Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Into The Wood Tour....
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:54 am 

massive shake of the hand to Phil and co. - (possibly my last one - hawkwind wise) - don't travel well - the end of an era! - wonderful live hawk journey since 1980 in dublin - (what a gig!) but c'est la vie! - gatwick is near - thank's Mpc for your guidance - what a wonderful weekend i had! - my love to all

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:31 am 

Pedal Bin wrote:And what was the point of the magic tricks halfway through?

I wasn't keen on the magic tricks especially as the venue was too big for most people to see them properly but at the end of the day it was just a bit of fun during Darkland so why not?

Pedal Bin did you not enjoy the rest of the gig (and if not can you pinpoint why because I thought it was fantastic)?

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:16 pm 

I think the Magician was Paul Xenon, so a bit of nostalgia ?? Made an appearence at the Worthing gig, I had no idea who he was, assumed it was a local chap getting a break on stage, when I found out the 80's connection my reaction was blimey he's aged well, thats good bit of magic. Think I remember a magician on the 79 tour, might have been him ??
I like that sort of thing, although it does work better at a smaller venue, or if your right up front.

Attachments:
paul xenon-Edit.jpg
paul xenon-Edit.jpg [ 217.79 KiB | Viewed 923 times ]

Last edited by Mpc on Sun May 28, 2017 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:29 pm 

Still recovering. :lol:

I ended up a bit rushed getting to the venue - my planned 7.30 became well past 8.30 by the time I arrived. Just behind a couple in the queue to be 'frisked' on the way in so no delay but security like that always puts my mood on edge. The strangest thing is I was drinking from a bottle of water when I arrived - they allowed me to take it inside (I've had water 'confiscated' going into gigs in the past) but I had to hand over the bottle top! Apparently, to stop me 'throwing a full bottle' at the stage. I told the security guy I had no intention of throwing it!

I walked in to what I thought was the last few numbers of the acoustic set but, reading above, it seems I actually arrived just as they started. If I remember, Ascent of Man was the first I heard - and very good it was too. I stayed next to the desk for the rest of the gig.

Despite starting off annoyed at the security (no specific problem with the venue, just the general state of the world) I settled in and enjoyed the gig - I couldn't face working my way up through the crowd (a good sized turnout) to get closer and the sound was 'ok' by the mixing desk. I still have issues with what constitutes a 'live mix' these days - I don't want to criticise the sound guys (who obviously have some knowledge of how to do the job) but I do question what they're listening to as reference these days. All in all, as I get older I am less and less interested in seeing 'rock' bands in larger venues - I found myself wishing I could see the band at Leas Cliff Hall in Folkestone again (or similar smallish venue).

The band were good though. Haz has taken on the focus front and centre with his energetic bass playing driving everything on - it really is reminiscent of the old seventies sound but with 21st century synths. No dancers this time - I think in a larger venue like this they would have really added to the show - just a touch of magic during Darkland (which was odd in isolation). This seems to be a stripped-back rockier version of the band which is ideal for smaller venues.

A good night. See them outside London, I'd say. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:57 pm 

WoW. from watching that BTG clip of 'Fractalien's it sounds tremendous & I would've loved to have attended.
Hawkwind power at the Roundhouse & they have their Mojo back working on all cylinders.
I don't claim to be a sound engineer. Though would of thought the sheer design of the Roundhouse would have had a positive effect on the dynamics of sound.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:17 pm 

back to basecamp - in bed watching the film 'heat' - what a Hawkwind weekend for me! - the gig exceeded me expectations - sore knee's and spine are a small price to pay for the adventure! - work beckon's early tomorrow - i'll give me analysis of the gig sometime tomorrow evening (for what it's worth!) - nice to be home all the same!

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:38 am 

For me the acoustic numbers at the start was the best live music I can remember. Dave Brocks vocals were brilliant and the instruments blended really well. For the main set, maybe it's me going deaf but the sound seemed muffled to me - bass was really high but nothing at the mid to top end - maybe a connector issue or something the mixer guys had no control over. Seems to me Haz and Magnus have integrated really well - with Richard best group of musicians since the 3 piece of the early 90's - the gig in Liverpool around 95 is one I remember (Richard, Alan Dave and Dave Brock)

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:20 am 

smugdruggler wrote:WoW. from watching that BTG clip of 'Fractalien's it sounds tremendous & I would've loved to have attended.

I don't claim to be a sound engineer. Though would of thought the sheer design of the Roundhouse would have had a positive effect on the dynamics of sound.

