Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: ~ heedless actions ~
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:17 pm 

---> shifted from previous page :

‖‖‖‖‖‖‖‖‖‖‖‖‖‖‖‖‖‖‖‖‖‖‖‖‖‖‖‖‖‖‖

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/ ... m_medium=3

...as an arrant measure, it's hard not to conclude nuclear power as belonging at the top of the heap for this topic.

This just makes me sick, and to think of the tens if not hundreds of thousands of deaths this disaster will ultimately cause, I can't help but wonder, who is responsible for the murder of all those innocent people?
I mean, think about it ~ while it is nearly impossible to predict what the forces of nature will do exactly or when ~ it IS possible to know that nature is in fact un-predictable and therefore PLAN ahead for worst-case scenarios . . .

. . . some group of people made a decision to go ahead and build that power plant ~ shouldn't they have responsibility for what might occur as a result of their decision?

If people were held accountable for such things, might it not have an effect on the way decisions are made in such matters?

I wonder ~ there are 7 billion people on this planet : how many are actually making the decisions which determine the course of human history? I'd be interested in a percentage on that statistic ~ and to level the degree of responsibility for actions which cause human suffering ~ if an average person risks spending a decade of their life or more behind bars for accidentally causing ONE death, why is it there is no penalty for those who cause the deaths of tens of thousands?

...so, following this line of thought,

it seems we are living in a society in which WE are paying taxes on OUR own earnings with which laws governing US are enforced ~ all the while those in charge of collecting and spending our money are seeing to it that the greater beneficiaries of our work are not bound by the same laws that apply to everyone whose toil and sweat are used to build THEIR empires.

I wonder what our world might look like if every person alive held a comprehensive understanding of the modus operandus of international diplomacy and trade (?)

Last edited by vikmarlo on Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:47 pm 

what's new dude?!! - not rocket science! - sorry man - in the same vein - the louvre stuff upset me

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:36 am 

no, it isn't rocket science !

It's nuclear science
.... and then there's elemental physics and here's what that looks like less than a century from now :

map_earth_2100_by_jamesvf.jpg
map_earth_2100_by_jamesvf.jpg [ 77.47 KiB | Viewed 951 times ]

see what I mean ?

pinpoint all of those reactors on that map !

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:02 am 

indeed - meanwhile the people who have a bit of say continually ignore global warming and the icecaps melt - i was in foul humour yesterday - no harm meant!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:43 am 

none taken, Brown Dawn ~ no worries good friend !

as you see the game leaves me completely bewildered, and that article about Fuckyushima really caps the whole 'heedless' thing as I see it in those terms, that is, "... the blind lead and the many follow."

I am as crushed as can be over the melting polar ice. Around 90 percent of Earths fresh water is held in the ice sheet in Antarctica.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:06 pm 

indeed Vik - that makes for worrying reading - i hadn't heard - sellafield has caused a lot of damage here too - candle will be lit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:39 pm 

As much as I love nature, I'm a bit hypocritical as I sit beside my fossil-fuel
fired furnace, sending messages on a hydro electric charged, plastic computer.

Welcome to Dunnville with a statue of one of the town's many founders.
Don't dare miss the annual Grand river bath tub race.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:22 pm 

Is that the Mrs.??

she got a sis?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:46 pm 

Hello Mike.
No that's not my wife it's a random picture from the Dunnville news.
The only sibling my wife has is a 6ft. 7in. - 450lb little brother.
Hanging around with him was how I met her 44 years ago.
That catfish is beside the road as you roll into Dunnville on Hwy #3.
Keep an eye out for the hillbilly cops out there .

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:53 pm 

I know it's the other side of Canada, but is that woman related to Bigfoot?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:58 pm 

Location: Lost beyond the Black Hole's apparent horizon - Yorkshire
Coincidence - I met my wife 37 years ago, as I used to go drinking with her 6' 8" brother!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:08 pm 

⇁ㅀ↼

...sonar in action, keeping humans' world safe
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/ ... m_medium=3

⇁ㅀ↼

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:35 am 

"Hello Tosh, gotta Toshiba?" ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyfg1CdKg50

"Toshiba chairman quits over $3.4bn loss"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38965380

"Toshiba: What's going wrong?"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38456275

"What are the prospects for Toshiba's nuclear business?

Toshiba's nuclear business has not made a profit since 2013.

And while the firm has said the huge writedown will be a one-off, nuclear services globally are struggling.

Since the Fukushima disaster in 2011, nuclear energy has been a much harder sell. Some governments have opted to scale back how much they planned to rely on nuclear as an electricity source, or - as in the case of Taiwan - turn away from nuclear energy altogether to focus on renewables.

Big nuclear projects around the world have faced heavy delays, partly caused by a lack of skilled workers needed to meet regulatory standards.

For example in the US, Westinghouse (which Toshiba bought in 2006) is working on two new generation nuclear reactors in Georgia and South Carolina which are running late and over budget. "

"UK plant in limbo

Toshiba has a 60% stake in NuGen, a joint venture with France's Engie, which has the contract to build a new nuclear power plant in Cumbria in the UK.

It is estimated that the Moorside plant will eventually provide as much as 7% of the UK's energy needs.

In a statement, NuGen said: "NuGen acknowledges the announcement that Toshiba's review into the future of its nuclear power business outside Japan is complete and that it remains committed to developing NuGen's Moorside Project.""

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:23 am 

committed indeed. interesting to see the latest data from Fukushima
(as outlined in the UPI feature at the top of this thread-page) "speaking" in a language the business world pays heed to.

Question is : is the insight of inference on the side of wisdom (?)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:28 pm 

Location: Lost beyond the Black Hole's apparent horizon - Yorkshire
So we're investing in what will soon be a defunct technology - a fission reactor that won't be complete until new cleaner energy is available such as Thorium or fusion. Heedless indeed

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Board index » Test category 1 » Any Other Business