Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post subject: Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:00 am 

Was this - The (or one of the ) greatest Hawkwind albums of all time?
A bold statement I know- But did it not catch the band at one of their creative peaks. Unlike space ritual and QS&C, this one can get overlooked at times.

With a real edge to the production and outstanding arrangements this was and remains, an audio feast and a unique journey for the listener.
Is that Lemmys bass on the opening number - Aerospaceage Inferno. Wot a bassline!
Ejection - Classic hard rock, Hero with a wing- Timeless, Right Stuff- Pure RocknRoll. It´s all too much!
A Brown´s vocals on The Gremlin Pt 1&2 are well- Spine Chilling and unnerving.
This 30odd yr old vintage ages exceptionally well and is a glorious treat to the ears and cans. It still sounds tip top and pristine and does the buisness every time.
The words of the master poet brings the story sharply into focus whatever century you reside in. What a legacy for the great man and his loved ones.
It will always be in my Top Three.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:13 am 

always thought the songs were great but the 'acting' way too hammy for my tastes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:53 pm 

I guess the trouble with any 'concept' album of this type is that the novelty of the spoken bits rather wears off, on repeated listening. It's just the nature of the beast. Best thing I reckon is load it into Cakewalk or something, and produce a second version, a music-only version. Then you've got both options available.

Of course, some people might be dubious about the ethics of interfering with an artist's product.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:43 pm 

Fantastic album. The Right Stuff was chosen by Peter Hook and Steven Morris of New order when they did a guest spot on Radio two a couple of months back. They had to chose 3 songs which influenced them. A Bowie Ziggy Stadust track and I think a Sex pistols song were the other two. 8)

Fantastic use of sampling and drum machine sounds tied up with classic rock and roll, and Gremlin part One must be the inspiration for Paul Hardcastle's Nineteen.

The only fault I find is it's a bit short for an album.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:58 pm 

Thanks for mentioning this smugdruggler. :)
I've also had Capt. Lockheed heavily on my mind for the past year.
I listen to the cd in my car on the way to work every day.
The credits list both Lemmy And Paul Rudolph on bass.
I think Lemmy plays on Aerospace, Widowmaker and Right Stuff but not on Ejection.
Catch A Falling Starfighter has changed something inside of me.
I truly love this song with all of it's background noises and banter. (especially under the influence)
Who the hell was the Ladbroke Grove Hermaphroditic Voice Ensemble???
You're right...this truly is a Hawkwind album based on a Calvert concept and it is timeless.
The more a person listens to Captain Lockheed And The Starfighters ...
the more a person becomes posessed with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:09 am 

Location: Kent, UK, in an unfashionable spiral arm of the galaxy
Haven't looked at my vinyl copy for a while (so I may be talking out of my rear end) but didn't Paul Rudolph also lay down a fair amount of the guitar work?

Clarification please....

*** Edit ***

Don't worry, found this on Wiki:

(I presume Brian Peter George St John La Baptiste De La Salle is Brian Eno?)

Musicians
Robert Calvert - vocals
Arthur Brown - vocals on "The Song of the Gremlin" parts 1 and 2
Paul Rudolph - lead and rhythm guitar (all), bass guitar on "The Song of the Gremlin" parts 1 and 2, "Hero with a Wing"
Dave Brock - lead guitar on "The Widow Maker"
Lemmy - bass guitar
Nik Turner - saxophone
Brian Peter George St John La Baptiste De La Salle - Synthesizer
Del Dettmar - synthesizer
Adrian Wagner - keyboards on "The Song of the Gremlin" parts 1 and 2
Simon King - drums
Twink Alder - Funeral drum on "Catch a Falling Starfighter"
The Ladbroke Grove Hermaphroditic Voice Ensemble - back up vocals

Actors
Vivian Stanshall - most leads (e.g. Ground Control, Bright Mechanic)
Jim Capaldi - American Salesman, Recruiting Officer, Dim Mechanic
Robert Calvert - Pilot
Tom Mittledorf
Richard Ealing

I must be normal........

I must be normal........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:29 pm 

Lemmy is alo credited with rhythm guitar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:23 pm 

Has anyone heard the remastered version, is it any better?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:54 pm 

Location: Kent, UK, in an unfashionable spiral arm of the galaxy
samsheep wrote:Has anyone heard the remastered version, is it any better?

Don't think I've ever heard it. My old vinyl version sounded like it had a scratch on, which annoyed me for years. When I got a CD copy it was on there as well!

I must be normal........

