Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post subject: Re: Ian Abrahams Sonic Assassins - updated edition
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:44 pm 

Hi Daipunk
About how many pages of new stuff do you reckon?
Cheers
Quarky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:32 pm 

Highscores: 5
Quarkman wrote:Hi Daipunk
About how many pages of new stuff do you reckon?
Cheers
Quarky

Hi QM :D sorry can't tell you, I've just started the 1st of a pair of recent biography purchases that I want to read together, so my good lady wife has got first look at it, and I'm not sure where she's put it!
:mrgreen:

ALCOHOL
J Strummer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:43 am 

It's not as easy as answering how many new pages to be honest, because there's a chunk of appendices from the original that has gone (some of which is subsumed into the main text, and all of which is making its way to the SonicAssassins.book blog), then its been rewritten, corrected, and expanded with new information and then its been updated. All I can really say is, initial feedback is that it's a much better book! :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:47 am 

I just ordered my copy from Barnes & Noble online. Those of us in the States, use the coupon code BNPRES for 20% off through Monday 2/20 (worth $4.00 or the cost of shipping if you're not getting anything else with it).

Thanks Ian!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:43 am 

lordofthehornets wrote:I just ordered my copy from Barnes & Noble online. Those of us in the States, use the coupon code BNPRES for 20% off through Monday 2/20 (worth $4.00 or the cost of shipping if you're not getting anything else with it).

Thanks Ian!!!!!

Thanks... hope you enjoy the read!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:49 pm 

Well the wife took too long starting it..... I am now about halfway (I had to stop when I read the chapter title, I need to be prepared for the next few pages)

So far so good, a really clever reworking of a classic band biog. Nice one Mr A. Very happy with it

ALCOHOL
J Strummer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:44 pm 

DaiPunk wrote:Well the wife took too long starting it..... I am now about halfway (I had to stop when I read the chapter title, I need to be prepared for the next few pages)

So far so good, a really clever reworking of a classic band biog. Nice one Mr A. Very happy with it

Thanks! :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:57 pm 

I have to add to DaiPunk. Anyone who is still on the fence about getting this (whether or not you also have the original version) - get it! It's very well written and insightful. I found myself on Friday night with a bag of pretzels and a lemonade, suddenly about halfway through the book, had a few hours' sleep and back at it this morning; just had to take a break and post this. All while having a (chronological) listen to the back catalog, from Parallel Universe, through the Weird Tapes, and now about up to the deluxe versions of Quark and 25 Years On.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:34 am 

OK, finished it in w*rk on Saturday.
Yep, agree lordofthehonets, even if you have the 1st, this is almost a different book, the same but better, what you expected but more...
I hope you get what I mean
Thank you Ian Abrahams, I hope you get to do another update when needed :)

ALCOHOL
J Strummer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:28 pm 

Book arrived this morning - looking forward to reading the updated version. Happy to see that a couple of photos that I sent to Ian are still featured in the book. Something to show the grandchildren when they are older.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:21 am 

It is a good read, start to finish.

The details of the game...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:30 pm 

I plan to give this a good as soon as possible, I decided first to finally get round to reading Festivalized. Very enjoyable it is, though it has made me realise there's a Here and Now shaped gap in my record collection. It seems their stuff is almost entirely unavailable these days though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:33 pm 

Dell1972 wrote:I plan to give this a good as soon as possible, I decided first to finally get round to reading Festivalized. Very enjoyable it is, though it has made me realise there's a Here and Now shaped gap in my record collection. It seems their stuff is almost entirely unavailable these days though.

Yes I've had the same experience with getting Here & Now stuff. They have a couple things available on iTunes and one or two of their CDs are still available.

I got most of their CD's when available from the Planet Gong dot UK site but many are now sold out.

They used to have a web shop but it appears to be shut down now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:42 pm 

Check out this site for a free Here and Now download of the Norwich Peaceful Green Fair.
http://www.nr23.net/alternative/free_festy/pgf.htm
Also great sets from Karma kanix and Ground Zero.
They are on twitter so give em a shout https://twitter.com/here_om_now

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:13 pm 

Cheers for the recommendations! From what I can determine, planet gong's is still a going concern btw. Sorry to anyone else for subverting the thread.

Festivalized is a bit like a kind of long continuous talking heads style verbal account of about 25 years of festivals. Shame Dave didn't contribute, but it does have plenty of contributions from Richard, not to mention Jerry Richards, Steve Bemand and Nik Turner (and inevitably Bridgett), and Hawkwind gets mentioned a fair bit throughout.

My view of it all at the time was through the papers and the news, on account of not leaving school until 1990 and the festivals mostly being down south. It's good to read first hand accounts.

Board index » Test category 1 » Hawkwind Chat