Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dave B., Seaton, birthday honour.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:11 am 

just spent the morning in the hospital with me da - they let him out thankfully - an idol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:07 pm 

Location: Kent, UK, in an unfashionable spiral arm of the galaxy
There's a lot of it about. Guess it's our age. Best to yer pop!

I must be normal........

I must be normal........

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:13 pm 

"Guess it's our age."

That's exactly what it is.
The wife and I went through a 10 year period where we lost
everybody except her mom.
It is not a good experience and very straining on survivors.
But somebody has to keep steering the ship as our elders
rely on us to keep the family afloat.
Hospitals, doctor's offices and pharmacies are not nice places
to hang out but I guarantee you they appreciate every second spent.
I wish good health to your families.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:15 pm 

indeed - and thanks folk's - much love

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:54 pm 

We're going to be in Seaton (well Axmouth) the week before but we'll be at Beautiful Days just up the road by the Saturday.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:09 pm 

pete wrote:We're going to be in Seaton (well Axmouth) the week before but we'll be at Beautiful Days just up the road by the Saturday.

Quick anecdote - 5 years ago I was having a grim time. My late dad had just had a kidney removed due to cancer and there were a couple of other things that knocked me back.

Out of the blue I got a message from Kris saying they were trying to get me on the guest list for Beautiful Days so I could pop down and celebrate Dave's 70th birthday with them there. It came to pass that by the time they contacted the stewards etc. it was too late for me to drive the 180 miles to site them find them, but it didn't really matter - it was a random act of kindness to a stranger that was greatly appreciated and lifted me when I was at a real low.

What isn't widely seen by us ordinary fans is that Kris, Dave and the rest of the crew at HQ do this sort of thing (i.e. as well as Seaton, remember the Exeter academy of Music and Sound? Also the generosity of the charity work at the Space Ritual gig?). They don't do it for the prestige, or to buy favours - it's done because it's the right thing to do.

The rededication of the hall is a just reward for the years or hard work - worth as much as any music award, more even. I certainly hope to be there to make it a special day.

I must be normal........

I must be normal........

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:34 pm 

beautiful story Jimsk - i feel for you - me da has alzheimer's and me ma copd - hard graft and worrying - - i was trying to map a route a while ago to get to a cavern in Cornwall i think - the great Kris pm'd me - Hawkwind are a good life sentence!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:58 am 

Yes, Dave's birthday is on 20 August. And who's birthday is six days later (26 August)? :?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:17 pm 

Jimski wrote:
pete wrote:We're going to be in Seaton (well Axmouth) the week before but we'll be at Beautiful Days just up the road by the Saturday.

Quick anecdote - 5 years ago I was having a grim time. My late dad had just had a kidney removed due to cancer and there were a couple of other things that knocked me back.

Out of the blue I got a message from Kris saying they were trying to get me on the guest list for Beautiful Days so I could pop down and celebrate Dave's 70th birthday with them there. It came to pass that by the time they contacted the stewards etc. it was too late for me to drive the 180 miles to site them find them, but it didn't really matter - it was a random act of kindness to a stranger that was greatly appreciated and lifted me when I was at a real low.

What isn't widely seen by us ordinary fans is that Kris, Dave and the rest of the crew at HQ do this sort of thing (i.e. as well as Seaton, remember the Exeter academy of Music and Sound? Also the generosity of the charity work at the Space Ritual gig?). They don't do it for the prestige, or to buy favours - it's done because it's the right thing to do.

The rededication of the hall is a just reward for the years or hard work - worth as much as any music award, more even. I certainly hope to be there to make it a special day.

That is typical of the Kris and Hawkwind.

Back in 2007 one of my friends died whilst trying to save someone students from drowning. They were celebrating the end of term and were told not to go in the sea as they were dangerous rip currents along the shore. Drink flowed and sure enough in they went. My friend Giles was on his way back from the market when he hard the cries for help and dived in to help.

Now Giles hated the water and was a poor swimmer at the best of times. What went through his head I don't know but he another guy swam out to help and got two of the students to safety. Sadly though Giles and the another guy got caught in the rip and were swept out to sea. His last act was one of supreme courage. I am not sure how many of us, if we were in the same situation would have done the same thing.

Giles loved Hawkwind and Space Ritual with Sonic Attack in particular was his favourite track. Often after several, ahem, herbal cigarettes he would regail us with his version of Sonic Attack complete with silly voices.

We would often go the Hawkwind Christmas Show at the Astoria so I wrote to Kris to see if the band would play Sonic Attack at their show on 19 Dec. Kris replied that she was not sure what the band were planning for the show but would speak to Dave.

If you listen to 'Knights of Space' just before Track 16 you will hear Dave Brock "This one is for Giles Parmar....." a tiny bit of immortality for my mate Giles. Class act Hawkwind. I hope to meet Kris and Dave one day to thank them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:14 pm 

Location: Lost beyond the Black Hole's apparent horizon - Yorkshire
And this is why Hawkwind are known as the Peoples' Band

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:02 pm 

Congrats to Dave and the band and well done for helping keep a local venue open.
Hoping to pop in for the day, just booked campsite up the road.

Cheers all
John & Sue

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:58 pm 

Am thinking of camping for the evening so I can have a couple of beers. Best site? I did camp for the first HawkEaster but the walk up the hill to the designated site each night almost killed me.

I must be normal........

I must be normal........

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:48 pm 

Is there any information about what is actually happening on the day ?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:32 am 

They say 'bring a picnic', which I guess means it's likely to be afternoon, perhaps into the evening. At Weston-Super-Mare a year ago there was a full band 'Elves' performance in the afternoon then we pottered along to a local bar for birthday cake and tiffin, but I retired about 9 for the long drive home.

I was told DB may do a little acoustic but it's also been noted that the rest of the band should be there (and prob friends like Steve Bemand) so we may get an Elves performance.

What should be remembered is it's an honour for Dave and also his 75th birthday so I'm sure he's entitled to a day off! Apart from that, nothing confirmed that I've seen.

I must be normal........

I must be normal........

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:40 am 

Update from the Gateway...

"This Saturday will be a special day at The Gateway....all invited and more importantly free to all......from 1pm we will be simply enjoying being a 'Charity'...and to add to the excitement Dave Brock and Hawkwind will be there to help us celebrate this great achievement. It will also be Dave Brocks 75th Birthday!!!!!. We have named the main hall Brock Hall in his honour and have a very smart ...'ssshsh its a secret thing' to honour the occasion......so from 1pm join us for drinks, bar will be open, big screen down with plenty of Hawkwind to watch, then hopefully if Captain and Crew can mange their might be a special little set. bring your picnic for tea ....then at 8pm we will have a local band playing for ....mmmmmph a while to set our party off......so anyone welcome to join our Hawhnerd party and the scrummy celebration of being awarded charity status....oh and yes its the captains 'Dave Brock's 75th ....oh did I say that already !!....."

I must be normal........

I must be normal........

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Test category 1 » Hawkwind Chat