I must be normal........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:26 pm 

Jimski wrote:
samsheep wrote:Has anyone heard the remastered version, is it any better?

Don't think I've ever heard it. My old vinyl version sounded like it had a scratch on, which annoyed me for years. When I got a CD copy it was on there as well!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mine sounds alright but I do tend to skip the drama bit and just play the choons - which are great. Always good to see them crop up on the live albums/DVDs now and again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:31 pm 

Highscores: 5
Don't have it at the mo,
But always used to listen to it's entirety,
The dialogue is essential, IMO,
Being a Satirical album, you need the sattire,
Imagine any Hawkwind album, without the spoken bits,
Wouldn't be right.
Cheers
Dai

ALCOHOL
J Strummer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:55 am 

Especially the magical spoken word of Bob Calvert.

The Enchanted Grove.

And so they set out through the dark forest to find a stick-beater among the Elves, who would join them. And as they went, they found signs and trails that led them to a magic glade where the air was a haze of orgone blue. In the midst of this there stood a tall red-bearded man intoning some strange form of litany. The flowers cowered back from his voice and no bird sang.

“I think it’s a Druid” said DikMik.

“He looks sober to me” said the Lurch.

“Welcome” said the priestlike creature. And they saw that his cloak was swarming with stars and agitated planets. “You must be the ones who go under the name of Hawkwind. About whom I have had many ominous dreams.” His voice had a curious echoing tone.

“Do you know how to mince words?” said Brock.

“Mince them? No, but maybe this will suffice.” He grasped the words that he had just spoken out of the air and placed then in a small stone crucible. He shook the crucible, held it to his ear like a shell, then held it at arm’s length in front of him and closed his heavy-lidded eyes. There was a tiny but intense flash of light and then a flock of tiny images burst into the air. Images of all they had been watching. Images that hovered and then flew to the tops of the trees and away.

“If that isn’t mincing, then I don’t know what is” said Lemmy with a humorous tilt.

“By the way, how are you known?” said Brock.

“By the nane of Calvert,” said the echoing voice, “and if you have use for one skilled in such magikry, I should be pleased to join you in your voyaging. The Orgone Glade is a lonely place.”

Post subject: Re: Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:50 pm 

smugdruggler wrote:Was this - The (or one of the ) greatest Hawkwind albums of all time?
A bold statement I know- But did it not catch the band at one of their creative peaks. Unlike space ritual and QS&C, this one can get overlooked at times.

With a real edge to the production and outstanding arrangements this was and remains, an audio feast and a unique journey for the listener.
Is that Lemmys bass on the opening number - Aerospaceage Inferno. Wot a bassline!
Ejection - Classic hard rock, Hero with a wing- Timeless, Right Stuff- Pure RocknRoll. It´s all too much!
A Brown´s vocals on The Gremlin Pt 1&2 are well- Spine Chilling and unnerving.
This 30odd yr old vintage ages exceptionally well and is a glorious treat to the ears and cans. It still sounds tip top and pristine and does the buisness every time.
The words of the master poet brings the story sharply into focus whatever century you reside in. What a legacy for the great man and his loved ones.
It will always be in my Top Three.

It's a great album, but maybe too much of these talking tracks.
My opinion is that Warriors at the edge of time is the best og greatest album, and I consider that Captain Lockheed is a Robert Calvert project, even if most of the hawk members are included, but still I keep the album together wiht all the other Hawkwind, Calvert, N. Turner, Alan Davey, Michael Moorcock etc albums. :wink:

The musical parts Aerospaceage Inferno, Right Stuff, Hero with on wing, Ejetcion and others are really great tracks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:35 am 

Some years ago I taped my vinyl version of this and inserted The Widow Song in the right place (according to the script sheet) and after repeated listening the original version didn't sound right anymore.Then I lost that tape :( but last year I got Capt.Lockheed on cd and the Friends & Relations cd that The Widow Song is on and with the 'magic' of my pc & acid (the sonic foundry acid not the other) did it all again and burnt it onto a cd which lives permanently in my car now.
I'd never even considered editing out the spoken parts until reading this thread but I don't think it would sound right to me if I did so I wont.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:17 am 

I learned some very interesting/important post WWII history from that album.
I also learned about Thatcherism and the UK govt. union busting movement during the minestrikes in the 80's from FREQ.
Bob's music always raised questions in the mind of the listener.
An idol mind is evil foreplay....errrr
For some I'm still looking for an answer ....
Listening to Bob now.
Please never make it stop. :evil: :evil:

Board index » Test category 1 » Albums + DVD\'s Videos etc