Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Brockworld
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:59 pm 

Dell1972 wrote:Bloody hell! Brockworld is here... It's actually early! This never happens!

"Stories in sound, some relate to the next stage show "The Machine" all together about 50 mins"

It's a digipack with a simple two page booklet slipped inside. Looking forward to listening to it.

DARNIT!!

I KNEW I should have said "I bet it'll be there tomorrow" when you first joked about it.

Thrilled for you!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:37 pm 

Pant....Pant...
How's the sound clarity Dell?
Lots of heavy, Brockly riff's I hope.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:32 am 

Mine arrived early too and giving it a blast now ... package a bit thin considering the cost which is a little disappointing ... sonically its a lot heavier than the last album, dips into electronica a la "Electric Tepee" era and lots of experimental bits ... looking forward to the headphone experience but as I say they could have put more into the package for what is really the price of a double album!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:02 am 

Yep, I've listened to about three quarters of it this morning. The packaging is a little sparse, but the artwork is beautiful and the content is pretty heavy.

It took me a few minutes to realise why the opener (which hits you over the head like a plank of wood at the start) isn't a Hawkwind number, and in the end my only conclusion was that he was singing about love. Some of it is quite experimental. Sounds bizarre but there's a whiff of polish folk music in places! Unsurprisingly, the lyrics have a dystopian bent.

I am pleased to announce he really gives it some welly with the harmonica in at least one track. So far he's not gone anywhere near the acoustic guitar (edit actually he picks it up during Age of Psychedelia - with what sounds like geese and wasps in the background, and lovely bit of fingerpicking - X in Search of Space style- as it fades out), it's a blend of heavy electric blanga and electronics... which can't be a bad thing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:54 pm 

Listened to it twice now, a very enjoyable album, typically quirky. I think another listen and it'll have had more plays than Spacehawks! It remains to be seen as to whether the band effort is as good as this next year.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:35 pm 

wingnut wrote: but as I say they could have put more into the package for what is really the price of a double album!!

How much SHOULD things cost?

I believe the cost of CDs (and the perception thereof) has been seriously skewed by the 'good old days' of major record companies and music megastores selling them at what actually was a seriously discounted price due to sheer box shifting logistics. And all those megastores have now closed, the world has changed.

In the last year I have purchased (direct from the bands) ...

Sound Mirror by Syd Arthur. Single CD in basic cardboard sleeve. £9.50 delivered

I See You by Gong. Single CD in cardboard gatefold sleeve. £13.79 delivered *

Live at the Orpheum by King Crimson. Short (approx 40 min) live album on CD and 'enhanced format' DVD in cardboard gatefold sleeve. £13.34 delivered

Pewt'r Sessions 3 by Causa Sui. Single CD in basic cardboard sleeve. £13.17 delivered

I don't see Brockworld being £15.00 delivered as being excessive in comparison to those.

In the past I have bought Robert Fripp soundscape single CDs from HMV/Virgin megastore/etc for more than £15. I have also bought many, many major label CDs (several years after initial release) from the same megastores for less than £5.00.

Again, how much SHOULD things cost?

[edit] * I did Gong a disservice - it's actually a rather nice hardback booklet/cover

Last edited by SteamAbacus on Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:01 pm 

Good music in non-elaborate packaging works for me.
Beauty can truly be skin deep.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:06 pm 

Clunk ..........

A jiffy-bagged parcel has just fallen through my letterbox.

I have some work to do in my studio - guess what's going on the CD player to accompany it. :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:59 am 

Steam Abacus, hi, Having run an independent record label in the past and knowing full well the cost of albums in all formats I stand by what I said earlier... and when you add in the postage for this album it comes to £17 .... doesn't mean I won't or don't like the album but I think it's a fair enough comment all the same.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:49 am 

Wingnut, nothing personal meant by my comment at all.

Are you living in Europe? Mine included delivery for £15.

My comment was purely that Brockworld cost me broadly the same as the other CDs I've bought this year - the exception being the Syd Arthur CD which had more basic packaging.

Genuine question - are the production costs for a double CD significantly greater than a single one? I'm guessing that the most significant factor would be the size of the print run and, again, I'm guessing that this is fairly small for Brockworld.

Whatever the cost, I listened to the album three times yesterday and enjoyed it. It's everything you expect from a DB solo album - quirky, slightly raw and containing snippets of 'recycled' lyrics and musical ideas. I see it as a window into Dave's creative process.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:50 am 

If it's 50 minutes of music as opposed to the 40 minutes we used to get on vinyl lp's in the 70's???
As long as Dave plays guitar I want to hear his music.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:00 am 

Mine got delivered to here in Hong Kong long before I expected it, which must be fast.

I have not listened that much yet but it sounds good so far.

The details of the game...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:49 pm 

Location: Kent, UK, in an unfashionable spiral arm of the galaxy
I'm liking it so far. Have ripped it to mp3 for the car and it hasn't (mostly) got that awful thin tinny drum machine sound bursting through.

It seems to be a nice combination of riffing, real instruments, electronica and quirky lyrics. Like noted above, there's a love song or two on there, but they fit in nicely.

The tone reminds me of some of the AD-era stuff, not quite Tepee but in the same mould. Perhaps with a bit of Xenon thrown in. Some nice odd audio moments too.

Still early, but I think my fav solo album by DB so far.

I must be normal........

I must be normal........

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:24 pm 

I was a bit concerned about compression when the opening track came jumping out of the traps at full tilt, but on the whole it sounds pretty good to me. I don't like the way the opener starts like that, with that kind of already started feel to it, as though it's been cut from a longer piece. I think the same happened on the final unnamed track on Onward if I remember, it just doesn't quite sound right to me.

That negative aside though, I really like what I hear. The guitar sound is nice and thick, pretty much how I'd like it to sound live, and although there are a few familiar sounds and lyrics, we don't have the usual recycling of previously heard tracks. It's a bit rougher around the edges than his last album, but that's not a bad thing. If you've bought one of Dave's solo albums before, the level of expectation is that there's going to be a degree of experimentation and a slightly unfinished feel in places, less so this time than his earlier albums presumably due to the technology available to him now.

It's definitely a contender.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:14 pm 

Dell1972 wrote:I was a bit concerned about compression when the opening track came jumping out of the traps at full tilt, but on the whole it sounds pretty good to me.

I would say it sounds pretty much un-mastered. Since most of the sound sources are d.i.'d (plugged straight into the desk) it really doesn't require too much anyway. Some of the bass synth sounds are quite full on and may have you reaching for the volume control if you're listening quietly at night, for example. Sounds best turned up a bit.

All in all, I'm much happier with a slightly less 'polished' feel (my recent King Crimson 2015 live CD had a very 'un-mastered', dynamic sound as well - maybe the industry is finally catching on) compared to the unsympathetically uber-squashed 'grey goo' of, for example, Onward. It may work for banging techno, it certainly doesn't for dynamic rock music.

Oh, and I'm really enjoying Brockworld. Horizon stands out after the first few listens (could well turn up in Hawkwind's set, I reckon) and I reaaly enjoy Dave's quirky not-so-Hawkwind vocal moments.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Test category 1 » Albums + DVD\'s Videos etc