Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post subject: Hawkwind Unplugged Party
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:19 pm 

In to the woods party

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNc4YdpNE7o

Post subject: Re: Hawkwind Unplugged Party
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:01 pm 

"Late to the party" BA :D

Someone (Jimski?) posted this a while back - but I've searched for it and can't find which thread it was posted in. So it's probably a good thing you've posted it again here in its own thread - at least we'll be able to find it now! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:24 pm 

Oh, ok :)

Cool party, many people around world will never see that live, like me. Or concert, maybe. And Dave isn't any younger. I dont think band will last many more years, but thats nature. Albums will stay forever. To bad I never saw them live. I don't even know how much I would like that, musicly speaking. Cos', I am more in to the band until 1985 and those line ups and those atmosphere from live albums. But to see Dave live would be better than nothing.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:25 pm 

Location: Kent, UK, in an unfashionable spiral arm of the galaxy
Talking of parties, this was backstage at Ipswich apparently.

2 legends meet up after 17 years. Amicable and friendly I'm told. Dave and DikMik....

IMG_0993.JPG
IMG_0993.JPG [ 72.16 KiB | Viewed 897 times ]

IMG_0994.JPG
IMG_0994.JPG [ 79.66 KiB | Viewed 897 times ]

I must be normal........

I must be normal........

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:55 pm 

i hope you get to see them live one day Black Adder! - awesome! - the sum of the components band wise doesn't even match up to the live experience i feel it jell's with Dave at the helm! - crikey i hope his right wrist is okay - my favourite hawk stuff is his rhythm guitar!

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:57 pm 

thanks for that Jimsk! - cool!

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:00 am 

I've just back from the Ipswich gig tonight, and it was a blinder. Tellingly, when they came on for the Acoustic set (bang on advertised doors opening time I might add, glad I got in quick), Dave went straight up to mic and said something like "You'll never guess who I've just been speaking to, DikMik. Apparently he lives in these parts now." He seemed quite pleased.

Overall, it was a great two sets, probably add more in the morning. They have to put out a live album at least. Richard thanked Haz for rejuvenating the band then pointed out to the ladies that he's single!

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:46 am 

Glad you have a great time Del(boy) :)

Wrote what was set list, how many and what kind of crowd (old, young, hippy...), how was band - Dave...

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:40 am 

I did make a note of the setlist(s). They are as follows:

Acoustic Set:

Quark Strangeness and Charm
The Age Of The Micro Man
Get Yourself Together (Mindcut)
Ascent
We Took The Wrong Step Years Ago
You Know You're Only Dreaming (instrumental coda)
The Watcher

Main Set:
Earth Calling
Born To Go
The Awakening
You'd Better Believe It >
Mellow Instrumental >
You'd Better Believe It (Reprise)
Have You Seen It?
Vegan Lunch
Steppenwolf
Darkland (Magus solo)
Magnu >
The Golden Void
Synchronised Blue
Deep Cavern
Into The Woods
The Machine
Welcome To The Future

Encore:
Arrival In Utopia

The band were pretty relaxed and in good humour. Dave was on form and very chatty between songs in the acoustic set, with the occasional heckling from Richard ("Tell us about the seventies Dave, you never talk about it, tell us about the sixties Dave, the love-ins"). As stated above, he mentioned the chat with DikMik, and was also grappling with a tablet (which he was struggling to turn on) for prompts on the lyrics, although Dibs handled most of the singing). They dedicated the acoustic version to "You know who, and his mate", and before going off vowed to come back in a bit and deafen us all.

The main set was pretty powerful, the now familiar site of Dave and Haz facing each other and occasionally interplaying closely with Richard. Dave still had his arm bandaged, but it didn't seem to hold him back. He did seem a bit out of breath/worn out after Have You Seen Them though. The instrumental middle section of You'd Better Believe It was lovely, Michal had a crack on sax for a bit, then Dave had a long solo. Other highlights of the main set for me were Born To Go, Have You Seen Them? Steppenwolf (I'm not usually overly impressed by that one, but it was very powerful last night), Synchronised Blue, Magnus' acoustic solo spot was great, The Machine was really powerful as was the encore Arrival In Utopia. The band were very much flying.

I'm assuming everyone is aware of the lineup: Dave, Richard, Haz, Dibs, Magnus, plus Michal Sosna occasionally on sax (now has a big beard, and who looked like he was having a ball). No dancers.

The crowd were the now familiar combination of all ages; lots of old guys (a bloke with a lab coat on that says "I'm not Brian"), and quite a few teenagers (in Hawkwind T-shirts). A real cross section of ages. As stated before, it was stated that Haz had rejuvinated the band, then Richard did his utmost to embarrass him by saying he's single, so invited the ladies to have a go. I suspect most of the women there were a bit old for him! When he said that though, Haz conspicuously had his back to the crowd for a bit, so I guess Richard succeeded.

All in all, a good night. Fairly big venue, not full, but a fair number there. I think a lot were caught out by the band coming on at 7:30. That's when the doors were advertised as opening, so I think half the crowd were still in the beer garden of the pub across the road when they started.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:25 pm 

thanks for posting Dell - sound's like it was a real blast!

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:25 pm 

The set list is changing each night with a few numbers taken out and others put in. At Dorking the encore was Assassins and we also had Living on Earth in the main set.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:12 pm 

Interesting, sign of a healthy band. With the encore Dibs was basically asking the audience what they wanted. I almost shouted for Douglas In The Jungle. Also there were a few mix ups in the acoustic set because the set had changed, Richard was effectively playing a different tune on the tambourine, so they had to restart twice I think!

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:32 pm 

indeed - i noticed 'Assassins' wasn't on Dell's list - i'm easy either way! - tension mount's!

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:57 pm 

Cool! So old ladies will try anyway to get him :lol:

Interesting night.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:48 pm 

Dave has previously described the Hawklords album as 'Armchair Hawkwind' it seems like most of those songs sound great acoustically. Maybe 25 Years On was inadvertently the Hawks' unplugged album. Ahead of their time again!

Love the version of 'The Only Ones'.

Board index » Test category 1 » Hawkwind Chat