Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post subject: Dodgem Dude cover - work in progress
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:13 pm 
My brother doing Dodgem Dude.

Work in progress.

He's not a vocalist. ;-)
https://soundcloud.com/gilgafrank/dodgem-dude-1

Post subject: Re: Dodgem Dude cover - work in progress
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:26 pm 

That's great! :)

[quote="Davesax1965"]
He's not a vocalist.

Neither's Mike Moorcock. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:28 pm 
Well, yes. ;-)

We keep saying we'll do some kind of collaborative Hawkwind project. But you don't want to hear ME singing, that's for sure. ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:49 pm 

haven't heard it yet Dave - will play later! - must admit i like the great MM'S vocals! - 'highly hysterical' i think one music buff once said - good girl bad girl and fair dealer are stand out's for me -both vocally/lyrically - not to mention his brill 5 string banjo!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:56 pm 

Yeah, that is really great ! Tell your brother not to touch it ~ its perfect the way it is now...leave it.
Now, if you were to join in and add some of your audio generator (tastefully restrained) from your home laboratory, you guys could have a f'king international number one record, that is if financial riches happened to appeal to you....
;-)
All you need is a top-moniker, and Ive got the perfect one for you

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:14 pm 

PS :
if you were to release it as a single, put 'Blues For Pluto' on the B-side
(perhaps with your bro doing the same thing for you with his guitar ~ adding a touch of 'sweetener' ~ mind you, being extremely cautious; tasteful restraint would be key there for sure, as BFP is essentially perfect the way we first heard it so any embellishment would be very minimal & complementary there. you could replace the original drum track on BFP without deconstructing the piece, if you have separate tracks on that [?] )
If I was there to produce I could guarantee you guys a number one UK single.

Dodgem Dude
b/w
Blues For Pluto

brilliant,
absolute brilliance

Edit:
* I tried to PM you but you seem to have that option disabled, Davesax1965

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:39 pm 

nice Dave! - nice bit of rhythm guitar in there too - when are youz doing Starcruiser?!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:36 am 
Cheers, gents !! Well, we keep saying we'll do a cover album, but it doesn't seem to happen. Maybe one day. The problem is royalties - mechanical copyright and all that. Good way to lose a fair bit of money. And I'm not going to ask Hawkwind fans to pre-order an album which might not happen. No one pays for music, anyway, despite protests to the contrary.

And yes, lots of Hawkwind fans release cover versions without paying HW anything. That's not fair, in my book.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:26 pm 

IMO, they dont pay when its digital-only ~ no physical product. They tend to pay if the artist puts together an attractive 45, EP, or LP (eg coloured vinyl,and\ or cool centre label, jacket, sleeve) and of course the song is highly desireable.
the trick then is to print in limited quantities and advertise the fact. You can do virtually the same with a physical CD, although since CDs are more readily copied, sales diminish ~ those who understand the important difference between CD and CD-R and actually care to not have to re-burn every several years will always shop your wares

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:07 am 
Thanks, Vik ! The problem is that I *want* to actually pay Hawkwind / Tim Blake / Mike Moorcock et al.

I've been moaning on for years about how musicians should be paid for their work, so it'd be a bit hypocritical to release something and then not pay the original artists. ;-)

The world is full of people not paying for music, or finding any way or excuse for not doing so. Sorry if I don't join in.

Having blown up my sound card, literally, I'm not recording at the moment, but I think I'll do a version of Lighthouse - the New Jerusalem one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:58 am 

indeed and agree - the isle of wight is long gone!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:05 pm 

of course we should pay as benefactors of any artist to whom we pay tribute;
what I dont know anything about is how the music business works in the UK regarding royalty payments.
so-called "Red tape" can be a nuisance, to put it mildly ~ however, in my own experience, giving away money is usually not the difficult part ! any way you frappé the berries, I have found that whilst HW don't answer emails, they almost always will answer a private message on this board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:24 pm 
Well, they've ignored all mine so far, Vik. As have Cherry Red records. ;-)

We'll see, I'd do a whole album *but* experience shows that everyone would merely download it if it was free. ;-)

Sad state of affairs.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:30 pm 

baffling. (about the no-reply)
:?

It is certain to be part of the reason why so many are dedicated to vinyl ~ its not that the records sound better; they hold a market unto their own that doesn't necessarily and instantaneously dissolve into digital ephemera

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:54 pm 
Trouble with that is "minimum printing - 500". And then you're up against the problem of shifting 500 albums - at least 300 to break even. Really, bit of a con, you're recording in digital anyway and then pressing on an analogue medium. ;-)

Board index » Test category 1 » Any Other Business