Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post subject: Re: hi all
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:29 pm 

Happy birthday - if you get a chance to post up that recipe i'd give it a go - i like 'hot rats' but not fried!

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:36 pm 

Brown Dawn wrote:Happy birthday - if you get a chance to post up that recipe i'd give it a go - i like 'hot rats' but not fried!

mate if I knew how to cook it myself I'd be having it every day - my missus tried to make it over here herself a couple of years ago and it didn't come out right cos she couldn't source the proper ingredients - there's some elements that need to be fresh and the only place that's gonna happen is if you are in thailand itself

however one of her friends over here is a cracking Thai cook so I will ask her next time I see her and make some notes and post for you all anyway

cheers
TooManyxx

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:55 pm 

Brown Dawn wrote: if you get a chance to post up that recipe i'd give it a go - i like 'hot rats' but not fried!

here it is as promised - enjoy..

gai pat prik pao

First you need to make the chilli paste:

Ingredients are

* 5 dried spur chillies
* 8 roasted shallots
* 6 cloves roasted garlic
* 2 cup vegetable oil
* 1 tablespoon palm sugar
* 1.5 tablespoon tamarind juice
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 3 tablespoon fish sauce
* 1 teaspoon shrimp paste

(you may need to alter the quantities - for 2 people you need a enough for 2 heaped tablespoons of it)

Roast the dried chillies in a very hot (dry) wok
do the same with the garlic and shallots

Using a mortar and pestle mash the chillies and salt to a fine paste, add the shallots and garlic and continue to grind until you get a smooth paste then finally add in the shrimp paste and mix in

Transfer the mixture to a pan, saute in oil until fragrant. Season and taste with fish sauce, sugar and tamarind juice, stirring well

Then once you have the paste do this:

Ingredients

*some chicken (can be other things if you don't like chicken also works ok with clams or squid apparently)
* 1 teaspoon sugar
* 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 1/2 cup sweet basil leaves
* 2 tablespoons roasted chilli paste
* 4 fresh chillies, cut into long strips
* 2 teaspoons garlic, finely chopped
* 1 tablespoon fish sauce
* fresh peppercorns if you can get them

Heat oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Add garlic in the hot oil and fry until it becomes golden.
Add chicken and stir fry until it is cooked
Season with fish sauce, sugar, and roasted chilli paste.
Before you take it off the heat, sprinkle with sweet basil leaves, fresh peppercorns and red fresh chilli. Stir-fry for another 10 seconds. Transfer to a serving dish and serve with steamed rice.

note that if you've never heard of some of these ingredients you can get most of this stuff from the chinese supermarkets if you're lucky enough to have got one near where you stay..

cheers,

TooManyxx

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:27 am 

Welcome to the board, and thanks for the recipe. Gonna have to have a go at it.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:10 am 

Many thanks for posting the recipe shroomz - much appreciated - its nicely detailed - i've used most of the ingredients before and would be familiar with them but not quite in that combination (the roasting aspect looks interesting - i would imagine it really draws out the flavours) and haven't used tamarind for years. I will certainly be giving it a go and am looking forward to trying it - i might add 'to be washed down with lashings of cool cider! Many thanks again

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:05 pm 

Hi shrooms, Hello and thanks for posting this recipe.....Mrs Cornelius will enjoy cooking this...(i hope).....Should'nt be any bother sourcing ingredients as we have a great Chinese Market up here in sunny Dundee.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:25 pm 

Cornelius wrote:Hi shrooms, Hello and thanks for posting this recipe.....Mrs Cornelius will enjoy cooking this...(i hope).....Should'nt be any bother sourcing ingredients as we have a great Chinese Market up here in sunny Dundee.

Hi Cornelius

you're welcome for the recipe man - yeah we've got a few Chinese and Thai supermarkets in Edinburgh - they're a godsend as far as the missus goes

the Chinese ones are the cheapest though for everything

good to see someone else from Scotland on here - although I've only lived here 10 years or so - still continue to think of myself as a Manc cos that's where I grew up and I haven't lost the accent yet..

cheers
TooManyxx

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:14 pm 

toomanyshroomz wrote:
Cornelius wrote:Hi shrooms, Hello and thanks for posting this recipe.....Mrs Cornelius will enjoy cooking this...(i hope).....Should'nt be any bother sourcing ingredients as we have a great Chinese Market up here in sunny Dundee.

Hi Cornelius

you're welcome for the recipe man - yeah we've got a few Chinese and Thai supermarkets in Edinburgh - they're a godsend as far as the missus goes

the Chinese ones are the cheapest though for everything

good to see someone else from Scotland on here - although I've only lived here 10 years or so - still continue to think of myself as a Manc cos that's where I grew up and I haven't lost the accent yet..

cheers
TooManyxx

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:23 pm 

love the pic man - I'll mebbe bump into you somewhere - not sure I'll recognize you without the spliff though :)

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:02 pm 

Its a permaspliff its always there........ha...ha

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:39 pm 

:D See wot you mean about the sofa - Are you on couchsurfers by any chance?

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:09 pm 

Cornelius wrote:Its a permaspliff its always there........ha...ha

He He - in that case me and you would get on mighty fine man methinks..

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:13 pm 

:roll: What about the sofa?..... :idea: What are couchsurfers?......some new drug :shock: i aint heard of yet....Ha....Ha :lol:

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:35 pm 

toomanyshroomz wrote:
Cornelius wrote:Its a permaspliff its always there........ha...ha

He He - in that case me and you would get on mighty fine man methinks..

Next time Mrs Cornelius and I are going to Edinburgh will let you know, Maybe if your off work we can hook up for a pint. :mrgreen:

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:14 pm 

yes hullo!
great to see the band that isn't just a band, but a "living being", doing it's thing with it's magick tentacles :)

Report this post

Board index » Test category 1 » Newbie's