Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post subject: Re: Hawkfest 2010 - Thank-you
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:06 am 

Location: Kent, UK, in an unfashionable spiral arm of the galaxy
Got to echo the comments above.

A heroic effort by all those involved in setting up and running the event, greatly appreciated.

The bands played out of their skins and put on memorable performances. Special mentions to Here & Now who put on a blinder just a day after heving their kit stolen, the academy bands (stars in the making), Tribe of Cro, Huw, TOSH and, most predicably but most worthily, Hawkwind, who's performance was noted by many as being one of the best for a while (and there's been some great ones recently). The set just got better and better and they really seem settled and gelled as a unit. Legendary.

The best bit? It was good to meet up with so many faces old and new. Met a lot of good people, chatted my arse off and made new friends again. What a nice bunch of people.

Only gripe - would have appreciated a little more choice in food. What was there was a little pricey, although it was very tasty. After tasting Steve Johnson's curry I'd say bring him back as official Hawkfest caterer next year!

Oh, and a special thanks to Eve and her Tipis - couldn't ask for better. Really made the festival memorable and also a nice lady.

I must be normal........

I must be normal........

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:30 am 

Ditto ditto ditto - Thank you so very much to all those that brought this festival together, it sounded like you had some real hills to climb....and I don't mean that one that was behind us! What a warm and friendly vibe and about the only festival I've ever been to where the band members are casually walking about the festival with rest of us plebs ;) Also, it has to rate as the best ever view at a festival - same again next time please! Here's hoping (and praying to the beings beyond the etherlvoids!) for more Hawkfests soon.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:16 pm 

1000 dittos. Just a superb weekend with a brilliant vibe throughout. The quality of music was excellent, from Gravity Addicts at the start (very impressive), through Nanobots (special mention to Robot 7 - you made my day), Star Fighters (Quark, Strangeness and Charm - brilliant), Prime Sinister (only time I have enjoyed Money for Nothing), oh the list goes on and on.

As for the site, well never had to queue for a beer (and I did visit regularly to support the bar), Amazing Cakes Outstanding Teas (Best cakes ever - sorry you lost more and more of your tent as the wind blew), The Coffeeshop - never had to wait 15 mins for a latte before, when there is no queue and you have to repeat your order 1000 times, but well worth it.

Then there was the Hawkwind Set, I can't remember one I have enjoyed so much and I have enjoyed everyone I have seen.

Everything perfect, could ask or expect more. My only dissappointment was in having to go home - the mind wants more, the body however was glad of a hot bath and my own bed.

Full thanks to everyone involved and next year I promise to get involved in setting up, however I can - I do feel guilty about the number of people who put their hearts into it just for people like me to attend.

BRILLIANT.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:50 pm 

i would like to add my thanks to all the bands, for turning up on time , for being patient with our shortcomings, for lending out their gear, for behaving with grace and humour and for great performances!
personal highlights were Krankshaft, Roundhouse and Girlschool, and a present of isle of wight garlic!

lowlights my bad knee, the choice of music in the bar and not being able to go to stage 2 very often!

oh and also thanks for all the lovely comments and brilliant support for Tarantism, we really enjoyed our set , great audience x

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:20 pm 

Thank you Hawkwind for all your hard work and effort and for delivering the goods, it can't have been easy. East Afton Farm was the perfect location and very much appreciated. The location, the vibe, the bands and the music, it was all brilliant and we enjoyed every single moment of it and will continue to do so for long time to come. East Afton Farm again next year anyone? it gets my vote.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:57 pm 

-a brilliant week-end, great location, great music, good beer, nice cakes, what more can you ask for?!!

-also second our thanks to all the fantastic amount of hard-work that the Hawkwind team , crew and friends like Tarantism put in to make this all happen. You did one helluva joband the reward is the great week-end that we all had.

-my own musical favourites were Flutatious, first time seen them, Tribe of Cro, Tarantism, Here + Now, Gaia, not to mention, ofcourse, Hawkwind and Tosh! But all the bands played their part in an outstanding week end, love to you all!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:53 pm 

Two generations of Byrnes had a great time - memorable moments - Hawkwind set, Here and Now (especially 'Opium for the People'), Krankschaft, Mr Quimby's Beard, Flutatious, Malinkey's Restaurant, an impromptu lift for a German photographer who had recorded on film the 1970 festival and was in fear of his life on the late niight road, the bar and the incredible coffee shop where the proprietor seemed amazed I wanted to order coffee, confirmed that it was a Latte and a Cappuccino a couple of times and then after a conversational wait which would have put a French restaurant to shame, put the coffee on the counter, took a fork and proceeded to burst the bubbles explaining 'they shouldn't be there' - you don't get that kind of personal service in Starbuck's, more's the pity.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:42 pm 

macmac wrote:Same as all of that!

me & lyn just got home and wanted to say a BIG thank you to everyone, we had a lovely blast and hope the Hawkfest 2011 happens, we'll come back!

Thanks for such a great 3 days!

PS loved the Tosh session.... blew me away ;)

Good to meet you Mac & Lyn

See you at the next one!

(Ray & Carol)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:11 pm 

I can only say the same what a really great w'end met some lovely people my wife enjoyed herself great bands Hawkwind sounded better than they have for years.thanks to the Bands the Hawkfest Team for there efforts and everyone who made it a great Festival. Roll on 2011. :D :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:17 pm 

A big thank you to all who made this fanstastic week end possible, i loved every minute of it.

