Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post subject: A Hawkwind albums voting chart
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:08 pm 

Attracting some attention on Facebook is an unusual webpage ... a Hawkwind albums chart where the user can upvote or downvote the candidate albums, and the chart positions update immediately.

However, fans of the Space Ritual album needn't hurry on over there, as it's a chart for studio albums only! What's most unusual is that no login is required to vote. Despite that, the chart does have a generally familiar feel to it.

Current contenders for top spot are (guess what) - Quark and Warrior, with Doremi getting an occasional nibble at top spot or #2. Closely followed by Grill and ISOS.

www.ranker.com/list/best-hawkwind-albums-list/reference

Post subject: Re: A Hawkwind albums voting chart
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:43 pm 

cool ! thanks, Graham :-)

voted this time for Quark, Levitation, PXR5

the trifecta !

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:24 am 

When was recorded 'live 79'? Is it before PXR5 or after? It say it was recorded on winter tour, meaning what? Begining or end of the year 1979?

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:19 am 

I believe PXR5 was recorded in 1977/1978, so long before Live '79.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:18 pm 

thats right ~ PXR5 recorded at
Leicester, De Montfort Hall, 29 September 1977 (tracks 6, 7)
Hammersmith Odeon, London, 5 October 1977 (track 3)
Rockfield Studios, January 1978 tracks 1,2,8
Week Park Farm, Devon, June 1978 (tracks 4, 5)

then it was released 15 June 1979.

"Live 79" was recorded St. Albans, City Hall, 8 December 1979
(it got released in 21 July 1980)

this was an excellent period in the band's history, musically speaking, imho

❋ P.S.
the only thing i dislike about Live 79 is the track Silver Machine (Requiem ) instead of Requiem it should be called wreck-uiem. Im guessing there must've been an incident during the song that it was not completed, so they end abruptly with explosion sound effect (?)

Anyone here know if there is story behind this ?

Last edited by vikmarlo on Tue May 02, 2017 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:12 pm 

[quote="vikmarlo"]

❋ P.S.
the only thing i dislike about Live 79 is the track Silver Machine (Requiem ) quote]

I think most, if not all long term HW fans would agree with that :lol:
Yes what was the story that terminus ?

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:46 pm 

"Silver Machine" explodes part way into the song and is suffixed with "Requiem" in Brock's attempt to kill it off, being sick of this 'hit single' he was expected to play every night.

from wiki.........so it must be true ????

Maybe wasnt enough vinyl ? I quite like the finnish to live79, goes well with the pace of the album.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:50 pm 

It may be just hearsay but the memory I have is that Dave's amp blew up (and I have absolutely no recollection who told me this or how they knew - or claimed to know).

Any complete bootlegs out there? My gut feeling, though, is that the tape probably ran out.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:51 pm 

I just noticed that ¶ which Mpc just cited, which I had somehow overlooked prev.

If that is the case, then I wish he'd simply left the full song there, included "Requiem" in the title, and then just simply not played it anymore ! To detonate a bomb on a classic might be viewed as an affront to one's own art. That is unless Messrs.Calvert & Brock were in agreement it wasn't worthy of chivalry, in which case it might only be viewed an affront to fans, who placed it in the top 10.

(worth noting there doesnt seem to be a referrence marker, so who knows where this comes from)

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:11 pm 

love the album! - 'me mum's got a washing machine' - hhhhmmm - always thought that sounded a little 'jaded' for obvious reason's- simon king's drumming on brainstorm is mind blowing! - milestone!

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:20 pm 

indeed ~ sadly was virtually King's swan song.

I just placed a citation request on the Wikipedia paragraph mentioned above by Mpc ~ hopefully someone will pursue it and we can find where that comes from.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:31 pm 

Theres the complete 79 release..dodgy sound, referred to in

http://www.starfarer.net/complete79.html

sounds as if St Albans gig played full SM.

First HW gig I went to 79 tour Brighton. Pre Baker Levitation set too, King was a far better Hawkwind drummer than JB in my view,

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:44 pm 

Thanks Vik, Steam. I couldnt find it on sleeve, when pxr5 was recorded. Ok. Now I know. I also read somewhere that Dave was sick of Silver Machine thats why that kind of end on 'live 79'.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:54 pm 

It begs the question, though - if Dave was so sick of Silver Machine, why did they rework it for Choose Your Masques a couple of years later and even release it as a single?

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:45 pm 

i think Choose Your Masques was the 10th anniversary - and the Roundhouse this month 45ish - it paid for the Space Ritual tour? - so...possible boredom live and going through the motions before Sargeant Bilko late on saturday's - if memory serves - dublin 1980 encore was Master/Silver - brill!

Board index » Test category 1 » Hawkwind Chat