Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Huw Lloyd Langton RIP
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:56 pm 

I've just seen the sad news about Huw. Loved his playing since I saw Hawkwind back in 79. He was a real gent who always had time to share a drink and have a chat, he will be sorely missed. Best wishes to Marrion who was always there to support him.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:33 pm 

And still they come, more mesages recieved -

Mark Bennett - I heard that Huw died this weekend, a great loss of a master musician.

Huw - thanks for the music.

my thoughts go to his family.

David Jones - Extremely saddened at the news of Huw`s passing. Best wishes to his family.

Victor Bristoll - I just wanted to express my sadness at the passing of Huw and to offer
my condolences to Marion, Kirsty and all the Hawkwind family.

I fist saw Huw play live with Hawkwind in 1979 at Hammersmith Odeon and
felt privileged to witness the playing of a brilliant guitarist. His
work, especially on the Levitation album, was incredible and beautiful.

God bless you Huw and thank you.

David Hannaford - Just an email from Oz to send my condolences on the passing of Huw. Great musician and seemed like a great bloke. I'm sure I send my wishes to Marion and family and the broader Hawkwind community on behalf of all Australian fans.

RIP Huw, gone but never forgotten.

Julian Crimmins (Crum) - Just prior to recording 'Agents of Chaos' with Dave Brock, Dave invited me to Rockfield studios
in Wales where the band were recording and rehearsing the 'Blacksword' album. In the evening
Huw and i went for a few pints of real ale at a local pub,he was so funny, charming and a
thoroughly nice gentleman. A superb musician, he will be sorely missed.Regards to his family.

David Cook - Huw great man R.I.P

John Mac Elhone - "The French fans are with you by the thought,
never they will forget Rocky Paths Navigator".

John Smale - Dear Marion, Kirsty and all at Hawkwind HQ.

It was with great sadness that we learned of Huw's passing.
I am unable to speak as someone that knew him, only as one that admired him as a musician.
I will always remember the stunning performance of what was referred to as 'The Broken Bits Band' at the first Hawkfest with Huw playing with what I understand was a fractured wrist - or was it two and Martin playing drums with a broken leg! They we're stunning too.
He will be missed but never forgotten.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:55 pm 

I would have first seen Huw play on the Sonic Attack at Peterborough in 1981. But he didn't play as he had a broken nose; so I had to wait until the UK Electronica appearence and the CYM tour. Since then, I have seen him play many times, from HW gigs and at Hawkfests and with LLG during the 80s (Retford, where I had the great fortune to find him in my local pub prior to the gig, and Nottingham) and on many other occassions too, including the SRS at Oxford where he played a wonderful rendition of "tears of a clown" for Anita on Si's guitar; at all of which he was the perfect gent; epitomising what a true musicain should be like; indeed, we probably took up too much of his time but he never seemed anxious for us to depart...
Yet this says nought of his great musical talent that ranges from the incredible lead playing on sections of the Levitation and Sonic Attack albums through to the ever more intricate acoustic passages - all wonderfully memorable. So often, when folk suggest that a particular guitarist is talented, I compare them with Huw - a visual memory of so many gigs - stood near the front of the stage, chatting to a fan whilst smoking a ciggie - and playing one of his hallmark, intricate passages - a passage that would normally involve said pretender pulling such a stance as to suggest that injury was imminent...

Huw - light up the skies with your wondeful guitar. Many, many thanks for enriching my enjoyment of music and so much else.

Rest now a while.

Tears of a clown indeed...

http://www.myspace.com/arab_neil
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mychoonz/collections/
http://www.mychoonz.co.uk/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:24 pm 

I am very sorry to read the news about Huw Lloyd Langton....just discovered it on Hawkwind.com.
I loved his guitarplaying and believe he has contributed to some of Hawkwind's best records. His way of playing is quite unique, no one else have had that touch or feel to Hawks spacerock. It is time to bring out all his solo-work and some Hawk classics and pay my respect.
My love to the family and everybody close to the great Huw Lloyd Langton.

PwJay, Norway.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:03 pm 

so sadly missed,but never ever forgotten...an inspiration to us all...his music,his guitar,as a person.a really nice bloke...rip our second in command onboard the spaceship hawkwind...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:27 pm 

I give thanks for an artist who's music touched my life and still lights my world .

My condolences to his family and friends .

Dave .

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:10 pm 

I am very sad to hear of Huws passing today. I first saw the hawks at hammy Odeon touring levitation and as others have stated became a huge fan of his playing. I still play the early 80's on a regular basis and get much pleasure from listening. My heartfelt feelings and thoughts to his family and friends. Legend. :-)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:11 am 

News travels slow if you don't go on line much...such a shame...rip Huw

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:23 pm 

Following the sad news of Huw’s departure, that I have only this morning become aware of – please kindly accept my own memory of and tribute to Huw to add to the hundreds that have been already written.

I was in my early 20’s when I first met Huw at Stonehenge free festival. As I guess was the case with many experimental youngsters in that scene, I was trying to make sense of the spiritual dimensions of my life, a pre-occupation for sure of most that indulged in hallucinogens within the then travelling community. Despite his status and fame and the entourage that surrounded him, Huw spent literally hours with me talking about his experiences, listening to mine and helping me make sense of them. Following that festival, Huw invited me to link up at several gigs over the following years during which I shared many other great meetings with Huw that reinforced my respect in him as a person and an artist. In the late 80’s I drifted out of the community but met him again in 2007 at Hawkfest 20 years older!

