Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post subject: Hawkwind and the 1970s - book
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:34 pm 

Hi Everybody, Joe Banks here. So, after much note-scribbling and head-scratching, the book that was mentioned after the Bob Calvert article in The Guardian is finally underway. If anybody's interested in following my progress ie. reading random thoughts about Hawkwind or whatever I happen to be listening to, I'm now on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/JoeBanksWriter

As I mentioned before, one of the things I'm keen to do is gather eyewitness thoughts and impressions of the band from the 1970s. If anybody's interested in contributing, I'll be putting together a proper message about this soon.

Cheers, Joe

Post subject: Re: Hawkwind and the 1970s - book
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:19 am 

I've just followed you on Twitter. If you'd like to put out a message on Twitter about the book I'll re-tweet it. It'll be seen by people who were very definitely around in the early days of Hawkwind.

Owen Paterson: "I didn't move the goalposts. The badgers moved the goalposts." But the badgers never thought it was a fair game in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:45 am 

Yep, I've followed you too, though at a relatively youthful 44 years old I was too young to experience Hawkwind in the '70s as it happened. I didn't get to hear them until about 1982 through my elder brother and blagged my way into a gig in 1989, but I'd love to hear what you come up with.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:12 am 

Location: Kent, UK, in an unfashionable spiral arm of the galaxy
Hiya Joe,

Splendid news, will be interesting to see how the projects goes. If you need anything feel free to drop me a line - I did an academic dissertation for my BA degree about Free Festivals that centred on the band so I've been down the research route and may be able to point you in the right direction if there's anything you need. I also work in a uni library and we have 10+ years of hardbound NMEs which I started picking through for HW and related snippets.

Jimski

I must be normal........

I must be normal........

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:54 am 

Many thanks, guys, really appreciate your interest. Sweep, will put something up you can re-tweet. Jimski, I'd love to chat to you at some point, what's your email?

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:52 pm 

Hiya fella, you're welcome to contact me on jim.skinner[at]tesco.net (apols - don't want spam bots grabbing my email address). I reposted your message on the HW Facebook page and on Brian Tawn's. It'd probably be worth your while dropping him a line as I'm sure he'd be happy to help.

I must be normal........

I must be normal........

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:16 pm 

indeed - i'm interested - and god forgive me - get that phd done Jimsk ! - i know festivalised is out - but your own angle is up to you - i wrote an essay in 1983 in school entitled 'SpringTime' (mayday) and hit the higher planet's - the *****'s - their first day out and all that - based on the Champion Of Garatorm - the teacher's were mystified!

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:20 pm 

Jimski wrote:Hiya fella, you're welcome to contact me on jim.skinner[at]tesco.net (apols - don't want spam bots grabbing my email address). I reposted your message on the HW Facebook page and on Brian Tawn's. It'd probably be worth your while dropping him a line as I'm sure he'd be happy to help.

Thanks Jim, that's kind of you. I used to get Hawkfan off Brian in the early 80s, so should definitely get back in touch.

I'll drop you a line sometime over the next few weeks if that's ok, as I'm currently concentrating on getting some words on paper. Cheers, Joe

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:23 pm 

Sweep wrote:I've just followed you on Twitter. If you'd like to put out a message on Twitter about the book I'll re-tweet it. It'll be seen by people who were very definitely around in the early days of Hawkwind.

Sweep, I've done you a tweet ;-) Cheers, Joe

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:20 pm 

Thanks, I've re-tweeted that. You never know who might see it.

Owen Paterson: "I didn't move the goalposts. The badgers moved the goalposts." But the badgers never thought it was a fair game in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:23 am 

hi Fatalist - good luck with that! - if you need any info on the live Hawk's gig's in Dublin let me know - i was at all of them since the Levitation tour in '80 - my ex next door neighbour seen the space ritual in '73 in Dublin - quote 'Count Motorhead'! - i can still contact him if need's be

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:24 am 

p.s. - i don't use social media fora

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:48 am 

Sounds like an interesting concept for a book. ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:07 pm 

Has this really been 3 years? Blimey, where did the time go?

I must be normal........

I must be normal........

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:32 pm 

Hi Everybody

Joe Banks here. So, the book is progressing slowly but surely ;-) As I said in my original message, I'm really interested in gathering some eyewitness input from people who saw Hawkwind in the 1970s. Gigs/tours I am particularly interested in receiving memories of include:
• All Saints Hall
• Porchester Hall
• Free/community gigs under the Westway
• Isle Of Wight/Canvas City
• Greasy Truckers benefit, Roundhouse
• Space Ritual tour
• US tours 1973/74
• Atomhenge tour
• US tour 1978 (particularly the ‘final’ San Francisco gig)
• Hawklords tour (particularly first few gigs with full staging)

But any and all memories of gigs during the 1970s welcome!

If you or somebody you know would like to help me out, please contact me directly at ifthisgoeson@yahoo.co.uk I will then send you a questionnaire/prompt sheet (not as heavy as it sounds!) to give you a fuller idea of what I'm after.

And if anybody wants to hear me witter on about Hawkwind and other music, I'm on Twitter at https://twitter.com/JoeBanksWriter

Many thanks, guys!

Board index » Test category 1 » Hawkwind Chat