Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post subject: first single
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:09 pm 

this is rare or what

http://www.discogs.com/Hawkwind-Hurry-O ... se/2557311

Post subject: Re: first single
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:14 pm 

quite.

an investigation of the trident label compared to others of 1969 might yield information.

edit: it's too hard for me. I give up again, though it was fun now having seen queen and who and led zeppelin items, as well as bolan and bowie...

interesting that the who ones are 8 inch and the zeppelin 10".

I wonder if any Hawkwind fans have a unique version of anything such as the queen LP I saw contains.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:03 am 

Wow ~ yeah, as an artifact insanely rare :-) the problem with acetates... well... you guys already know! if it hasn't been played but maybe once or twice, why then, it is really worth quite a lot of money, you can still rip it to the computer and save the sounds.
more than ten plays and theyre not worth hens ****

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:14 pm 

vikmarlo wrote:Wow ~ yeah, as an artifact insanely rare :-) the problem with acetates... well... you guys already know! if it hasn't been played but maybe once or twice, why then, it is really worth quite a lot of money, you can still rip it to the computer and save the sounds.
more than ten plays and you frame the mothers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:36 am 

vikmarlo wrote:
vikmarlo wrote:Wow ~ yeah, as an artifact insanely rare :-) the problem with acetates... well... you guys already know! if it hasn't been played but maybe once or twice, why then, it is really worth quite a lot of money, you can still rip it to the computer and save the sounds.
more than ten plays and you frame the mothers

Every so often I take a look at what's been written about them..
Here's the one i just did

http://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/

"awww, my brain" :D

oops, the above is a broken link but i kinda like what it does so I will leave it.
Here the correct one if interested:

http://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/211752

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:32 pm 

It has always been my understanding that the acetate is a shellac coated in lacquer, and begins fading away upon the first playing. they are lathe-cut, often times right in the studio, and are only meant to be listened to a few times so producers can see how well what is on the mixdown tape translated to cutting, so that final adjustments to the mix can be made before the thing goes to production pressing.
Test pressing are first run of factory vinyl press,
so are vinyl like what is sold to public, but not necessary ways same quality, all dependent on need. That is my understanding of the differences.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:14 pm 

I asked George Peckham AKA "Porky Prime Cut" (he cut me some acetates in the past) - if you have GOOD quality equipment, acetates can be played "lots of times". A poor stylus however will degrade the acetate.
Direct from the cutting master himself.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:41 am 

visionaryhead wrote:I asked George Peckham AKA "Porky Prime Cut" (he cut me some acetates in the past) - if you have GOOD quality equipment, acetates can be played "lots of times". A poor stylus however will degrade the acetate.
Direct from the cutting master himself

a bit ambiguous, no?
a dozen plays is "lots of times" for an acetate.
sure, you can go on playing them, but the sound degrades remarkably compared to a vinyl disc. I don't know what sort of hi-tech styli are on the market these days, perhaps if you're tracking something along the grade of eiderdown you might forego a rip to digital on the first play. the antiques, in my exper., are rarely found in unplayed condition. now it's not as if acetates were made of chewing wax, but hell, if it's a matter of historic preservation of artifacts of profound obscurity, well then why allow the devaluation of audio elements when it is the simplest thing in the world to convert it immediately (?)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:12 am 

Hi Guys

I am not looking to argue, simply thank Visionaryhead for that.

I have examined this issue several times (in print) over the years, and what he just said matches where I had last "left the issue" in my mind, though I do not now recall from where I drew that conclusion.
I had changed my (original) response here so as not to be "in argument".

I now ask you again Vikmarlo if you have had direct experience with them yourself, mostly because I am interested and it seems cool if so.

To me it is actually simple what he's just said:

"You can play them"

Today's styli can be pretty gentle

edit: I think most of us Hawkwind fans would not play one over and over- but we might like to play one without having a Parkinson's type of syndrome going on when we do.

If you have ever looked at just your Hawkwind albums you would see "Porky" is all over them.
It is my understanding that record cutting is a fairly "exclusive club" and if that guy said that, I would take it as a "final authority" on this issue.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:18 pm 

The greatest "unholy terrors" to me, are not simply people playing acetates, but people not understanding the importance of NOT sliding records in and out of paper sleeves and the mother of all horrors-

shipping boxes

The world has not yet got all the way up to date by making it international crime to ship records in NON OVERSIZED boxes.

There should be a threat of jail time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:44 pm 

mike coleman wrote:Hi Guys

I am not looking to argue, simply thank Visionaryhead for that.

I have examined this issue several times (in print) over the years, and what he just said matches where I had last "left the issue" in my mind, though I do not now recall from where I drew that conclusion.
I had changed my (original) response here so as not to be "in argument".

I now ask you again Vikmarlo if you have had direct experience with them yourself, mostly because I am interested and it seems cool if so.

To me it is actually simple what he's just said:

"You can play them"

Today's styli can be pretty gentle

edit: I think most of us Hawkwind fans would not play one over and over- but we might like to play one without having a Parkinson's type of syndrome going on when we do.

If you have ever looked at just your Hawkwind albums you would see "Porky" is all over them.
It is my understanding that record cutting is a fairly "exclusive club" and if that guy said that, I would take it as a "final authority" on this issue.

Thank you mike for responding here, and I don't mean to sound argumentative, so apologies if I did come across that way.

To answer your question, yes I do have direct experience with this, where it concerns acetates that got played by second hand owners* back in the day, prior to 1982. So as regards antique (60's-70's) shellac/lacquers, and their surviving condition, my point definitely holds truth in fact. Since I quit my vinyl hobby with the first appearance of the compact laser disc ~ starship troopers aboard ~ I resigned from pursuit of advancements in stylus technology and with it any claim to expertise on that matter. If the acetate can now be played with little wear, then I am happy for all collectors and enthusiasts who own and play them. Those slabs that survived the 60's and 70's in relatively salvageable condition, that is, can be transferred and restored to a degree that a passable master can be obtained from that source, these should be treated as museum piece. Those shellac-lacquers that did get played more than about a dozen times on equipment contemporary to the 70's have lost significant audio elements original to their form, it's just as simple as that. And of course, thank you Visionaryhead for your post ~ your voice is regarded and valued. :-) much love
Edit:
second hand owners referring to anyone who played the acetate post-production, on standard consumer-grade listening equipment.

Last edited by vikmarlo on Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:19 pm 

Dear Vikmarlo

I was worried about MYSELF sounding argumentative, and if so, only in good friendly learning terms.

This is also why I asked, if you have experience that is superb. I do not know anyone who has.
They haven't told me if they did anyway.
I also was just making clear WHO Visionaryhead was referring to!!
cheers!!
(back to reading your message) :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:28 pm 

speaking of museum pieces, let's give Pierre Thompson a thumbs up: :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HAWKWIND-Self-t ... 7675.l2557

Last edited by mike coleman on Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Board index » Test category 1 » Albums + DVD\'s Videos etc