As I am sure is the case with all who’s paths crossed with Huw, the meeting had an impact on me that I will never forget and has influenced who I am now. I shall hence remember Huw as one of the most compassionate, open, humble and phenomenally talented individuals I have been lucky enough to meet.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:19 am 

It is difficult coming to terms with Huw's death. He has been part of my memory of music for long years. I never had the pleasure of meeting him but have seen him play with HW and own his quite a few times. I have playing through his records-- Hard Graft is very poignant. Listening to him It is hard to believe that he not still here but his memory will live on in his music.

Jonathan Smith

The details of the game...

Last edited by Lost Johnny on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:25 am 

And still they come -

Paul Gooda - Farewell Huw, I will never forget you

Gray Louch - RESPECT. R.I.P

Steve Payne - Very sorry to learn of Huw's passing - a unique talent & a great guy, always having time to chat.
He has left a fine musical legacy for us to enjoy.
Thoughts are very much with Marion & his family.

Walk not the earth, but fly through space.

John Easby

To Marion, Huw’s family and the Hawkwind family in general…

It’s taken me a few days to get round to this because I’ve felt too weird to write to be honest. Having lost loved ones myself over the last few years, I believe I can understand some of the pain and confusion you are going through. Whilst I need to pass on sincere condolences to all concerned, I know that the memories of Huw as a person, his genuine kindness and sense of humour and of course his unique playing style will sustain a lot of people for many years to come.

Although I first saw Hawkwind in 1977 with Bob Calvert, my first live experience of Huw was on the Hawkwind ‘Live 79’ Tour (at Bridlington Spa) and following his return to the fold, there was an instant freshness to the ‘guitar edge’ of the band which I’ll never forget. Much of the Levitation album was aired on this tour and when the album actually came out I remember thinking how advanced and in touch it sounded for the day. Dave and Huw just seemed to gel instantly.

Well after that I saw many more Hawks gigs over the years with and without Huw, but I think the peak with Huw might have been at Reading Festival headline gig in ’86 which was mesmerising. Around this time ‘Wastlelands of Sleep’ was one of my favourite numbers which seems strangely ironic now. I also attended many of Huw’s solo gigs with LLG in and around Scarborough where I live and over in Leeds/Bradford, some just acoustic. Huw was always willing to talk, have a pint and catch up – in fact I remember one time he almost missed the start of the first number with the Hawks at Leeds University because he was so busy chatting and having a drink with us. He always drew a laugh and I have special memories.

Finally, Huw has influenced me so much in my guitar playing – at 53 though, I don’t think I’ll ever make it – I can hear him laughing now!

God bless you Huw – until the next time.

Jill Strobridge - Your playing brought light into my life. Now only the afterglow is left and beautiful though it is I wish you were still part of it. Jill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:18 pm 

Location: Earth City, Southampton, England. On Outskirts, Galaxy 9
I have only just found out about Huw's death. This is really sad news and I would love to pass on my deep respects to his family and friends at this very sad time. A track I always like to play is Lost Chronicles. This is due to Huw's beautiful lead guitar work on it. Now that he is gone this track will be a very special one for me. R.I.P Huw.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:19 pm 

Just wanted to echo what everyone else has said, a great loss, when i heard i reached for my copy of live chronicles like so many others.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:26 pm 

I'm sorry that I cannot attend Huw's funeral today but wish to send to Marion and family and the extended Hawkwind family my heartfelt sympathies.

Fly free Huw.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:26 pm 

Location: Kent, UK, in an unfashionable spiral arm of the galaxy
Like so many, I was deeply shocked by Huw's passing and considered going to his funeral, but a chest infection put paid to any plan of driving down to that solemn occasion so in lieu of being able to share my grief and my support in person I’d just like to post a few thoughts here.

First and foremost, my thoughts are with Marion, Kirsty and the family, as well as Huw's freinds. The loss of such a soul must cause such hurt and such a large void, and I hope that you are consoled slightly by the immense and positive outpouring of sentiments over the past few days. Wherever he went, Huw seemed to leave a positive imprint and warm and happy memories from all who were touched by him. Personally, I only met him a few times, but each time I was greeted by a welcoming smile, and quiet, friendly conversation. He was a thoroughly nice chap and I liked him a lot.

But although I wasn’t lucky enough to count myself amongst his friends, his influence on my life was immeasurable. There have been many debates as to which version of Hawkwind was the ‘best’ – well, Huw’s tenure as lead guitarist from 1979 was the era of my Hawkwind, the era when I saw them innumerable times and they made such a huge and permanent impact on my life. The first time I saw the band was the Sonic Attack tour (almost 31 years to the day), right at the front at the Rainbow, and his guitar work was outstanding. Even waiting to go into the auditorium I could hear the band soundchecking to ‘Motorway City’ and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up.

Amongst the most significant of these performances were the Stonehenge Summer Solstice Festivals that I attended as a youth. Those of us who managed to see the band there count ourselves lucky, and share a bond and often a certain way of life. Many of us only went down there because of Huw and Hawkwind, and those performances still stand out in our memories. Like many fans, Huw and the band were inspirations for a lifestyle that has lasted since, and for which I am eternally grateful.

It is somewhat ironic then that Huw’s funeral is being held on the cusp of the Winter Solstice – the shortest and darkest day of the year – because in so many ways he epitomised balmy summer evenings. But it is also quite fitting that this sad event is happening at this time, because the Winter Solstice is celebrated as a time of renewal, a time when the darkness passes and life begins anew.

Goodbye then Huw. You were a great musician, a warm human being and a hero. Although you’re not here, you’re not gone because you’re still here in so many good memories. RIP.

I must be normal........

I must be normal........

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Board index » Test category 1 » Huw Lloyd Langton