It was good to be at East Afton Farm again 40 years later. I had a walk down Desolation Row and a climb on Devastation Hill where i had flashes going through my head, it was a real blow.

I was glad to meet up with one of the 1970 festival organiser (Ray Foulk) and other festival veterans with which I had very good chats.

MERCI HAWKWIND, MERCI LES GENS GENTIL, a bientôt.
(Thank you Hawkwind, thank you kind people, see you soon

Nothing remain the same...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:57 pm 

Location: Kent, UK, in an unfashionable spiral arm of the galaxy
Hawkonline wrote:Just got back. Right, where do I start?

The festival was fantastic. Everyone was cool and enjoying it, even security were alright. Really laid back atmosphere, no commercial bullshit. Epic.

Hawkwind were f*cking awesome!!! They delivered it man, really well! Good to have all the good songs from the new album on, and good to hear Brainstorm and Kings of Speed again!!! It was phenomenal. Many people are saying it's the best they've seen Hawkwind in a while, and I reckon it's probably the best I've seen them - which is nice. Where more appropriate for a really well pulled off gig, than on a historical site 40 years on from that legendary era, to their most dedicated fans???

Krankshaft were really cool. I forged a friendship with them, and am now very interested in this band! "Ode to the Sun" was unbelievable!!!

Captain Rizz's Hot Steppers were the highlight of Friday night for me, if I'm honest. I really did enjoy Here & Now as well, and their legendary status as members of the free festival scene deserved them a headline slot at Hawkfest. The Hot Steppers were just chilling out, and it was bloody awesome. I enjoyed both!

The Starfighters, Mr Quimby's Beard, Lloyd Langton Group were my other favourites, though most of the bands were really worth checking out!

TOSH. I missed the first 15 minutes or so due to stewarding, but I managed to catch most of it. Fantastic!!! Was cool to see Steve Bemand onstage, he's really good. And to see Dread, Keith, Martin Krel and the other roadie (I forget - is it Jan?) onstage jamming it. "You Shouldn't Do That" was out-of-this-world, and "Orgone Accumulator" was amazing too. "Hurry On Sundown" was awesome to see - Huw and Dave jamming it out.

Well done to all the crews of all the bands, in particular Hawkwind and the organisers, for organising such a decent event on such a specific time and place! A place where it's obviously a challenge with the local authorities!! Nice one, Hawk!

Someone else mentioned this, the lack of food choice? Yeah, it did suck a bit. I relented into buying a £7 Dahl, rice and tomatoes, which was so pricey for what it is! Having said that, it was really, really tasty! I downright refuse to pay £6.50 for a burger though!!! Can we have a chip van next time (not instead of - as well as!). Tony's Coffee Shop was THE place to chill out. He was open this morning when there were about 6 people altogether onsite! Thank god; last night everyone left was just chilling out in there, it was really fantastic - nice one guys!

Hawkfest 2010 was just fantastic for me. I'm suffering a bit of anti-climax from the main event, but am eagerly awaiting the December tour and PLEASE another Hawkfest! I doubt I'll steward next time though, it was a laugh, but I think it's worth the £70 to chill out a bit and have no schedule :)

So, thanks all - and all the forumees I met - witchwood, Dazzy B, jonnim, steevpond, Jimski, Arab Neil and a couple others - was cool to meet!

Great festival!

Cheers,
Haz.

P.S.

- For all the time I was there, I forgot to buy a Hawkfest t-shirt!! Does anyone know if I can still get one?

Sorry I didn't get more time to chat. Well done on the hard work round the site - good to see such enthusiasm. A lesson to us all.

I must be normal........

I must be normal........

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:16 pm 

It was a stunning festival! Loved seeing Krankschaft, Nanobots, The Starfighters, TOSH, Tribe of Cro, and THE band!

It was a bloody long walk up there - SO worth it! Lovely people there too :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:58 pm 

Brilliant weekend thanks to Kris, Margaret and Rose and the rest of the organisation team for getting it up and running, and all the Hawkwind fans for making it a special few days. Also High Rise form the board who drove us back to Freshwater each night thanks mate.

Hawkwind knocked out the best set Ive heard from them in a few years really tight with a few surprises. Song of the weekend goes to TOSH with You Shoudnt do That, had me tripping all the way back to 1973, brilliant. Best new band [I hadnt heard them before] goes to Gaia whose freebie cd hasnt been off since I came home. Special mentions for Tarantism, Alan J Bound, Hillmans, etc........ and to the organisers of the exhibition at the Dimbola Lodge.

Still on an emotional high thanks again everyone.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:02 pm 

First Hawkfest, first time seeing Hawkwind. What can I say, everyone else on the forum has said it. Just amazing, so much great music, great vibe. Sorry I missed out on the coffee tent it seems to have been a highlight of the festival. I really hope there is one next year. And hats off to Amazing Cakes Astounding Teas, the ginger slice was indeed an amazing cake. Brilliant weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:35 pm 

First one for me too... everything I'd hoped for and more... a huge thank you to all involved in making it such a great success, you are truely amazing people... can't believe that I haven't attended before, can't wait for the next one... a most excellent adventure... THANK YOU.

Board index » Test category 1 » Hawkfest