Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post subject: Re: Another Hawkwind book - The Music of Hawkwind by Chris W
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:28 pm 

Lets hope the "authors" do the right thing and donate the proceeds to a Hawkwind endorsed charity.....No need for anyone to exploit Hawkwind for personal gain and a few bucks is there?? Let us know where the money is going and we will spread the word :-)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:35 pm 

I need to know where profits are going before buying non sanctioned Hawkwind material.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:53 am 

Location: Kent, UK, in an unfashionable spiral arm of the galaxy
Hawkwind wrote:Lets hope the "authors" do the right thing and donate the proceeds to a Hawkwind endorsed charity.....No need for anyone to exploit Hawkwind for personal gain and a few bucks is there?? Let us know where the money is going and we will spread the word :-)

Apologies if this has caused any issues. The writers didn't ask to be promoted here and it wasn't my intention to suggest any kind of official 'endorsement' - they're enthusiastic fans who I crossed paths with after the original post, and they weren't aware that I was the one who made it. From what I gather, the intent isn't to rip anyone off but to expand the HW mythos a little bit more and to try and cover costs of time and efforts invested.

I must be normal........

I must be normal........

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:06 pm 

This looks from what I have read to be a lot more like what I hoped it would be rather than what I suspected it would be. I hope the author understands why I might have approached with caution. As Jimski mentioned, hope it doesn't cause issues, I'm quite interested to read more of this.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:59 pm 

Copy ordered before I was aware it was not "endorsed"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:39 am 

I think it looks a decent read!

The details of the game...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:28 am 

My copy of this arrived yesterday, looks like an interesting read, there's a lot of interviews with people not traditionally spoken to in other books, like Keith Hale, Paul Hayles, **** Taylor etc. Only read the opening few paragraphs, and although it doesn't contain interviews with Dave, it does make it clear that the band has been his life's work and that he's kept it going through the ups and downs over the years.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:36 pm 

Get an IBN,sell the book for £14..its about commercial gain. Otherwise one would just blog it. Nothing wrong with a business enterprise, making a profit. It's something I do. But if your business project is a book about Hawkwind, the initial business plan must be to obtain an interview with DB. Without that the plan is flawed from the outset.

The phrase "Legal ******** " lost this customer from first read. It's not ******** if your the one paying financially and otherwise for it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:02 pm 

Finished reading the book today and really do not know what to think exactly. There are a few interesting interviews and the author does make it clear that Dave has done a great job but the other side of the coin is clearly evident with quite a few on the interviewees have a good dig at Dave.
Some of them are to be expected but there are a few barbs thrown in.

I think he has carefully chosen who he interviewed to get certain reactions - only my opinion but they seem to balance out.

For the avid fan there is not a great deal that you will not know in this book and the reviews of certain albums and time periods are the authors own views. In reality did not do a great deal for me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:49 am 

Generally I enjoyed it. Some of the reviews and opinions on the music I didn't agree with, but that's to be expected (the Take Me to Your Leader version of Spirit of the Age is better than the original? Wash your mouth out!!!).

I thought some of the interviews were interesting. I was wholly unsurprised by Turner's usual messianic crap and Alan Davey remains just as bitter and self important sounding. I thought Jerry Richards was very gentlemanly and balanced - very complementary about the band and Dave's guitar playing in particular and didn't make a big deal on his reasons for leaving. It would be nice to get to hear the so called "agreed on" mix of Distant Horizons, but I'm guessing with the reissue program over and done with that's about as likely to come out as the "proper" version of Knights of Space.

Nice to hear Keith Hale's account of the Levitation tour, and Paul Hayles' comments (his blog is very well worth reading for an account of the doomed 78 tour, and the so far partial account of the Hawkwind tour with Lastwind about ten years ago)

I thought in general the book was fairly balanced and didn't descend into the sorry back biting that occurred in Carol Clerk's book.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:00 am 

I assume no interviews with Huw, Robert C, Jason, all RIP, which would swing the balance far towards Dave's side where it belongs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:49 am 

No interviews from them no, but you have to understand it is a far from biased book, very balanced. The author does state at the beginning of the book and throughout that Dave is and has alway been the main driving force in the band, and expressed admiration for him.

In fact the co-author, who has a section in which he gives accounts of many of the 99 Hawkwind gigs he has attended, actually stated that the best gig of the lot was the most recent one on the Machine Stops tour.

An interesting anecdote was that someone supposedly "in the know" told the co author that the refreshed approach to things seen with the current lineup was mainly instigated by Dave himself.

It's also worth noting that while he wasn't interviewed directly, Dave and others were quoted throughout the book from interviews made elsewhere, be they in magazines or online.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:12 am 

Dell1972 wrote:...It would be nice to get to hear the so called "agreed on" mix of Distant Horizons, but I'm guessing with the reissue program over and done with that's about as likely to come out as the "proper" version of Knights of Space.

I always thought that album sounded a bit off mix wise in some respects, almost unfinished. From memory that's alluded to in the Carol Clerk book. Not a highlight of the back catalogue, though there are some good tracks, mostly not Brock penned numbers though, which is unusual.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:19 pm 

I've read the book now - ordered direct but cheaper via Amazon. Thought it was an enthusiastic account written by a true fan. The interviews were intriguing - certain arguments rehearsed I'd read before re the business side that are always upsetting, no matter from which quarter they come, but a joy to read about various members' involvement in touring and the music; everyone had their proud moments and they have all contributed to my joyful memories of seeing Hawkwind over several decades. The latest tour and album are praised to the skies. Would've been great to hear from some more first and second generation Hawks but delighted to see Terry O in there - maybe the others feel they've said plenty. If it ever goes to a second print my advice to the author is to invest in some professional proofing...

Board index » Test category 1 » Hawkwind Chat