Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Best Live album
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:02 am 

For me there are 2 or 3 favourite Hawkwind live albums. Firstly "Space Ritual", because although I never saw the band in that era (I only discovered them in 1976 through being a fan of Mike Moorcock's writing), the album absolutely blew me away. It was quite simply Science Fiction put to music, something I'd never heard before. Even when I listen to it now, I can still recapture the feeling of nearly 40 years ago.

But then "Live Seventy Nine" and "Chronicle of the Black Sword" are also strong favourites, because they were audio snapshots of my earliest Hawkwind gigs. When I listen to them I can still see Tim's lasers dancing about the Hammersmith Odeon, and Elric waving the Black Sword around the stage at Leicester De Montfort. I guess it would be "Space Ritual" for number one slot, as although I don't have memories of the gig to back up the music, it still has a power and majesty that for me has stood the test of time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:31 am 

Well it would be great to see Hawkwind live but because of Dave's age probobly this whish it will stay whish. Hawkwind and Pink Fairies I wanted to see, and The Deviants (Mick RIP). Sam Gopal and Rockin Vickers would be fun to see too. But..... old age and all that.. Hawkwind are not touring around europe to much, specialy not south-east europe... to bad..
Alright so 'Space Ritual' is for now on number one by this thread voting.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:45 am 

Space Ritual is hands down my favourite HW live recording. It will remain with me until I die.

In fact it's neck and neck with Jimi's Woodstock concert as the greatest ever live rock recording imho, but I think SR wins by a nose.

Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush live at Bromont Quebec 1979 is a close third alltime favourite.

I love all HW live stuff, a big big percentage of my listening pleasure.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:36 am 

Space Ritual Alive is the holy grail.
In 1973 I walked into a burnt out basement and could see music streaming out of stereo speakers.
It was Hawkwind's Space Ritual on fm radio.
Orgone Accumulator pulled my astral entity back into my body on numerous occasions.
This goes without mentioning the foldout sleeve that hosted endless laboratory experiments.
Space Ritual is my favorite all time piece by any artist.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:03 pm 

1. Space Ritual
2. Live '79
3. Friday Rock Show Sessions
4. California Brainstorm
5. The Business Trip

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:38 pm 

Location: Lost beyond the Black Hole's apparent horizon - Yorkshire
For me it has to be Space Ritual, it was a gamechanger for me. Got it first day of release as a 13yo and it blew me away. Nothing else like it then, now or in between. Had I never heard it I may have been normal...(shudders)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:55 am 

for me i like the love in space live.. i just converted the dvd to audio and listen to that rather than the cd .. i think ron does a stellar performance.. i used to hang round with him pre hawkwind (when he was in *******).. we'd get stoned together and he would play hawkwind riffs for me .. lol
i was gobsmacked when i found out he had joined the band :))

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:01 pm 

Greasy Truckers Party - really enjoyed that 22 minutes of live Hawkwind on side 4 when I got hold of a copy in 1976. I thought the version of Born to Go was much better than on Space Ritual.

Space Ritual remains the best full album for me.

Weird 102 / Weird 103 (the 1977 stuff) was exciting to hear, mainly because of the mix. I sent off my £5 notes for both of those cassettes when they were first released.

Live 79 was the first time an album was released after I'd seen them on the actual tour, so that was a bit special.

And as to my fav era...? Hmmm, well, let me try to work that one out!

Of the later 'archive' releases, I'd probably pick out 1999 Party and Leave no Star Unturned. And yep, the Nottingham TV studio VHS tape.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:57 am 

Given that Live at the Kinetic Playground is not official, and that the Greasy Truckers was a multi-band event, I'd say the Space Ritual 1973 is the best. It is the unpolished feel I like in the band (being their debout my favourite LP). After that I like the Live 1999 at the Chicago Auditorium.
I also like the Business Trip even though it is "very polished" to my ears as it happens with the Horror Show.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:33 am 

[quote="johnb"]for me i like the love in space live.. i just converted the dvd to audio and listen to that rather than the cd .. i think ron does a stellar performance.. i used to hang round with him pre hawkwind (when he was in *******).. we'd get stoned together and he would play hawkwind riffs for me .. lol

What a fantastic recording that was John, I agree. Another great performance was Live Legends/Out of the Shadows/Night of the Hawks/Live in Nottingham 1990.

I so miss the lead guitar work, the violin stylings and sublime saxophone from earlier live recordings. The current lineup needs more of that imho.

I also love the live cd on Blood of the Earth, wish I could get the cd as I only have it via youtube. Wraith/Angels of Death/Levitation are fantastic imho.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:28 am 

Hawkwind Winter Solstice 2005

This is such a fantastic recording. I feel so fortunate to be in love with such wonderful music. It is so a part of me. Hawkwind music sprouts from my ears, people standing near me can almost hear it, my skin shines Hawkwind music out to the galaxy....the Right Stuff Baby the Right Stuff.

Dave and Band let's hope for a strong spring 2016... Stay Strong!!!. Can't wait, my lifelong ambition to be in concert, stay healthy all.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:45 pm 

[quote="johnb"]for me i like the love in space live.. i just converted the dvd to audio and listen to that rather than the cd .. i think ron does a stellar performance.. i used to hang round with him pre hawkwind (when he was in *******).. we'd get stoned together and he would play hawkwind riffs for me .. lol

That is, just CRAZY cool.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:17 pm 

I interpreted this as best live album....singular.
Greasy Truckers was the Motherhawk while she was 8 months pregnant.
She gave birth to a long overdue Space Ritual.
LSD and Space Ritual went together like ***** and *****.
Or toast and jam if you prefer.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:01 am 

Don't know about best, but I really like Palace Springs.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:32 pm 

Space Ritual 2014 was a fantastic gig that may, hopefully, become possibly the best live album/cd/dvd I own.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Test category 1 » Albums + DVD\'s Videos etc