Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:32 pm 

WOW its just happened again!!!!!! :shock:

I was watching The secret life of the Motorway pt 3 when Master of the Universe came on !!!!! There was then an Interview with a girl called Alex Plows who heard about the Twyford Down protest at a Hawkwind gig at Brixton and so went down there !!! COOOOOOOOL!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:01 pm 

The only times i have heard Hawkwind on the radio was a local collage station, Zarozinia at about 2-3am ~10-12 years ago & just this past Christmas time i heard Orgone Accumulator (Space Ritual version)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:26 pm 

Tuned in very late last night to Stuart Maconie"s freak zone [7.50pm] and was greeted to a live version of Brainstorm and Sonic Attack [I think]. I got distracted cos I was at work but they both sounded blindin versions, but I couldn"t even tell if it was the Hawks or Hawklords or what. Have tried to go on his link on BBC 6 music to get a tracklisting, but then the whole site froze. Ah well it was good what I heard anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:00 pm 

Reminds me, last week forgot to post that on Nick Margerrison's Kerrang radio show (recommended for anybody who likes cons[piracies, ghosties, and general weirdness and mindgames...) at the end of the show when it's 'open mic' time and anyone can phone up about anything there was this caller and when Nick answered it Quark came blaring out the other end! The guy then started to play the 3 chords on guitar mutating them into Nirvana. Very surreal.

Post subject: Re: Hearing Hawkwind when you dont expect to.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:43 pm 

AND AGAIN !!!

I was watching Any Given Sunday American football film by Oliver stone with Al Pachino ( Great BTW) when I thought I recognised a piece of background music. End credits come........... Life Form by Hawkwind :D

Hawkwind made it to Hollywood. Result!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:37 am 

And again,

Stephen Frys greatest 100 gadgets Silver machine pops up for ................ a baby buggy !!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:17 pm 

Actually was going to mention this before christmas but forgot in all the fuss. In the middle of watching Masterchef one evening I suddenly heard the unmistakable sound of Lemmy's bass riff at the start of the Hawkwind version of Motorhead. It was clearly being sampled repeatedly in a dance track... some moments later what sounded remarkably like the synths from the "gypsy music" section of the Sonic Assassin's Over The Top was added to the mix.

I'd never heard it being sampled, but a quick search of the internet revealed it was Blackout by Unkle:

http://www.whosampled.com/sample/view/7 ... Motorhead/

From the same site I was surprised to see Autechre sampled the intro from Valium Ten in full. Over the top and Valium Ten are hardly the most well known of Hawkwind numbers to sample so they must be genuine fans.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:31 pm 

Nice find Dell

What an awful sample by Danny Brown though :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:14 pm 

This is a good moment to mention "Hawkslimmed" which also uses a "Motorhead" (the song) sample. A search for LV15 hawkslimmed shoud enable it to be found fairly easily.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:10 pm 

Dell1972 wrote:From the same site I was surprised to see Autechre sampled the intro from Valium Ten in full. Over the top and Valium Ten are hardly the most well known of Hawkwind numbers to sample so they must be genuine fans.

Autechre supported Hawkwind in Liverpool(?) can't remember when ...early 2000's i think.
God my memory is getting soooo bad :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:05 pm 

There were a couple of hardcore rave tracks that sampled Stonehenge Decoded in the early 90's but I never did find out anything more about them. In truth I would expect to hear Hawkwind sampled on a dance track more than I'd expect to hear Hawkwind in the middle of a daytime cookery programme!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:58 am 

Thanks for posting. I quite liked the Unkle one, but not so keen on the other

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:02 pm 

Location: Kent, UK, in an unfashionable spiral arm of the galaxy
Not hearing, but seeing a Hawkwind guest member - Henry Lowther, BBC4, The Story of Top of the Pops 1977 (the time he played on 25 Years).

He was a member of the BBC backing orchestra, and was talking about how bands used to con the Musicians Union rep about recording a live backing track for their live performances.

On a related note, it still heartens me that HW never gave in and mimed on the show.

I must be normal........

I must be normal........

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:06 am 

They just got a mention on Danny Baker show http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive just before 10.00a.m.
Story of some Andy Warhol lookalike in audience at Leicester demontfort hall.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:55 pm 

smugdruggler wrote:They just got a mention on Danny Baker show http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive just before 10.00a.m.
Story of some Andy Warhol lookalike in audience at Leicester demontfort hall.

I head that - Danny Baker is well into his early 70s rock - so he was lapping up the story :)

BTW - has anyone a link to the interview he did with HW a few years ago?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Test category 1 » Hawkwind Chat