawkwind Dorking May17 040.jpg
Hawkwind Dorking May17 040.jpg [ 2.98 MiB | Viewed 1000 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:45 pm 

Got Dorked

https://youtu.be/QtJ6KGNlONY

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:12 pm 

One word - OUTSTANDING !

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:22 pm 

HWAC...The Ascent. For all who can't get to see the acoustic. A shaky cam production. Onwards to the Roundhouse. Word on the street is get there early !!!!!!!!!!

https://youtu.be/GiYgJPO0VZY

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:50 pm 

indeed! - thanks to Mpc and Steam for all of your kindly guidance - most of me own route is now organised/printed out - look's like it's a runner!! - london beware!

Board index » Test category 1 » Tours Past & Present