Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Favourite Hawks Artwork
In search of Space 12%  12%  [ 11 ]
Space Ritual 31%  31%  [ 28 ]
Doremei 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
Astounding Sounds 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Quark 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Hawkwind 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Levitation 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Hall of the Mountain Grill 8%  8%  [ 7 ]
Warrior on the edge of time 33%  33%  [ 30 ]
Zones 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 90
 Post subject: Best Hawkwind album artwork
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:53 pm 

Planet Rock have a competition on to find the best Album artwork. Now what I thought we should do is have a vote get the Hawkwind Forum's favourite then all pop over to Planet Rock and vote for whoever the winner is. Should get the band up there.

I have listed what I think are the best in the poll but I'm restricted to the amounts of choices, so if yours is not their, Sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:13 am 

No Black Sword! :evil: Hrumph!

I'll have to pick something else then which isn't Black Sword then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:45 am 

I actually want to vote for the first three. And Warrior. But I can't, so it's trying to find reasons to pick one. Therefore I've gone for In Search Of Space, mainly because of the innovative zig-zag opening thing, and the trippy photos of the band. Suppose I'd put Space Ritual 2nd for equally decorative cover and quantity and Doremi 3rd for also being fantastic and so influential on others. And fit silver women on the back :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:27 pm 

Hall of the moutain grill for me I have a kind of emotional connection to that album anyway, but a hunk of space junk falling earthwards the the subtle psychedelics of the orange and yellows with the steely grey...I first bought it when it was re-issued around 84 on LP and found it a striking cover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:24 pm 

CosmoNaughty wrote:Hall of the moutain grill for me I have a kind of emotional connection to that album anyway, but a hunk of space junk falling earthwards the the subtle psychedelics of the orange and yellows with the steely grey...I first bought it when it was re-issued around 84 on LP and found it a striking cover.

I also have an emotional connection for much the same reasons as you CosmoNaughty AND it was my first Hawkwind LP in the summer of '85 - Tommy Vance had the band in session the week I got it too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:10 pm 

Did I mentioned there's no Black Sword? My first Hawkwind album, well CD acutally. I went with Doremi as its fairly iconic for Hawkwind. But I do like Warrior, Hall and In Search Of Space too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:59 pm 

I voted for Space Ritual, mainly because of the Vinyl album's art ( the inlay's artwork ), but I like Doremi, Hall of the mountain grill and In Search of space, and I also missed Chronicle of the black sword but anyway it will be Space Ritual.
Bye the way, I agree with you Pedal Bin about Doremi as an Icon of Hawkwind ( maybe because I have the T-shirt :oops: :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:39 pm 

I have the Black Sword cover as my desktop and to be honest whilst there are several much better albums I would probably say that was my favourite cover!

Anyway I'm voting for In Search Of Space which is probably my favourite Hawkwind lp!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:57 pm 

:cry: :cry: :cry: I knew I would miss one that everyone would ask for. What we can do is find what is considered the best from the above and then put it against the Black sword. Would that work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:01 pm 

I know it's a compilation album, but I've always loved the artwork. It was actually the first Hawkwind record I bought. I'd never heard them before and I bought it simply because I liked the cover.

YÖÜR ØÅPTÅIN IS DEÄD<<

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:46 pm 

Location: Kent, UK, in an unfashionable spiral arm of the galaxy
Space Ritual

Not only a very colourful, beautiful piece of work but it reflects Barney Bubbles' skill in absorbing elements of different styles and cultures into innovative ideas. A top designer at his best.

I must be normal........

I must be normal........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:11 pm 

Isleofwight wrote::cry: :cry: :cry: I knew I would miss one that everyone would ask for. What we can do is find what is considered the best from the above and then put it against the Black sword. Would that work?

take out Levitation and put Black Sword in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:27 pm 

Barney Bubbles mastery of combining photography with animated graphics and psychedelic image repetition does it for me, and that goes without mentioning the inner sleeves.
The human brain halves depicted as a flaming hawk transposed over pictures of Hawkwind performing Space Ritual live is the ultimate lp cover.
The mind's-eye-love-goddess just enhanced the whole effect with her golden panthers.
I chose Space Ritual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:46 pm 

voilodian ghagnasdiak wrote:Barney Bubbles mastery of combining photography with animated graphics and psychedelic image repetition does it for me, and that goes without mentioning the inner sleeves.
The human brain halves depicted as a flaming hawk transposed over pictures of Hawkwind performing Space Ritual live is the ultimate lp cover.
The mind's-eye-love-goddess just enhanced the whole effect with her golden panthers.
I chose Space Ritual.

Yes i agree it has to be the Space Ritual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:57 pm 

Yep, Space Ritual gets it from me,

come to think of it, Space Ritual has a lot to answer for 8)

Board index » Test category 1 » Hawkwind Chat