Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post subject: Hawklords Tour 1978
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:09 pm 

I found this old flyer for one of the Hawklords shows in 1978 and wanted to share it. I saw them at Paignton Festival Theatre earlier in the tour and then again at Plymouth Poly later on. This was the tour when the PA blew regularly and Plymouth was no exception!

To be frank we all thought Hawkwind were no more - based on pre-internet reliance on the music press and this was an amazing tour with Bob Calvert probably at his very best. Also remembered are the support band - The Softies - who were great. They later released a single on Charly (records!) "Killing Time in Soho" c/w "Whisky Man" and "Something Better Change". Highly recommended.

Line up was DB, Bob Calvert, Harvey, Martin Griffin and Steve Swindells and material was essentially 25 Years and PXR5.

Anyway good trip down memory lane for me - I hope you like the flyer.

Tom Image

Post subject: Re: Hawklords Tour 1978
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:34 pm 

THANK YOU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:55 pm 

Dr Strangelove wrote:. Also remembered are the support band - The Softies - who were great. They later released a single on Charly (records!) "Killing Time in Soho" c/w "Whisky Man" and "Something Better Change". Highly recommended.

Yeah the Softies - Glasgow Apollo was closed at the start of the tour and they player Usher Hall Edinburgh with Patrick Fitzgerald supporting. He was so bad you could not hear him for heckling. Dave's speakers went on fire that night and they lost power halfway through the show as well.

Glasgow Apollo reopened and they played there at the end of the tour with the Softies supporting. If I recall they were a trio and you had to be at least 16 stone to be a Softie. Bought Killing Time a few years ago and got it converted to mp3. One of my favourites.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:26 pm 

Thanks for sharing. and of course the drummer for The Softies, Mick Smith plays on Valium 10

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:58 pm 

For Moonglum.

Attachments:
Softies0002.jpg
Softies0002.jpg [ 72.16 KiB | Viewed 1997 times ]
Softies0001.jpg
Softies0001.jpg [ 75.55 KiB | Viewed 1997 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:47 pm 

I saw the Paignton Fest. Hall gig as well. I remember Bob C was standing on stage and theatrically reading a newspaper, during part of "Robot". Turning his head left and right as he looked at one page & then the opposite one.

That's also the gig where he said we should stamp our our local branch of MAFF (the ministry of Ag, fisheries & food)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:45 am 

lucky you Graham! - never seen the great Bob live - leave's a vacuum - given Hawkwind being a mind journey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:36 am 

Dr Strangelove wrote:For Moonglum.

thanks for that

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:29 pm 

Location: Kent, UK, in an unfashionable spiral arm of the galaxy
I've just checked on the Bootleg Emporium and there's a good recording available. I've had a quick listen and it's very good - musically it sounds pretty similar to the Hawklords Live 1978 album (which was recorded the next day?) and the sound quality is excellent.

I can't upload the zip file here but here's a direct link... http://www.hawkwindbootlegs.com/?wpfb_zip_cat=360 You'll need to be signed up to access it else it'll come up with a 'page not found' error.

HW 1978-11-23 Polytechnic, Plymouth UK.front.jpg
HW 1978-11-23 Polytechnic, Plymouth UK.front.jpg [ 421.16 KiB | Viewed 1644 times ]

HW 1978-11-23 Polytechnic, Plymouth UK.back.jpg
HW 1978-11-23 Polytechnic, Plymouth UK.back.jpg [ 213.92 KiB | Viewed 1644 times ]

I must be normal........

I must be normal........

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:36 pm 

Went to the Portsmouth gig,only my 2 nd time seeing them ,but got the bug early on.Went up to Reading Hexagon and it was around guy Fawkes night and too our surprise the band came out in the foyer ,so started chatting to the band when some roadies started throwing some snapit fireworks. Next thing it was me & my mate and the band against the roadies which lasted for a few minutes. Great fun and a lasting memory of how approachable my heros were. Calvert seemed to be really on form that night,will have to play the recording again sometime.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:57 am 

Isn't this WEIRD 104?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:05 pm 

this tour was the first time i saw Hawkwind/Hawklords, but at The Fairfield Halls, Croydon, i was 15 at the time, and it my first ever gig, a mate of mine had given me his copy of Space Ritual a few weeks before, so when i saw they were playing The Fairfield in October, i just had to go and see them, i remember Bob Calvert dressed in his Biggles outfit and pretending to fire a machine gun at the crowd, i was totally blown away by the gig, and so began my love affair with Hawkwind.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:20 pm 

Location: Lost beyond the Black Hole's apparent horizon - Yorkshire
Small world - I was also at the Portsmouth Guildhall gig! Don't remember too much as I was not coping well with being at the Poly, very depressed but it was one of the few good bits of that year. Had the T-shirt for years but it was eventually a victim of welding spatter! It was my third Hawkwind gig if I remember correctly.

Board index » Test category 1 » Tours Past & Present