Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post subject: Another Hawkwind book - The Music of Hawkwind by Chris Wade
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:01 pm 

Location: Kent, UK, in an unfashionable spiral arm of the galaxy
Anyone know anything about the author, except by Googling? Don't think I recognise him from gigs. Any good, d'ya reckon?

(I'd be happy to review it for a free copy, hint hint)

http://wisdomtwinsbooks.weebly.com/books.html

I must be normal........

I must be normal........

Post subject: Re: Another Hawkwind book - The Music of Hawkwind by Chris W
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:40 pm 

Never judge a book by its cover? Have to say though - crap cover (considering what a visual band HW are). Hope the interior is better...

...although when it says

Wade also gets fresh recollections from the likes of ... Nik Turner

and doesn't list Brocky - I have my reservations

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:04 pm 

Location: Lost beyond the Black Hole's apparent horizon - Yorkshire
Not listing DB in the guff - major faux pas. I'll save my money.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:07 am 

Good find. The iffy cover and the fact Dave has no involvement or mention in the write up sets off large warning klaxons, though the presence of lots of interviews sounds enticing.

I'm very sceptical after doing an amazon search of the author's name: He's produced a small library of books in the last few years, most with the prefix of "The Music of.." and almost none of them reviewed by anyone, which makes me suspect it's recycled material with dubious copyright status that we may or may not have all read before.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_no ... chris+wade

He did a music of Bob Dylan book that got a five start review, but got one star for a Captain Beefheart book.

There's a webpage about the author here:

https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view ... twinsbooks

Oh, hold on. The main page of his website is a bit of a giveaway, looks destined to be packed to the brim with bile and spite:

http://wisdomtwinsbooks.weebly.com/

"Welcome to the Chris Wade and Dodson and Fogg website. Chris Wade is an English writer, musician, illustrator and ludo champion (last bit made up) based in Leeds. He is the chap behind the critically acclaimed music project DODSON AND FOGG, which has featured Nik Turner, Toyah and Celia Humphris. His audiobook comedy has been narrated by the likes of Rik Mayall. He also writes Hound Dawg Magazine, fiction & non fiction books, as well as running Wisdom Twins Books/Records. He loves flapjack, has 4 cats, a lovely artist wifey and a beautiful daughter"

All in all, it may be interesting, may be hastily cobbled together and seems to be written by a mate of Nik Turner's. I'm pleading guilty by association and at 14 quid for a physical copy I think I'll pass it up as too risky a purchase. I may give the digital version a go as and when it appears, or at least read a preview and decide whether to stump up the money to continue.

I'm much more likely to give my variably earned cash to Ian Abrahams and the rewrite of his book on Hawkwind.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:59 am 

"I'm not interested in anything you have to say.".........

Chris Wade.
Ian Abraham's new book will be on my shelf.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:54 pm 

visionaryhead wrote:Never judge a book by its cover? Have to say though - crap cover (considering what a visual band HW are). Hope the interior is better...

Just like 'The Friday Rock Show Sessions'! :)

Possibly the worst album art for a Hawkwind album, but the music is cracking. Would love the full set to be released some day assuming they recorded the whole set and they were no technical problems with the recording.

But as for the book, best avoided then it would seem. Unless someone is willing to 'take one for the team'?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:20 pm 

To be fair, I have a memory that Kris asked me about the writer a few months back when she was asking a technical question about the band's history. It may be that he'd dropped them a line but they were too wrapped up in the trademark dispute to follow it up.

I must be normal........

I must be normal........

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:27 pm 

* Stop Press *

Chris has just been in touch and kindly sent some example pages, which I'll just convert to suitable sized jpgs and post.

I've had a quick gander and it's alright - the format looks different to the other established books, insofar as it seems to be interviews with ex-members and associates rather than being timeline-driven, with one of the samples being a look at/behind the new album, as well as being a part review.

I'll leave it to the man himself to explain. This is what he sent over.....

"Hi, I just wanted to address a couple of issues which I perfectly understand. I must say this book is definitely not a cut and paste job, and all the material is new. I don't do them type of books. I love to write and record music and I put my all into every project I do.

These are all new interviews I did on the phone or by email, with great photos by 40 year long fan Paul Garbutt (great bloke), who also finishes the book with his own gig log, dating back to 77 and ending with the recent gigs and meeting the Captain. I did try to interview Dave Brock but it didn't seem possible at the time, but I understood as he was busy.

I did get John Chase on board and he was helpful with photos and memories of the band, and a host of chats and recollections from important members of the band since its birth. I really wanted to celebrate this band, with articles, interviews, pictures and pieces about all the band's musical history.

It's in a magazine type style, separated with interviews in full, pictures etc. and is not a biography in the traditional sense.

Also, I don't go into any legal stuff. There is no Brock bashing (the guy is a genius) and I am not pro Nik or anything as someone said on the forum (although I completely understand that too, if you were looking at this from the outside). I'm just an admirer sticking to the music. It's just a book written by two fans (one is a very big fan it must be said) intended to be a celebration of the band. It isn't a cash in or anything like that. It was really fun to put together and I loved every minute of doing it.

CW

http://wisdomtwinsbooks.weebly.com/books.html
238 pages
ISBN 978-1-326-77795-1

Do I think it's worth the price? Well, Chis seems a nice enough chap and genuine, and it's good to support fellow fans. The writing seems fine and interesting. And can you have too many Hawkwind books?

Watch this space for samples.....

I must be normal........

I must be normal........

Last edited by Jimski on Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:32 pm 

what a happy turn of events.

I am going to see if I can "color my day" by it after rolling around and not sleeping well

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:51 pm 

Part 1

Please excuse the formatting - it was sent in a reduced format by Chris and I modified it further to reduce the number of pages to be posted. It probably bears little resemblance to the finished article.

1.png
1.png [ 30.44 KiB | Viewed 1281 times ]

2.png
2.png [ 176.62 KiB | Viewed 1281 times ]

3.png
3.png [ 107.62 KiB | Viewed 1281 times ]

I must be normal........

I must be normal........

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:52 pm 

Part 2

4.png
4.png [ 181.57 KiB | Viewed 1281 times ]

5.png
5.png [ 99.12 KiB | Viewed 1281 times ]

6.png
6.png [ 228.82 KiB | Viewed 1281 times ]

I must be normal........

I must be normal........

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:53 pm 

Part 3

7.png
7.png [ 133.17 KiB | Viewed 1276 times ]

8.png
8.png [ 28.08 KiB | Viewed 1276 times ]

I must be normal........

I must be normal........

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:54 pm 

Part 4 - slightly different format....

9.png
9.png [ 174 KiB | Viewed 1275 times ]

10.png
10.png [ 137.69 KiB | Viewed 1275 times ]

I must be normal........

I must be normal........

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:50 pm 

Having been away for a few days, and then reading this thread, my first impressions of the book were pretty dire, to say the very least. I smiled at the "I did get John Chase on board" comment, earlier ... **** me, that's saved the day then - and by the way, who the hell is John Chase?

Apologies to poor old Mr. Chase if he's reading this. He'll maybe wonder who the hell I am... well, fair do's.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:27 pm 

I have to add that John C's a really cool fella. When I was after a camera a few months ago I ended up buying one off him (Fuji film X20 - really nice retro camera). I was lucky enough to spend a couple of hours chewing the fat at his home with him and the lovely Nikki.

Talented *and* a nice fella? Bah.

I must be normal........

I must be normal........

Last edited by Jimski on Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Board index » Test category 1 » Hawkwind Chat