Little annecdotal story incoming, reference dome shaped music venues. Few years back I went to see "The Cult" play a gig at the Royal Albert Halls, a dome building. As far as I was aware this venue was famed for its accoustic excellence. I told my mate where I was off to and my expectations of excellent sound quality and got well and truly corrected. This guy knew the theory and had written the academic part of his college, "sound" based course on how awful the Royal Albert Hall actually is, hence all the 'mushrooms' on the ceiling. ??
The Hawkwind link being in this small world, one of my mates tutors on his sound course was Nial Hone, and the first person I saw at at Albert Halls was Tim Blake, there to support the opening band who were from France. Random but linked world.

http://www.royalalberthall.com/about-the-hall/our-history/explore-our-history/building/acoustic-diffusers-mushrooms/

There's another dome venue in my home town, imaginatively called, "The Dome" and they have installed "accoustic Panels" which by some means can be tweaked depending on need. Maybe domes arn't the best ?? Don't think a sphere would be too practical !!

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:08 pm 

indeed and agree with Electro! - the acoustic set was fantastic! - to see/hear Dave play acoustic guitar was a dream come true! - i enjoyed the main set - was about 5 rows from the front for most of it but had to retire to the sound desk area near the end - sore knee's - i thought the sound was good to my ears - Dave was real heavy in the mix - his guitar playing was incredibly good - both lead and rhythm - particularly rhythm! - all the band were cool - Haz done a great job and the whole thing really jelled i felt - Steppenwolf was extremely heavy! - not a critisism - would have liked more synth - maybe i couldn't hear it where i was! - also thought that the light show wasn't as good as some that i have seen - all in all a class gig/weekend! - thank you to all and hope the hawk trip continues - now i gotta hang me liver out to dry for a few day's!

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:31 pm 

Mpc wrote:
smugdruggler wrote:WoW. from watching that BTG clip of 'Fractalien's it sounds tremendous & I would've loved to have attended.

Little annecdotal story incoming, reference dome shaped music venues. Few years back I went to see "The Cult" play a gig at the Royal Albert Halls, a dome building. As far as I was aware this venue was famed for its accoustic excellence. I told my mate where I was off to and my expectations of excellent sound quality and got well and truly corrected. This guy knew the theory and had written the academic part of his college, "sound" based course on how awful the Royal Albert Hall actually is, hence all the 'mushrooms' on the ceiling. ??
The Hawkwind link being in this small world, one of my mates tutors on his sound course was Nial Hone, and the first person I saw at at Albert Halls was Tim Blake, there to support the opening band who were from France. Random but linked world.

http://www.royalalberthall.com/about-the-hall/our-history/explore-our-history/building/acoustic-diffusers-mushrooms/

There's another dome venue in my home town, imaginatively called, "The Dome" and they have installed "accoustic Panels" which by some means can be tweaked depending on need. Maybe domes arn't the best ?? Don't think a sphere would be too practical !!

I once played a gig in the 'Redoubt Fortress' in Eastbourne - a circular, open-topped Napoleonic fort - and it was the worst stage sound I've ever experienced. The stage was set up backed up to one of the circular walls and we were getting all sorts of slap-back echoes and confusion. Our drummer said he could hear his drum beat coming back at him about a second later - we were playing by telepathy on that gig! :)

A lot of large old venues, even those with 'good' acoustics, are designed to project or propagate the sound to the back - quite good if you're listening to a solo singer or string quartet but a mass of conflicting echoes with loud, bassy, rhythmic music.

Brown Dawn - it sounds like we weren't far apart (by the desk) towards the end!

I could swear I saw an old friend (who I've not seen for a few years) picked out by red light in the crowd at one point - I couldn't find any sign of him at the end though. :(

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:41 pm 

eastbourne got a mention in faulty towers by the major if memory serves! - so absolution is on the way! - nó offence meant - stonehenge decoded soundwise might need to be re-visited! - i thought the sound was fine - indeed we were probably ship's passing in the night Steam - i was on the right hand side of the sound desk area facing the stage for the last 20 minutes - another time hopefully! - and to cope it all - i tasted marmite for the first and last time in me hotel in honour of HGT - had to drink a lot of h20 after it - the weekend becomes a blur - as it should be!

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:19 pm 

Haha, BD, we were probably standing next to each other! I do remember moving aside a few times towards the end to let several hot and sweaty guys by. I was stood next to the video camera* by the end.

* Yep, you read that right all those hoping and waiting in far off lands.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:51 pm 

There were some mics rigged above the corner speaker stacks at the Roundhouse pointed at the crowd, I assumed to pick up ambient from the crowd for live recording ??

In the mean time here's something from Dorking less focused !

https://youtu.be/-gl_hBLUqx8

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:15 pm 

Dorking Woods

https://youtu.be/o34wns-sBEo

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:24 pm 

hope to God i'm not on a potential dvd! - me dancing/air guitar skill's are pretty much in the jurassic period! - any word on the jersey gig?! - still knackered - me conert stub is now in with me collection - great gig!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Test category 1 » Tours Past & Present