Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Arcade 

Welcome
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, register and join our community today

When posting to this forum you agree to the following conditions

a-
you shall not use the Sites or the Interactive Services to transmit or knowingly or recklessly receive (or knowingly or recklessly authorise or permit any other person to receive or transmit) material which is obscene, threatening, menacing, offensive, defamatory, abusive, in breach of confidence, in breach of any intellectual property right (including copyright) or otherwise violates any applicable law or regulation or code, or which makes excessive demands for bandwidth or contains any virus or which may otherwise impair or harm this forum or any third party computer system.

b -
In view of the vast flow of information transmitted via this forum each day, it is not technically possible nor economically feasible to monitor all materials that pass through the system (including, without limitation, all views and/or comments therein). Hawkwind believes that the onus for ensuring that material presented on the Internet is legal rests with the original content provider, and we will not limit access to material unless notified that it is illegal. Notwithstanding, Hawkwind shall have the right to remove any items it believes may be illegal.

Post subject: 450 quid?
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:13 pm 

Location: Kent, UK, in an unfashionable spiral arm of the galaxy
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/hawkwind-Blue-Label-/262953183830?hash=item3d393b2a56%3Ag%3AwwMAAOSwB-1Y1VPN

I must be normal........

I must be normal........

Post subject: Re: 450 quid?
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:18 pm 

Id be leary of the 'background crackle due to age' comment;
storage issues !

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:19 am 

It's gonna be CRACKLY
Seller likely honest

One of the "CD is 'god's' gift to world" albums

note: I did not look at ebay listing
I know what this one does to brains

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:31 am 

yes likely honest seller,
rather admitting (as opposed to not)
that the lp was kept in acidic inner sleeve for decades

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:36 am 

vikmarlo wrote:yes likely honest seller,
rather admitting (as opposed to not)
that the lp was kept in acidic inner sleeve for decades

After having looked, a couple hours ago, it's taken me all this time to suss what you were saying.
NOW, it suddenly dawned on me.

Regarding original inner paper sleeves, assuming that is the case here, I myself would always WANT this primarily if it is something as described as above.

Example: My black copy was bought from Canada as a DJ's item that was kept pristine and the jacket will (as mentioned here before) CREAK if opened it is so perfectly persevered.
I still have it in the paper sleeve because I have not played it yet. I expect it will be crackly even if never played once and I just have not yet felt the need.

I am certainly interested in what you know, further information but as it is, I feel comfortable enough in my own experience that I do not fear paper so long as the record is in storage and not in use.
It is only when the record will be played that they must go to Mobile Fidelity sleeves to avoid the scratching that comes from sliding in and out.

Also, in theory, any sleeve containing any degree of plastic could melt onto the vinyl if high temperature ever reared it's ugly head :)
NOT a general worry of mine since I would expect to be "ruined" in some way regardless :)

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:07 pm 

That is exactly correct - polyethylene can adhere to vinyl.

Even 100% natural silk increases in acidity over time.

purified-water (only!)-washed, unbleached muslin, white 100% cotton, non-buffered, acid& lignin-free sheet are good materials, they can be bought through many archival supply companies. glass outer protection is the proprietary move, but which necessitates an added degree of care and protection

proper archival climate control
( temp & humidity ) and regular maintenance, especially if using cotton which should be changed once a year, is critical.

At some point, in one's research of the chemistry of textiles, it is likely to dawn on one that the whole point of digitization is the elimination of all these minute and tedious concerns. Just as the film archivists have raced against time and the libraries of deteriorating celluloid to digitize and restore the legacy of film history, so must the serious vinyl collector - owners of records that have yet to be digitized and perhaps never will - utilize the optimal methods available for the extraction of sound from the grooves and into digital files which then can be readily copied and better preserved under a greater range of environmental conditions, with fewer "invaders", and over longer periods of time.

fortunately, vinyl (if stored and handled properly) is not prone to disintegration like celluloid, so the clock runs slower in that race.

Time (or rather the concept of our perception and measure of change) will always see the gradual decline and ultimate end to everything that exists.

But for now

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:17 pm 

and here I am thankful I woke up alive today :)

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:25 pm 

the only ' now ' that is relevant to us is the one in which we are conscious on some level
:-)

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:16 am 

mike coleman wrote:and here I am thankful I woke up alive today :)

"Hear, Hear "
sounds of much laughter & applause

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:14 pm 

I am using this antistatic japanese inner sleeves. I hope they are good for many years for record inside.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:55 pm 

Polypropylene is much better than PVC (polyvinyl chloride, a.k.a. Polychloroethylene ), which is definitely not recommended. Though even polypropylene can adhere to your vinyl and isn't ideal for long-term storage. High temperatures will cause fusing.

* some archival supply companies such as Gaylord

http://www.gaylord.com/c/Envelopes-Slee ... otectors-2

sell polyethylene and polypropylene sleeves, so it is safe to say these are preferred over PVC.

PVC has been the culprit that has destroyed entire libraries of vinyl records !

The sleeves from Japan (if authentic) are most probably polypropylene, which is best, though you still want to keep them in a cool, dry place and inspect them once a year* as recommended by museum archivists.

Last edited by vikmarlo on Thu May 11, 2017 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:16 pm 

Mind you, I'm no vinyl expert though I found out a thing or two about the materials used for preservation, which I have some first-hand experience with.

Gaylord Bros.
http://www.gaylord.com/

Metal Edge, Inc.
http://www.metaledgeinc.com/

Light Impressions Corp.
http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com/

Archival Products
http://www.archivalsuppliers.com/

Archivart
http://www.archivart.com/

University Products
http://www.universityproducts.com/

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:32 pm 

ahhh the CURSE of the round bottom Japanese style sleeve.

Well, I no sooner began phasing them out like this

WIN_20170511_17_25_18_Pro.jpg
WIN_20170511_17_25_18_Pro.jpg [ 68.98 KiB | Viewed 750 times ]

WIN_20170511_17_25_44_Pro.jpg
WIN_20170511_17_25_44_Pro.jpg [ 84.35 KiB | Viewed 750 times ]

WIN_20170511_17_25_58_Pro.jpg
WIN_20170511_17_25_58_Pro.jpg [ 78.62 KiB | Viewed 750 times ]

When it came to my attention just what hot property they were and a fellow Hawkwindfreeforums particeant cleaned me PLUM DRY

BTW, that's an alternate version of BEER BACCY you know.
I never knew until recently and after Trev passed
he gave me the single

ps-Vikmarlo, I did enjoy what you wrote originally, just had to make my remark in spirit of being alive!!

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:39 pm 

[quote="black adder"]I am using this antistatic japanese inner sleeves. I hope they are good for many years for record inside.

THEY ARE!!

It's what I use when the sleeve sugar daddy is away!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:51 pm 

Wow! I never new this stuff, because once before, around 20 years I had records without outer plastic sleeves, only inner of course. I sold my collection and started to buy some records again two years ago aprox. Now, this theme, I found this:

http://snvinyl.co.uk/LP-Record-Inner-An ... aoka-style

https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/726314

Now. This is new for me. Do we talk about inner sleeve for record or plastic outer sleeve which protect record sleeve?

And how do I know which plastic sleeves I have? I bought (thats how I bean told) Japanese inner sleeves. An I got german outer sleeves for cover protection. But I dont how to recognise them. I will try to take photos right now and put it here.

Board index » Test category 1 » Albums + DVD\'s Videos etc