Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: HAWKWIND-The Spirit Of Hawkwind 1969 - 1976
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:08 am 

mike coleman wrote:Just to be clear about myself:
My reference to the single had nothing to do with shipping costs, only manufacturing.

Didn't think of that, just thought it sounded expensive to export, weight-wise.

edit: am I allowed to be nosey and ask what colour vinyl you chose Lord o.t. Hornets?

I chose black by default because I really don't give a toss what color it is. Never going to open it. (the record that is; the book I'm about 1/3 the way through)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:02 pm 

lordofthehornets wrote:(the book I'm about 1/3 the way through)

When you are done can you post what you thought of it?
I'd like to read it (as I can never get too much Hawkwind!) but I am very reluctant to send any money in that direction. Maybe a used purchase might be in order if it is good.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:34 pm 

There's a lengthy and useful review on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0963 ... _i=desktop
(click 'read more'.)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:18 am 

That review is enough to stop me buying it.

The details of the game...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:56 am 

The story of Hawkwind
By A Mule With A Pen! on 30 Oct. 2015
Verified Purchase
Whoa this is the first review! This is a brilliant book telling the story about the legendary space rock band Hawkwind. From the eyes of one of the original co founding member Nik Turner. If your a fan of the Hawks or Nik turner then this is the book for you. Also comes with a bunch of amazing extras don't delay buy it today

This just SCREAMS fake review - ESPECIALLY the last line

And the repro Sonic Attack 7" - REALLY? And UA (EMI?) don't have anything to say about this???

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:15 am 

[quote="visionaryhead

And the repro Sonic Attack 7" - REALLY? And UA (EMI?) don't have anything to say about this???[/quote]

For technical peer review purpose only :)

(edit, just spoke with friend who has)

Heard these things regards label:

1) Liscensed by Demi Monde records

2) Published by Unart/EMI

3) Not to be sold seperately

4) Composer Michael Moorcock

5) Manufactured USA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:08 am 

There is actually a proper and lengthy review on there now from some author called Stephen Andrews. The general gist is that it's a nice looking package, but the text doesn't reveal anything new, nor does it really address the circumstances of this sacking in 1976.

The amazon price is quite bit more reasonable (just under 37 english notes), but whether that's enough to make me curious enough to want to buy it is debatable. The nagging doubt is that it's effectively being used to pay Turner's legal fees in his grudge against Dave.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:40 pm 

Dell1972 wrote:The nagging doubt is that it's effectively being used to pay Turner's legal fees in his grudge against Dave.

Yes that's why at the most I would make it a second hand purchase so my money never reaches Turner.
I'd like to hear a review from someone I can trust rather than a (possibly fake) amazon one.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:02 pm 

FWIW, My friend who has this, and who does not pay attention to the fight, because he can't be bothered, but also does not have a Nik collection AT ALL, apart from Hawkwind, echoed what the long reviewer said.

he said it to me before I read this review-
LOTS about Nik's early past and lots of people mentioned that my friend had never heard of.
Good pictures, simple read.
He had not read the tour diaries yet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:51 pm 

Dell1972 wrote:There is actually a proper and lengthy review on there now from some author called Stephen Andrews.

Yes, that's the one I was referring to in my earlier post, not the idiotic one highlighted by visionaryhead.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:55 pm 

fred the wonder dog wrote:There's a lengthy and useful review on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0963 ... _i=desktop
(click 'read more'.)

I'm only about half way through the book, but so far, I'd say this review is very accurate - FWIW

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:16 am 

" I can't imagine any serious Hawkwind fan NOT wanting this gem, unless you come down so far on the side of Brock et al that you'd have joined Alan Davey and his mates in getting Nik chucked out of the 'Wind in 84 (disgraceful!)."

Damned straight I don't want a copy!
I would've personally fired Nik in 1976 myself so that Hawkwind couldn't get held back by his antics.
Power struggles cause disintegration in whatever field they occur.
I won't contribute a single penny towards Nik and Cleopatra's attempt to claim the Hawkwind name.
Dave Brock might not be a Saint but he certainly does do Saintly things.
Dave is a 100 times better songwriter, singer and musician than Nik has, is, or will ever be.
If I know that Dave is getting royalties from the book I'll buy a copy.
Aside from that it'll be a cold day in hell before I give a rats *** what the Nik/Cleo camp are up to....
Let alone support their cause.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:39 pm 

OK, here's an interesting thing I've just read in the book: that HW played a CND March in April '72, said to be one of their best gigs.

Was that recorded? Which live album (or bootleg) would that be. I've not heard of it - or have I just missed it (by some other name)?

No, it's not the Cambridge Corn Exchange gig / 6 hour technicolor dream - because that is described separately, in a previous paragraph.

I'm really quite intrigued now! Though I can imagine that not every HW gig was recorded for prosperity in those days.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:03 pm 

unused (David Hardy) Space Ritual art with the flying saucers....was music to these "eyes"

Last edited by mike coleman on Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:44 pm 

lordofthehornets wrote:OK, here's an interesting thing I've just read in the book: that HW played a CND March in April '72, said to be one of their best gigs.
Was that recorded? Which live album (or bootleg) would that be. I've not heard of it - or have I just missed it (by some other name)?

This is from that article about Hawkwind and the Cold War - I don't know whether it will help identify any recording, though:

CND tapped into this world of protest and music. The Aldermaston marches nearly always featured music, and the 1972 March concluded with a festival held in Falcon Field, opposite the Research Establishment. It was a fitting finale, as “the affirmation of life and opposition to nuclear weapons at the gates of an establishment devoted to universal death was moving and effective” (Minnion & Bolsover, 1983, p. 32). Hawkwind played at the festival (Clerk, 2004, p. 55; Minnion & Bolsover, 1983, p. 32).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Test category 1 » Albums + DVD\'s Videos etc